Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm happy my usual forum name, Bass Cadet, is available. I play all sorts of bass instruments: electric bass guitar (fretted and fretless), acoustic bass guitar, double bass, electric upright bass, and even an Ashbory bass. I guess I collect basses more than I play.

I recently passed my MSF course and got my motorcycle endorsement. I've been wanting to ride for decades (mid 50s now). I've dabbled with electric bikes and even an electric scooter, but finally decided to just get my M1 endorsement so I can ride anything on two wheels.

My motorcycle is a 2014 Zero S. It's great! I mostly use it to commute to work and it makes the commute more interesting and enjoyable. Plus I can plug it in at work and ride for free. Can't ask for more.

No real questions yet since I've only been riding about a month.

Bass Cadet

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

We have a few musician here that you should fit right in with in addition to motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Hello Bass Cadet, from Arkansas. When I saw "Bass Cadet" I thought you were a fisherman. I played an electric bass guitar years ago and if I had one to practice with, I might could do it again. :)

Nowadays it's just an acoustic 6 string. Been playing one for years now, but when I hear a pro, I know I'm still just a beginner. :(

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Welcome to a great Forum that I'm sure you will enjoy:grin:

I was born in Lynwood, in southern California, with offices in Los Angeles and residence in Hemet, CA. We moved to SW Missouri in 1999. I miss the Ocean, Mountains and great Harley Davidson club rides:smile_big:

Electric motorcycles intrigue me and would be perfect for my short 20 mile round trip commute to work.:smile:

Sam:nerd:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Welcome
I'm in my mid 50's and went to high school in the Sab Gabriel valley. Where in the south land are you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, can't seem to login in from another computer so will try posting from my phone.

I am in Orange County, in the Huntington Beach area, but grew up in the San Fernando Valley. I guess I haven't moved much compared to some of you.

It's all good. It may be more crowded here but we can ride year round. Or so I think.

BC

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm all for year round riding. Would like to live in a place that when people were complaining about the cold, it was still 50 degrees outside. More riding, less hemorrhoids, that's the plan. :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Small world:

My Wife and I both worked at her Brother's Printing business on San Gabriel blvd, in San Gabriel:smile_big:

Huntington beach was my High School and College stomping grounds and fished and surfed there and at Seal Beach for years and we always launched our Powerboat from Huntington Harbor, when it wasn't in a private Marina.:grin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small world:

Huntington beach was my High School and College stomping grounds and fished and surfed there and at Seal Beach for years and we always launched our Powerboat from Huntington Harbor, when it wasn't in a private Marina.:grin:

Really small world: I used to collect plankton :nerd: from the pier in Huntington Harbour right by a launch area (off Warner).

I'm also an amateur extra class, but haven't done much with it. Too many hobbies, not enough time. At least with motorcycles I can get in some seat time while commuting.:thumbsup:

BC

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
There are several of us hams on here.
I'm a general class myself.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I reckon I'm so far down on the totem pole, I didn't know there were any classes between beginner and pro...

Oh, oh, now I remember one, accomplished! But I don't know where that fits in or is even used anymore... (Shows how much I keep up.) :)

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
amateur extra

I never drew a connection with that phrase and Porky’s site handle. Or maybe there isn’t one and it’s just a coincidence that Porky was a pig and that’s where hams come from and a amateur extra is a ham. Reading too much into it am I? Okay, that’s how slow I am to even notice that. I always thought it was just a stage thing and being funny about an extra. Head in the total wrong place for sure. :sad: :sad:

Sent by one or two fingers.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
What could be more fitting than to be called "PORKY," and be a "HAM RADIO OPERATOR," and be a long time member of HOG (Harley owners group):grin:

My 'Handle' PORKY was the name I gave my first Harley Electra Glide because it was pretty chunky:grin:

AMATEUR EXTRA is the highest and most coveted FCC license classification other than an FCC radio station broadcasting license. Here's an interesting link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_licensing_in_the_United_States

I for some reason desire a very thick and juicy hot ham and cheese sandwich--join me?:smile_big:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, that’s how slow I am to even notice that. I always thought it was just a stage thing and being funny about an extra. Head in the total wrong place for sure. :sad: :sad:
You and me both. I didn't get the HOG tie in. I kind of got the Porky and amateur radio operator tie. Does this mean I should trade the Zero for an HD Livewire to get the full ham experience?

Interesting there are other amateur radio operators who ride, too. Is it a thing to put mobile rigs in motorcycles? I could see doing that with a nice touring bike.

BC

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Today, with all of the smaller 2M-440-220 rigs around, it is easy to use one on a bike. There are also LOTS of repeaters that would provide good coverage and most will LINK now to Statewide or even Nationwide coverage.:grin:

I have known people in my HAM clubs that use mobile and even base station rigs on their Motorcycles and they work well. :smile_big:

My 2 latest UHF-VHF Tranceiver's are: Yaesu FT50R, 6 watt, all bands receive, 2M-440. It is a few years old and by the way, they have been making it since 1995 at least, being almost the exact HT. I bought my new one when I got my 'No code Tech' Lic in 1995.:grin:

My latest Base and Mobil UHF-VHF rig is an ICON 75 watt, feature laden power house:surprise:

My Home rigs are two HF-6M Transceivers, a 100 watt, ALINCO DH70 (also used as a mobile HF, going into tuned 'Ham Stick' vertical antenna's and my pride and joy, an ICON 756 PRO, Spectrum display, 100 watt, going into an AMARATRON (sp?) 800 watt amplifier, into 2 B&W tuned trap dipoles, one north-south and one east west, mounted horizontally, 60 feet in the air. I have several HT's, and base station 2M-440-220 rigs going into Vertical tuned antennas at 40 feet.:wink2:

It is a fun Hobby and also very important in National and international emergencies as all will work independent of the power grid, when everything else is down:surprise: I have been a member of a few emergency communication organizations and actively worked during Hurricanes, Tornado's, fires and earthquakes:surprise:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Sam, I have the FT-60r, slightly different than yours. It's sitting here in front of me now monitoring the local repeater.
And to answer BC's question, yes, I have been operating "motorcycle mobile" for years.
In fact, I started doing that back in the 80s when they came out with the first really small 2 meter radio, the Icom IC 27a. I had that mounted on my BMW for years.
Right now, I have a dual band Kenwood TM-D700A mounted on my Goldwing. Mic is on my helmet and Push To Talk on the left hand grip.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
My newest is also the FT60R. My Bad:surprise:

Did you ever do an 'all band' frequency scan????? It is amazing what the little FT will pick up:wink2:

I never did mount anything on my bikes but I carried HT's with J-pole antenna's and they worked great:smile:

73's my Friend:grin:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
There is an FT 50 as well. I had never heard of it, but I looked it up when I saw your mistaken mention of it.
The FT60 is a tried and true workhorse.

No, I never tried the all band scan, Sam.

I'll have to do that one day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts