Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is my problem.

I recently have had my bike fixed at a shop because of light problems and they fixed it perfect. I brought home my bike and went for a test ride, maybe about 30 minutes in total. On my way back home I noticed that it was having problems whenever idling and then it died at every red light and stop sign. I got it home and thought it might have been the carbs so I took them apart and gave them a thorough clean. I placed them back on the bike and started it up.....that's when I noticed them both leaking from where it connected to the clamps of the air cleaner.

Any ideas everyone? I have been reading around where I might have to rebuild it but I am hoping it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Float levels set too high or bad needle and/or seat. By the time they shut off the flow of fuel (if they do) its too late.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Float levels set too high or bad needle and/or seat. By the time they shut off the flow of fuel (if they do) its too late.
I was thinking it could be the needle. Is there anyway I can test either the float levels or needle? Also, what do you mean by the seat?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Simply, the seat is the hole that the needle sits in. You can generally tell if the nedle is worn by looking at it with a magnifying glass. If you can see any rings around the tapered part, you need new ones.

I don't know your bike, but often times when you screw the idle jet in and then back it out a certain number of turns, dirt in there prevents you from really FEELING when that needle seats- so you just wank on it until it stops. A lot of times that will ruin them. Good cleaning will let you feel when it seats so you don't mar them. Depending on your carbs, you probably have more than one set of needles / jets. Ron Ayers site has a good parts blow-up section so you can get an idea of what the little bits look like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts