Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few months I will turn 70 and be in my 55th year of riding. I have done long trips, high speed, racing, and just about everything else there is to do in biking but none of that interests me any more. I'd rather ride my Hawg down dirt roads with no particular place to go and no schedule when to get there. I like to stop on a hill or in a valley, have a smoke, and just look at the scenery. It is a particularly good day if I realize I have no idea where I am or how to get back to "civilization"!

I don't care to waste my time among most riders. I got no use for the "wet behind the ears" youngsters/novices who think they are something special. Got no use for anyone wearing MC "colours" either. I spent my life trying to make this a better place to live and got no tolerance for crooks, thugs and bullies!

About the only human company I enjoy now is "crusty old bikers". I guess I am becoming one LOL!

How has your life's journey on two wheels effected you?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'll just say that out of the 1000's of miles I might ride each year, normally less than 100 will be with other motorcycles.

I have never been one to worry about what someone else thinks about what I do. My wife of 30 years being the rare exception, she might say otherwise.

I don't know that riding a motorcycle changed that. I bought my first street bike at 19 and I will only be 54 in a couple months. So I really don't know what I would have been like without the bikes involvement. Less satisfied I would guess.

My grand kids help me be less grumpy, someone else's might not...

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I'm with George. To garble an old expression, you can make a man out of a boy, but you can't take the boy out of a man.

Reactions: Porky

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Riding is like therapy for me. Having a bad day? Swing a leg over something and feel it all melt away. Get enough bikes and you'll have a ride for every feeling. Sometimes it's nice to just take a ride to a random destination without any timetable. Sometimes I'll ride up to the next major city, go for a swim in the lake, then storm down country roads watching a sunset. Bikes are absolute heaven.

Reactions: Herrick and Critter

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Riding is like therapy for me. Having a bad day? Swing a leg over something and feel it all melt away. Get enough bikes and you'll have a ride for every feeling. Sometimes it's nice to just take a ride to a random destination without any timetable. Sometimes I'll ride up to the next major city, go for a swim in the lake, then storm down country roads watching a sunset. Bikes are absolute heaven.
WHY oh WHY would you ride to ANY major city?
I stay as far away from cities as I can.
The more grass and trees I see, the better I like it!

Reactions: Porky

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Milwaukee's a pretty fun city to ride in. I've never been there when there was anything resembling traffic. Chicago's a bit less fun, but Lake Shore Drive and Lower Wacker are definitely highlights during times of no congestion.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Most of my hair is turning grey or turning loose so I can relate to being old and grumpy as well. But I can say I do still enjoy riding with all types of riders on all types of bikes on almost all types of rides. I am also perfectly happy riding alone just enjoying the opportunity. Even city riding, although not in the class of the wide open spaces, is still preferable to driving in any cage. Slow riders? Hey I get to enjoy the scenery. Fast riders? Heck yea I am still up for that, especially in the twisties. I can even keep up with the sport bike riders in those twisties unless they are very accomplished, I even pass the average ones with regularity. I guess I am a bit of an old codger when it comes to temperature. I try to avoid much riding when it gets to the 30s or over 105. Anyway I bought this bike two years ago when I turned 60 and 33,000 miles later (recreation only, no commuting) I feel it is one of the best things I have ever bought, keeps me young. Lol. Besides riding itself the best thing about this passion is meeting new friends of all ages who really are true friends and will help out other riders at the proverbial drop of the hat.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Grumpy Old Biker?

P.S. How could ANYONE be grumpy when riding a bike??? :grin:

Reactions: soxOZ

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm 64 now. So I'm not too far behind you. I still like meeting other riders and sometimes riding along with someone else. But the majority of the time it's just me, myself and I.
(And sometimes The Eagles, George Thorogood, Bad Company, Foghat and George Strait!) ?

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I'm almost 76 and do almost all my riding solo. I used to have some riding friends, but they have either passed on or are essentially no longer riding (one still owns a bike, which he says he loves to ride, but has not actually ridden in about two years now). And my solo riding is now really solo, since my wife has decided with her bad back it just makes her too nervous getting on and off the bike, even one as comfortable as my Goldwing. I did try to ride with the local Goldwing riders club, but even though I am as old or older than many or most of the members, I always felt like they were a bunch of old codgers and I was the young one! Many in the club are far more interested in spending hours at lunch rather than being out on the road, so I have pretty much given up with that group.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
" My friends are gone and my hair is grey, I ache in the places where I used to play " Leonard Cohen.

Most larger populated places have some kind of bike gathering. If not they should have. A group meets every Sunday not far from here. Most are retired and ride a variety of bikes. A friend and guy I used to race against, is 76.
He is still probably faster than most through the twisties. Has a 500 something making 60 hp.

Guy I bought Noddy the Triumph from, has an 850 Guzzi, plus a few other bikes. I might go tomorrow if the sun shines, but we are in the rainy season.

I should add. The bikes that weigh less, are easier to ride IMO. Took the 375 pound XS400 to darts last night. When the 500 plus pound bikes get to heavy to move around, I guess they will get parked. Light weight solo, and the side car outfit will do the work.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
In the last couple years, when I get back from a nice long ride of a couple two or three thousands miles, I've parked the bike and may not get back on it for a couple weeks.

I don't heal as fast as I used to and it takes longer to get over the aching hind quarters.
But I don't plan on stopping yet. ?

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I'm almost 76 and do almost all my riding solo. I used to have some riding friends, but they have either passed on or are essentially no longer riding (one still owns a bike, which he says he loves to ride, but has not actually ridden in about two years now). And my solo riding is now really solo, since my wife has decided with her bad back it just makes her too nervous getting on and off the bike, even one as comfortable as my Goldwing. I did try to ride with the local Goldwing riders club, but even though I am as old or older than many or most of the members, I always felt like they were a bunch of old codgers and I was the young one! Many in the club are far more interested in spending hours at lunch rather than being out on the road, so I have pretty much given up with that group.
I'll be 69 in a few weeks, but I have the opposite problem.
Most of my friends are younger than me, some of them a LOT younger.
But getting them out for a ride is like pulling teeth.
The line I always hear is, "Ok, but I can't be gone too long. I have to get back home."
I tell 'em, "If you have to be home, why leave? You're already there!"
That doesn't go over very well.

·
Banned
87 Posts
62 here. It will be 87 here in the desert tomorrow but we will be riding about 1-1/2 to 2 hours up to a little over 9000 feet where there are pine trees and will for sure be snow still on the ground. A very twisty mountain road and I will be the oldest, but I will be waiting for the youngsters at the top for sure. Well if 40 plus is young.

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
How has my life's journey on two wheels effected me? Hum...

Well I ruined my motorcycle / high performance / racing hobby when I turned motorcycles into a profession.
I'm not liked by non-riders that think all M/C riders are criminal gang types. (That ain't me).
I once had a preacher tell me I was going to hell just for owning motorcycles, not to mention racing them too!
On the flip side...
When I redline the engine then shift into 6th gear I can't remember a single problem I have, or had.
When I hang-off and blast thru some of my favorite corners,^ see the sentence above.
Going out to scuff in new sport tires is always fun.
I love the reaction I get from people after they ask how fast THIS bike will go.
When traveling on the bike I enjoy telling little old ladies all about where I'm from, going and been.
And last but not least, all the kids wave to me as I ride by.

So,
How has my life's journey on two wheels effected me?
I wouldn't know. I've never not been a motorcycle guy....
Hum

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Pretty Near that 70 mark myself .. May not Ride as often or as far as used to but a Ride is still my Best Therapy .. As far as Grumpy Goes my Grandkids got me a Grumpy T shirt at Disney World years ago .. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts