Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Visionary
4,083 Posts
7 year old thread and video but it's actually a really good and simple one. Slight changes in body position, like the video showed can really help increase your ground clearance and ensure that you don't scrape the floorboards or pegs while riding. I also like that he mentioned different lines and how placement on the road dictates how much lean angle you might need.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in detail was how the throttle can play a role in ground clearance and how well your suspension works. What is the ideal throttle control scenario and how might it help or hinder ground clearance?
I had a fun way to prove to myself that body position makes a big difference in scraping vs not scraping. I have a tight, uphill right curve that I take every day, it's on the ramp headed into my parking lot at work, and since it's always the same, safe and empty ( it's a single lane, one direction traffic and deserted at 4am) I play with it most days. I eventually got to the point that I was taking the same line and tapping the floorboard on the ground every time going through it, I knew just how fast to be going in second gear and that was the result. I started playing with body position and now I go through it faster without ever touching just by moving my body in the right direction.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,455 Posts
My Yammie will drag a peg easily if I don't shift my weight to the inside and with this much weight it stands all most straight up ;)

·
American Legion Rider
22,480 Posts
I've only dragged hard parts 3 or 4 times but I have always had the suspension set for heavy 2 up riding but ride solo. I've always felt many over lean because they don't take advantage of counter-steering except for those on very low bikes to begin with. But I doubt anyone would admit that's the case.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a fun way to prove to myself that body position makes a big difference in scraping vs not scraping. I have a tight, uphill right curve that I take every day, it's on the ramp headed into my parking lot at work, and since it's always the same, safe and empty ( it's a single lane, one direction traffic and deserted at 4am) I play with it most days. I eventually got to the point that I was taking the same line and tapping the floorboard on the ground every time going through it, I knew just how fast to be going in second gear and that was the result. I started playing with body position and now I go through it faster without ever touching just by moving my body in the right direction.
Perfect! That's exactly it. Slight changes in body position and throttle application can make a huge difference to ground clearance/suspension feel and whether or not you grind pegs or not!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts