Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a way to make excellent carb boots from plumbing parts:

1) Get a pair of 1 1/2" Fernco couplings from the plumbing section of your local hardware store; they're often used to join cast iron pipe.

2) Remove the metal sleeve and turn the rubber inside out.

3) Fold the rubber into a "U" shape, put it into the carb port on the airbox, and let the rubber pop back into a circle. Make sure the outer ridge on the rubber boot is firmly seated against the inner ridge inside the airbox. This creates a tight seal between the rubber and the airbox.

4) Remove and trim to length. I had to cut about 1/8" off the rubber boot to get it to fit my carbs. If you cut too much off, just turn the rubber boot around and try again on the other side. Now is a good time to trim off the bits of excess rubber from the molding process.

5) Re-install rubber and install your carbs.

It helps to lubricate the carbs with some motor oil to help the boots slide on, since they do have a tight fit. I don't recommend lubricating the outside of the boots since this can cause them to slide into the airbox when you try to get them over the carbs. These homemade boots worked way better than I expected for $10 worth of plumbing parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Looks like an interesting and imaginative replacement. Mine would prove to be a bit more difficult as the diameter of the carb side is different than the diameter of the air box side.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
You may want to use a different lube than motor oil, as petroleum attacks rubber that isn't made to carry it. Red grease, or silicone grease, would be a better choice. If it works for the GS450, great, but, as pointed out, many bikes have boots from the air cleaner are tapered inside, to provide a velocity stack type function, so this will only work for a the few that don't taper or curve. Still, good engineering for your bike.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Fernco has these unions to fit the common iron pipe sizes. The sizes most likely to be of interest to us are
1" nominal 1.315" OD
1-1/4 1.660
1-1/2 1.90

I think they also make a couple of adaptor unions which convert from one pipe size to another. It's a good quality rubber, and could probably be stretched quite a bit before splitting. If I wanted to do that, I'd boil the fitting in a pot of water, then jam it over a mandrel and let it cool to stretch it. Liquid dish detergent makes a good lubricant for this kind of fun. A heat gun might also work some magic, but if you get too hot, it will melt into goo.

One can also create makeshift boots out of radiator hose, or other rubber hose. I suppose duck tape could get you down the road in a pinch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts