Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been interested in these bikes for a while now. I figured i would default to a Grom since i am a Honda fan and have the Honda motorcycle and Honda Civic.

But looking over the specs / user reviews / maintenance procedure requirement videos/ I decided to get a 2017 Z125 pro on Friday November 16
Factors influencing the decision was the promo on the bike (900$ off list) and the weather. Been decent weather here the last little while and though too cold
to really enjoy the big bike, the little 125 is perfect for city carving.

I did think of a new or slightly used scooter. But the price of a 2018 BWs 50 was more than the z125. I really do like the Yamaha Smax but maintenance is more involved.

The Z125 pro suspension is excellent. I did not feel like i was on a small bike, it handled bumps and rough road surprisingly well. While no speed demon the bike does well and is happiest
at the 80kph range. Managed to ride it every day this past weekend and put it away with over 200km on odo.

the other reason for the Z over the Grom was oil change. Really simple on the Z / drain plug and filter that are easy to get to. The Grom has a screen and oil spinner. To service that you have to take
the whole side of the engine case off. Comparing the valve clearance inspection, the first one is at 10k km on the Z (the Yamaha Smax is every 3k km) and it looks pretty easy to do on the Z125.

The Z125 looks so tiny when parked next to my NC750. Could almost put the Z in the Frunk as a spare bike :)

My dealer /salesrep is really cool. They had some helmets on sale. I almost got one on new bike day. There was a HJC CL17 that had green graphics that matched to bikes color. But left it for the day. Went back on Saturday. The helmet was gone from the display. The salesrep put it aside with my name on it as he figured i would be back for it.

Pic of bike and helmet

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the comparison, I sort of have a desire for one of these and I never thought of some of the things you said.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't think you would've gone wrong with either bike. But you did your homework, applied your own needs/preferences, and made the choice -- that's the way to do it!

You'll like the CL17. To me it's one of the best helmets out there, regardless of price, but ESPECIALLY for the price!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in the market for a bike like that. Id like to buy two of them though, the kid and woman will want to ride too.

Been looking at the cheaper machines, Razkull, hellcat and the Vader. I will probably get a Grom and trade in my scooter

The Z125Pro looks like a sweet bike.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i guess my only complaint about this bike. (well goes for other bikes in this class too) It was hard to fill the tires with air. I could check the pressure ok but could not put any air in.
I use a bicycle pump and i could not get it to fit and lock in on the rear wheel. In the past i had got some of those screw in valve elbows. I have also used a screw in hose (made to fit on dually truck tires)

did a search and could not find them anywhere in the house. So i went to autoparts store on Sunday and got another set of the dually hose things.

more on the Grom vs Z125. From all i have checked one thing was that on the Grom, the stock suspension is **** (pogo stick bottom out bad) where the stock suspension on the Z125 is excellent.
Some liked the Grom all digital dash better but i prefer the Z with an analog tach and digital everything else (gas gauge. 2 trip. odo. clock. speedo.). I also like that the Z has a larger fuel tank. (7.4L vs 5.5L)

one thing that felt weird until i got used to it, because of the front tire size on the Z (100/90 - 12) slow speed (walking speed) felt notchy (like this is a bad steering head bearing) but at higher speed this makes the Z turn on a dime.

Stock brakes on the Grom are better it is said, Front brake on the Z is weak - might get better as they break in more. Folks were doing stoppies ok on both bikes. So far i agree though, front is a bit weaker than i would expect. I suspect it may be due to the single piston on Z front brake compared to dual piston on the Grom.

seat height is taller on the Z and seat is more comfortable compared to the Grom and the Grom seat is separated by the passenger / driver hump. The Z seat is flat all the way to back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts