Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/oSbYPOSgVqU

95 Kawasaki zx6 E3. 33k miles. Been tinkering with a bunch of stuff, but nothing in the top end. Rejetted Carbs, oil leak on bottom of case where oil sensor had been sheared off, did remove alternator cover in the process. Then, she just started making this noise when I was testing her.. I did try tightening the exhaust flanges. No change.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sounds like valvetrain noise. I don't know much about the bike, but it could be clearance adjustment necessary, collapsed lifter, or more serious issues.

Note: To clarify, it's either valve clearance (for solid lifters) OR a collapsed lifter (for hydraulic lifters) - depends on how your engine is designed.

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Does the noise diminish. or lessen quite a bit, when accelerating in RPM? Seems like it does but it's hard to tell from the video.
If so I'd guess it's timing chain noise probably caused by the automatic chain adjuster giving trouble.

Although, that bike has 'forked' rocker-arms with screw type valve lash adjusters. I believe they need service about every 6000 miles or so.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Yup, semifast is right. I was stuck in Volkswagen world there for a moment. No lifters - do check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input, everyone!

It does seem to "get better" at higher rpms, but I haven't run it since I recorded the vid..

I also was thinking it could be valves or cam chain tensioner, but that was just based off other YouTube vids.

Looks like I'll be getting a magnet and a feeler gauge and a micrometer. Doesn't seem too tough to check clearances and adjust on these dohc inline 4s..

Wish me luck.

Thank you all!

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
Thanks for all the input, everyone!

It does seem to "get better" at higher rpms, but I haven't run it since I recorded the vid..

I also was thinking it could be valves or cam chain tensioner, but that was just based off other YouTube vids.

Looks like I'll be getting a magnet and a feeler gauge and a micrometer. Doesn't seem too tough to check clearances and adjust on these dohc inline 4s..

Wish me luck.

Thank you all!
Accelerating in RPM.
Meaning when the RPM is 'coming up'. A lose timing chain will make a lot less noise when the engine is under a rev-up condition.

A feeler gauge and a few hand tools is all you need to adjust the valve lash when you have screw type adjusters.

And ... Good Luck to you :smile:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Your bike will thank you for it!

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Adjusting the cam chain is a two minute job, after a five minute read. Hang on, might be longer if the adjuster is at the rear of the engine. It is in front on my Yamaha.

UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts