Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need about 1/8" off the plug so it will clear my engine guards while doing an oil change. A friend of mine already took some off of the cap side. Think it would be ok if I did a little more on the cap side and a little bit off of the thread side?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Cap side: Take as much off as you need, as long as you can still get a tool on it to turn it to specs.

Thread side: If it's a straight thread you can take off as much as you want, as long as you leave enough un-altered threads to make full contact with the threads in the oil pan.

If it's a taper thread, um, I'm not sure. You'd have to do some careful measuring first.

·
8,613 Posts
Must be a bad design on your engine guards.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure it's a straight thread and yes, very bad design seeing as how they were made for my bike. My friend has a machine that'll take that off...I forget what it is called...lathe maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
If you can, measure the depth of the threaded hole in the oil pan; the plug doesn't have to go much past that. I have an engine with the threads about 5/16" through the (aluminum) pan, and the oil plug is over 1/2"; if it caused a clearance problem, I would take the plug down to about 3/8" without hesitation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts