Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day so I decide I'll replace the rollers, guides and belt on my Vespa.

I've worked on a few scooters before, I have SOME idea what's required, tools, etc.

As expected removing the body panels (tupperware) without any clues to how it's attached....

WITHOUT BREAKING IT....

Is the single hardest part.

To get at the airbox, and cover over the variator/clutch/belt, I have to remove part of the skirt over the rear wheel,

which is attached by FOUR DIFFERENT TYPES OF FASTENERS

a phillips screw at the very front
tab in slot pieces at the front
large phillips screws securing the tail assembly (underneath the taillight on)
guide pins into rubber grippers - the kind that snap into piece and often break when you try and unsnap 'em
11mm bolts accessible from the underside you discover once you've loosened EVERYTHING else and it still won't come off

Really? REALLY?

Sure, if I'd been working on Vespas for years I'd know exactly where to look and in what order to remove each fastener.

Instead I have to loosen, jiggle, lay on my back and look up, get a flashlight, jiggle some more. deduce where the NEXT fastener must be located

Why do they do this? To make sure NO ONE tries to work on their own bike? To sell replacement trim pieces to those who do.

As for the airbox, it's secured by 7? 8? essentially "wood screws" driven into plastic which means after 3 or 4 removal/replacements half will be stripped permanently.

You'd better think about this sort of design quality before you buy Italian...

Of course ONE (and only one) of the cover screws is obscured by the airbox so it MUST be removed before you can remove the cover..

I probably already mentioned having to order a special tool to remove the swingarm in order to change a flatted tire...

How simple can I make this. Buy a Japanese scooter and leave Vespas to the masochists... no matter how pretty they are...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
About 30 years ago I had a Honda Elite 150. Since nothing ever went wrong in the 3 years I owned it, I never had to find out how easy or hard it would have been to work on. I just added gas and rode. It sure was a fun bike and could do about 65 mph on a good day.

·
8,613 Posts
Maintenance is made much more difficult on any scooter or motorcycle that has most or all of it's drivetrain hidden but the positives are normally very clean operation so the rider is out of the wind and elements. This plastic/ tupperware also makes the vehicle very easy to keep clean and detail.

One of the reasons that Harley Davidson's are so popular is because everything is for the most part out in the open and easy to get at to clean or service.

You could do a top end overhaul on a big twin HD in the time it takes to change the air filter on a Goldwing;)

Valve adjustments on a Vespa require that the engine/ drivetrain be disconnected from the frame and dropped down/ moved back so that the valve cover is accessible.

There are lots of terrible designs out there but the lack of easy maintenance makes money for the dealer's;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts