Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6. Towards the end of last year someone attempted to steal it and broke my ignition. I ordered a new ignition off ebay and installed it but when I connected the battery (the would be thieves had disconnected it) a wire up near the ignition coils that is bolted to the frame (Assuming the ground wire) started smoking really bad and got red hot. Any ideas what could be causing this or how I would fix it? Any ideas would be helpful. I'm not so good with electrical systems.

Thanks!

·
Psychotic Reader
638 Posts
I'm calling the key switch...unless you know it is exactly the same, or it is pinned wrong on the plug-in
There should be no hot wires with the key off and the battery hooked up except possibly the horn button.

My .02, so verify with a wiring diagram of that bike to check exactly what wire melted (may look like a ground but not really be)

Wayne S

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Definitely get a wiring diagram, did you hook everything up properly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys, Thanks for the tips. To test the theory I went out and unplugged the ignition from the wiring harness and tried connecting the battery again. I am still getting sparks when I try to connect it and the wire is still heating up. I am thinking that something may have happened when they tried to steal it because they had the ignition broken and all of the wires twisted together. I'll take a look at a wiring diagram. In the meantime, any other thoughts??

THANKS!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, this is the first time I have tried to reconnect the battery since the theft and the thieves had it disconnected.

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
Your only real choice is to get a wiring diagram and start tracing wires. A multimeter will be really useful here!

·
Blood Type: 10W 30
389 Posts
Basically you look at the wiring diagram and use your multimeter on the bike to see if it agrees with the diagram. If it doesn't, fix it so it does!

·
Registered
5 Posts
the diagram will say wire color and let you know for sure it is a ground. Also make sure it is not pinched or touching some other wire making contact with something it shouldn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts