Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 2006 gsx 600f it apprenly comes stock with a 150/70/R17 rear tire.. I have found the GSXR 600 of the same year comes stock with a 180/55/R17 tire.. can I and Should I put the wider tire on the back of my Katana.. I bought this bike used an this is my first set of tires im putting on it. Also what if any . what input do you have on whos tire and what line should I put on here ?

·
Ace Tuner
2,933 Posts
Should I put the wider tire on the back of my Katana..
No.
I don't know how wide your Kat rim is but judging by the tire size differences it's a safe bet (sure bet) that your rim is too narrow for a 180/55 to work properly even if there is enough clearance when mounted.
Work properly meaning it will Screw Up Handling along with reducing contact patch size due to what I call 'pinch down'.

S F

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
The wider lower profile tyre, will not handle the same. The gearing will change, and the cornering attitude will change. Put on the tyre that the manufacturer prescribes. UK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No.
I don't know how wide your Kat rim is but judging by the tire size differences it's a safe bet (sure bet) that your rim is too narrow for a 180/55 to work properly even if there is enough clearance when mounted.
Work properly meaning it will Screw Up Handling along with reducing contact patch size due to what I call 'pinch down'.

S F
well the reason why its questionable is.. I do a lot of work on cars.. and in the car tire world .. a 150/70 an a 180/55 are really close in size because the 70 or 55 although its a height ratio it more determines the angle or curve of the tire which in motorcycle tires. from the research I've done.. just means same tire , more road surface .. depending on the carcuss of the tire ofcourse ,, maybe I'm over anylizing this to much .. iim going to the local shop an putting them side by side with a tape measure ... also in care world . most rims will take diffrent widths of tire . like my truck for example will take I think it's a 205 to a 270

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Just get the factory size tire you need. Most all tire makers have different models of tires depending on what you want. You can get sticky sport tires if riding twisty roads as fast as you can is your thing, or longer lasting touring tires if that's what you want.
Or you can just get round and black cheapie tires that will hold air just to keep your rims off the pavement. How long they last or how sticky they are is a crap shoot, but hey, they're cheap. Read some reviews of the tires your interested in, I mean read the reviews that start out "I put these tires on a 2018 XXXXXX and they are great, poor, crap, fair, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
215 Posts
On car/truck tires, a given size tire will have an allowable range of rim width.... but the range isn't that great, even more so with a low aspect ratio tire. Some of the 35 aspect ratio tires specify a certain rim width.... NO VARIATION. As mentioned earlier, the "pinch" will change the profile of the tire if the rim is too narrow..... that will change the handling characteristics, and will almost certainly decrease the mileage you get out of the tire.

The only change I've made from factory specs was going to a 55 aspect ratio from a 50 on the rear tire of a Concours 14.... made it easier to turn in, where the 50 wanted to go straight.

·
Ace Tuner
2,933 Posts
from the research I've done.. just means same tire , more road surface
When installing a tire that is too large for the rim width you not only end up with an out of shape tire profile (screwing handling) but you will actually end up with a smaller contact patch. The reason is 'pinch down' that is directly due to the too narrow rim width. Because of pinch down there will be a good portion of tread on both sides of the tire that will be pinched down so much that to ever use any of that pinched down tread the rider would need to be dragging the handlebars half way up to the triple clamps. In other words the considerably large pinched down traded area of the tire will be nearly vertical and impossible to make contact with the road surface.
I know about modern motorcycle tires and fitment. Can't tell you much about automobile tire fitment other than to say that auto / motorcycle tire fitment information does not crossover.

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
205 to 270 is a very wide range, while you may be able to put them on your rims they won't fit correctly. I went from a 245 to a 255 tire on my sportscar and had to go from an 8" rim to an 8.5" to get a proper fit. Just don't do it.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
215 Posts
205 to 270 is a very wide range, while you may be able to put them on your rims they won't fit correctly. I went from a 245 to a 255 tire on my sportscar and had to go from an 8" rim to an 8.5" to get a proper fit. Just don't do it.
Betcha that was a low aspect ratio tire... like 60 or even a 50?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts