Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Okay im completely lost, someone please help..

I bought a gs500f 2005 6 months ago running great. During lockdown it was left in the garage for 2 months. After those two months it had trouble starting and ruinning whcih turned out to be one of the two carbs having its float stuck closed. Fair enough, stupid me left the fuel sitting in it. Pulled the carbs, cleaned the jets and needles. Added some injector/carb cleaner to the fuel as well to clean out anything i missed. Ran great for about 1 month. Then the same carb that had gotten stuck closed got stuck open while on a ride. It got stuck open on a hard pull, quite high in the rpm. No amount of smashing the carb with a screwdriver helped. Made it the short distance home and took it apart. Sparkplug was fouled and a little fuel had gotten in the oil. When i took it apart float was not stuck but there was a small amount of debri in the float bowel. New sparkplugs, oil, clean carbs, later everything was working again. Took it for a long ride and evey once in a while (2 hours or so) it would get stuck open for 5 minutes or so but then itd fix itself.

Now i was confused, intermitend overflowing? Now its apart again, ive had a look at the tank, not rusty, clean fuel comes out. Took the filter out of the tank, no holes in the meshing and looking really clean. Ive completely emptied the tank anyway. Taken the seat out of the carb (its always the same carb that is having issues) o-ring that seals around the seat looks good. needle goes into the seat nicely and definitley seals well. Ive used some polishing coumpuond to polish the seat but its closing fine whenever i test it in or out of the carb. Im about to give up, i cant see whats wrong..

American Legion Rider
It would sure be nice and appreciated, if you would introduce yourself to the community in the New Member Introduction forum. Folks tend to open up more if they believe they know someone just a little bit. 馃憤

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Blow out the fuel line leading to that carb

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I've replaced all the fuel lines, the only thing I could try is separate the two carbs and check the metal connection that supplies fuel to each separate carb? But that's only a 2cm piece or so. I'd say unlikely to be dirty on one side only. I'll clean it anyway, get rid of any possibilities

1 - 5 of 5 Posts