Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since this pandemic began I have been riding, and doing more even than I would in a normal riding season. With so many places closed that I might have gone to, and if I went with my wife we would more than likely have taken one of the cars, that I am spending a good part of my day riding even if I have no destination in mind. Typically we have been riding for anywhere from two to four hours, and on those longer rides might stop and get take out for a lunch on the road. And I have to admit that our weather has been amazing lately. Day after day of mostly clear skies and temps in the high 70's to low 80's. But today I felt like I was really done in. About a two hour ride but by the time we pulled into the garage I was feeling really whipped. I didn't even stop first to fill up the tank before getting home. I just wanted the ride to be over and to get inside into my air conditioned house. The temp was 90 degrees, and while that is hot (in my opinion) I never used to let that stop me before. My normal cut off temp used to be when it got above about 93. But today, at just 90 (admittedly with high humidity as well) the last half hour of my ride was no fun at all.

Maybe this is just age or maybe its been such a great summer for riding that I forgot what a really hot day feels like. Today was one of the those days, with every car around me keeping the windows rolled up and the a/c on while I roasted waiting at a red light. I guess I am becoming a wimpy rider, but it is what it is. Now I am looking forward to Fall!

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,285 Posts
You're not a wimp. Riding in 90° + weather just plain sucks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
On The Road Again!
3,410 Posts
I agree. Riding in 90 degrees sucks!
And if you've been riding for hours every day, maybe you need a day off.
I just came back from a vacation where we rode about 200 miles every
day for nine days straight. I sure as heck needed a couple of days off
after that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in San Diego and it’s only be 90+ it’s not bad if there’s no humidity and your constant moving but if you even stop for a few mins it drain you quickly.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,285 Posts
I live in San Diego and it’s only be 90+ it’s not bad if there’s no humidity and your constant moving but if you even stop for a few mins it drain you quickly.
I live in the desert with single digit humidity. We don't even get a cool breeze. Moving in 90° plus air here is the equivalent of turning on your oven, throwing in 8 hair driers on high, crawling in and shutting the door behind you. I can't wait for the summer to be over here.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,394 Posts
Our ride was over this afternoon, it was mid 90's. We all agreed 20 degrees cooler woulda been nice. We drank lots of water.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I know what you mean. Some days the heat and humidity just take the fun out of riding for me. Don't recall that happening so much just 10 years ago, but now that I'm in my middle 60's I feel it a lot more. I don't have the stamina I had just a few years ago either.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Remind me where you are Vito? Indiana? Ohio? I think you are a great example of how to do it. Keep riding and don't let age stop you. You probably would have been hot and tired whether you had ridden or not. Some days we just don't have as much as others. I am glad you are still riding.

·
7,784 Posts
My ride will start this morning and last 3 hours in 85% humidity, approaching 90 degrees, but 70 right now!

The 1000cc Kawasaki, V-twin is raring to MOVE. The commercial ZTR's heavily padded and sprung riders seat beckons my bony arse to sit down, pull the arm rest down, throttle up and enjoy!

Yes, I'm finish mowing 7 acres again as I do every week and then it's off to work, in my new Big Horn pickup with the A/C at maximum and Chopin thumping through the Apple Car Play and Boise speakers!

I do plan to take a approx 100 mile Breakfast ride tomorrow, leaving early and getting home before the 95 degree heat wave kicks in! We are under a Severe heat warning!

Last week @ 6:30 AM, looking east and watching the Sun rise as I make my way to nourishment about 50 miles away. This is the traffic I face on the beautiful Rural roads in SW Missouri. Oh the Humanity! :)

Sam:)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remind me where you are Vito? Indiana? Ohio? I think you are a great example of how to do it. Keep riding and don't let age stop you. You probably would have been hot and tired whether you had ridden or not. Some days we just don't have as much as others. I am glad you are still riding.
I'm in Rockford, IL which is just south of the Wisconsin border and about 90 miles west of Chicago (sometimes that seems not far enough!). I'm 77 and feeling that I am in pretty good shape for my age, but both heat and cold seems to get to me more than it did when I was younger. Most likely the bike will sit for a few days as we are expecting mid 90's and high humidity for the next three days. Maybe I will take the little scooter out (a Honda PCX150) for a short zip around town before it gets too hot outside. Sometimes even just taking a 20 minute ride makes me feel that the day was not wasted.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you have it right -- any day you ride a little or a lot is a good day; recreational riding is all about (wait fer it) recreation... (or so I tell myself). With a touch of arthritis, an occasional "ouch" from old maladies and the like, the geriatric years are still good for riding... I commuted for quite a few years and many of the daily rides (150 miles round trip, rain or shine -- except for snow ice or active frost) were not particularly entertaining (and that is being generous) and stopped after non-biking injuries and other maladies -- I swore if I rode again it was just going to be for therapeutic fun; and, guess what, it is... some days a short ride, some days a longer one as the day cool, some days I just sit and think about it...

All good !!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I'm in Rockford, IL which is just south of the Wisconsin border and about 90 miles west of Chicago (sometimes that seems not far enough!). I'm 77 and feeling that I am in pretty good shape for my age, but both heat and cold seems to get to me more than it did when I was younger. Most likely the bike will sit for a few days as we are expecting mid 90's and high humidity for the next three days. Maybe I will take the little scooter out (a Honda PCX150) for a short zip around town before it gets too hot outside. Sometimes even just taking a 20 minute ride makes me feel that the day was not wasted.
Okay, I was in the general area, I knew you were in the Great Lakes region. I spent a couple summers on my aunt & uncle's farm in Ontario when I was a teenager and I remember thinking it was horribly hot and sticky...that was when I was a kid!!! If you're in the midwest and have been there your whole life, I'm not sure if you realize just how bad you've got it!!! So give yourself a break and keep riding ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Often that feeling of fatigue from riding in the summer is actually dehydration. Adding electrolytes (we use Skratch labs) at the Superbike School, helps a ton. Pack a camelback with ice water and electrolytes and see if that helps with the general feeling of fatigue and mental foggy-ness.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Last month I rode every day for a couple weeks in 100+ degree weather. First week of this month, riding in 100 degree weather. 127 Yard Sale was going on. Thought I would go see what I could find. So I rode from Chattanooga to 127 up past Dunlap and headed to Crossville. Halfway to Crossville I felt like I was about to pass out. and I'm not exaggerating, I started getting sick , 127 Yard Sale, traffic slowed to 5 mph and stop and go, tons of cars and trucks, heat coming off the road. I don't know what the temp was when I was sitting but it was well over a hundred. Only time I can remember when I hoped a thunderstorm would come over. Last three days I was out, I rode about 500 miles total and recorded it. I bet I didn't see five other bikes.

I know all about hydration and heat injuries, I spent 2 years total of my career in the Middle East in the desert, five months in temps that reached 140 and never got below 90 even at night and was never out of it, plus a dozen NTC rotations in the Mojave. Most in the summer. . Not to mention Polk, Hood and Knox. When you are in 100 degree temps, heat coming off your engine, car engines and exhaust, radiant heat from the asphalt, minimum, without working requires one litre of water per hour. WATER. To reduce heat injuries, which include heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. Taking in electrolytes alone will do nothing in that kind of heat. Except cause you to have a heat injury. You have to cool through evaporation because as you take in water, you sweat it right back out. I was in short sleeves, the best way to stay cool is in long sleeves. Old guys will remember Lister Bags, same principle. Cool through evaporation. Intake water. Watch your urine. The darker your urine is, the more you are dehydrated. Drink water until you are pissing clear. Then you are rehydrated.

Nothing wimpy about it. When I started getting sick to my stomach and feeling dizzy I knew I was headed for a heat injury if I didnt get out of that crap. I made it to the south side of Crossville, started intaking water at a gas station, rode home, parked it, and now its dropping in the 90's during the day and 70's-80's in the morning and evening. Nothing wimpy about chancing a heat injury, if you ever seen anyone who has Heat Sroke, and I have, their body temp is way up and their brain is basically boiling. too close to a heat injury, I parked it. Ill be riding again in a few days.

Take a look at soldiers operating in high temp conditions. Water. Why? Sports drinks, soda's, all that crap does not rehydrate you, it dehydrates you. If it's sweet, then it has sugar or some type of sugar additive, I dont care how many electrolytes it claims to have, it doesn't re-hydrate, it dehydrates. Five months, 90-140 degree temps living on steel. Tanks, Brads and Artillery and sandbag bunkers. Entire Task Force drank nothing but water. Sleeves down to cool through evaporation.

Water to hydrate. Long sleeves to cool through evaporation. Intake calories for energy, there is no magic pill. Headgear off unless conducting operations. Watch your piss and watch your buddy. It's supposed to be recreational vehicle riding. Nothing recreational, or fun, about wearing a helmet in 105 degrees.

I'm done riding in that kind of heat and I'm not a wimp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just bought a bike, havent ridden in 25 years. It will be a track only bike but I'm wondering how I will fair in the summer with full leathers on. I rode for 10 years and would wear a leather jacket, after falling once..but these leathers are heavy as hell. Will be interesting for sure...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You're not a wimp. Riding in 90° + weather just plain sucks.

In Urah, for the last month or so all we've had is 90-105 degrees, but with 3-15% humidity. It has cut the rides short. Still a nice ride up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons is a pleasure.It's cooler once we get above 6500 ft.

If it's not comfortable weather for riding, just skip it for a cooler day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In Urah, for the last month or so all we've had is 90-105 degrees, but with 3-15% humidity. It has cut the rides short. Still a nice ride up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons is a pleasure.It's cooler once we get above 6500 ft.

If it's not comfortable weather for riding, just skip it for a cooler day.
UTAH, not Urah.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Just bought a bike, havent ridden in 25 years. It will be a track only bike but I'm wondering how I will fair in the summer with full leathers on. I rode for 10 years and would wear a leather jacket, after falling once..but these leathers are heavy as hell. Will be interesting for sure...
Boy, track only is an expensive way to ride, isn't it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
@vito I don't blame you, this summer had some pretty brutal stretches of high heat- I'm in Milwaukee so not too far from you. The problem is the extremely high humidity that comes with the heat in our neck of the woods. The challenge is in those temperatures it makes wearing all our safety gear extremely hot. I have a lighter weight vest with a back and chest protector that I'll sometimes wear instead of my full jacket in really hot weather but it's still really hot out there.

I'm happy now that things are cooling down and looking forward to these fall rides!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts