Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rider from NC here. I'm learning to ride all over again.

I had a '95 ZX-600 about 9 years ago. I destroyed it after about 6 months of riding, and nearly myself, by being stupid. Unfortunately for the world I survived with only some road rash.

Lessons learned, and 9 years later, I finally have a good, steady enough job that afforded me a new bike a few days ago, a 2014 Suzuki Gladius 650. Originally wanted something used but the financing wasn't working out so I had to go new. Oh well. ;)

Anyway, glad to be back on two. Will do it safer and with proper gear this time. And hope to have fun here in the forums as well as on the road.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. So glad to hear you survived and are riding again. Have you thought about taking the BRC as a refresher course? It might help. Congrats on the new bike!

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,420 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the fancy greetings everyone. Glad to be here and back in the club.

Have you thought about taking the BRC as a refresher course? It might help.
I hadn't thought of it but will look more into it. I took one before I bought my first bike. The drills were pretty basic but one can always benefit from refreshers and from the knowledge of the instructors.

They're a lot cheaper here, $120 - $195 as opposed to the $400 I paid for the first one. And if I take the class here they give me a waiver for the road test to get the motorcycle endorsement on my license (I do have the learner's permit). Getting a multi-day class that conforms to my schedule as a retail manager might be a little difficult, but the expense and time might be worth it to avoid having to sit at the DMV again.

Either way, so far I've been watching a lot of tutorials on YouTube, doing a good bit of riding around in parking lots, worked on my leaning in higher speed curves, practiced a couple of the drills I learned in the first class, tried the quick stops, and put a little more than 400 miles on the bike with no scratches on me or my bike. Once goosed the throttle a bit much pulling out into traffic but easily recovered without too much heart skipping. My helmet got scratched when I tripped coming upstairs after a ride though. :icon_mad:

Anyhoo, I'm babbling and I'm hungry. Later.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I used to ride way back when. I started again in 2005. I hurt my back and couldn't ride except for being a passenger for almost 5 years. I decided to start again and decided to take the class to rebuild my confidence. With the back issues I'm not as agile as I used to be. It Really helped me.

Taking the class also gets a discount with many companies. I pay 10% less.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back injuries are no fun. They should be avoided. I know them all too well as I crushed my L3 vertebra in a car crash when I was 17. Fortunately teenagers heal well so it all fused back together quite nicely and I have no residual pain.

I'm coming up on a year since shattering my clavicle in a mountain bike crash too. It's not exactly motorcycle riding but when I come back from injury I like to play harder so I upgraded to a bike with a 650cc motor.

I like to think compared to the mountain biking I do, that handling a motorcycle on pavement is a cinch. But I know the skills don't really translate, understand that I do have a lot of learning to do, and don't have a cocky attitude about it, at least I don't think I do. If anyone sees me acting that way, please feel free to smack me.

Geico gave me a pretty good rate and mentioning that I took the class, even though it was several years ago, got me a 10% discount as well. I could still stand to benefit from taking the BRC again though to get in some practice with drills I might not be doing and by hearing whatever advice the instructors offer that I don't read here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts