Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Thank you for that video. It was great! I really need to work on moving my body around on the bike more.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
I must be a wuss cause I have NEVER dragged a peg or floorboard. Crash yes, drag no. And that's 40 years on all kinds of bikes.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
I dragged my floorboards the second day I rode.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I drug peg on this one the day after I brought her home. I came into a curve on the rattlesnake a little hot and it was either eat the dually that was in the oncoming lane or lean more. Oddly enough after 30,000 miles on my sport tour I never drug a peg, on this one, well let's just say it handles better than the sport tour.:D

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
I dragged my floorboards the second day I rode.
I must ride different than most. I've kept up with the best of the BMW canyon racers in my wife's BMW club. Actually they would pull away on the straights but I could catch up in the turns. And still never drug a floorboard.

I think I just sit in the saddle different. More like Crash suggested about body placement. But the thing is I don't realize I'm doing it. But I don't like trusting that little bitty contact patch on aggressive leans by leaning over more so I must do it with my body. I'm just not aware that is what I'm doing.

Guess I've just done it that way so long but I always thought it was a result of counter steering. What ever I do, it results in never dragging a floorboard. Never thought that was weird until now. I leave people in the twisties all the time so now I've to pay attention and see why. But if I pay attention will I do it the same way?

I hate it when I'm so different than everyone else!:mad: Maybe because I taught myself to ride I didn't learn what you can't do.:thumbsup:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I must ride different than most.
Nothing wrong with cleanly taking a corner and not dragging. You are using finesse and good body positioning.

Intentionally dragging a peg is fun just to see how low you can get in the corners. If they catch you by surprise, it can be unsettling.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Well I take the statement "never dragged" back. I apparently did drag the right one once. Got a bone graft to prove it.:D

·
10,757 Posts
My Heritage is always dragging the boards. Trade off between seat height and ground clearance. The Ultra's boards are much higher and I do not think I have ever scraped them. Capt. great video. Love the production quality and the effort that went into it. Excellent information as well. I forget when I am not on a sporty bike that I can still do some body movements. Generally I just stay glued to the seat. Time to start practicing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
thanks for the reminder. I need to get out there and deliberately drag some pegs again. after you've got used to the clearances on a bike - it seems like it almost happens naturally that you don't drag pegs. I can ride the whole Angeles Crest in LA at pretty good speeds and never drag a peg these days. It means my brain has learned where those clearances are.

but it's important to get out there and scrape the hardware.
so I'll do it :)

dT

·
Hooker
921 Posts
Nice vid. Made me realize I really do need to be aware of my lane position when taking a turn. I was just thinking this morning that it seems like I've been cutting it a little too close.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
If you put outriggers on, they are bound to grind. Let me know when you touch the cylinder heads of a BMW boxer. UK

·
13,461 Posts
7 year old thread

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
7 year old thread
Yep, and yet another controversial member(heyimjason) that just vanished. I'd really like to know how many members that just seemed to vanish are back here with a different userid simply because they forgot their password. I just may have to get VerticalScope to write me a program I can run to check for multiple userids then do some deleting since the rules say you can only have one. I'd much rather merge the two or more into one but rules are rules.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I am the same since day one. We did alter the spelling of Krusty from Crusty. I do not appear under any other name. Do not have time to play games. UK

·
13,461 Posts
We have lost quite a few for sure

·
Registered
399 Posts
7 year old thread and video but it's actually a really good and simple one. Slight changes in body position, like the video showed can really help increase your ground clearance and ensure that you don't scrape the floorboards or pegs while riding. I also like that he mentioned different lines and how placement on the road dictates how much lean angle you might need.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in detail was how the throttle can play a role in ground clearance and how well your suspension works. What is the ideal throttle control scenario and how might it help or hinder ground clearance?

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Don't know what happened to Crash but he did put out some amazingly good video information.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts