Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 225 mile today, and included some roads that I have been to before and decided that for any of you in the northern Illinois or Wisconsin area, or even western Iowa, you might want to try to get to this area.

New Glarus, WI is a scenic little town that calls itself "Little Switzerland" and is a very popular destination for motorcyclists. If you head north out of New Glarus on Wisconsin 69, then take the left on to 92 to Mt. Horeb (another neat town with some good places to stop to eat). 92 is a scenic road with many nice sweepers through pretty countryside. Continue west on hwy 18 just a few miles and take County K north toward Barneveld, then take the left on to County HH. This is an amazing road that will make you think you are no longer in Wisconsin. The road twists and turns through heavily forested hills and valleys and is probably the best riding road I have yet discovered in this part of the country. Continue on HH until you reach H, take a right, and continue north until you reach Hwy 14. Turning right will take you to Madison, WI, another great town to visit. The highlight of the area is county HH.

I started in Rockford, IL, went through Janesville, WI and then headed west on Hwy 14 until I hit Hwy 92, mentioned above. My total ride was right about 225 miles and including a stop for gas once and a stop for a quick bite (I was by myself today) the total ride was about 4.5 hours.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Shush, that's our go to riding area for the bikes, bicycles and the car club. Don't ride there, all the roads are all clogged with cyclists and MX5 Roadsters. ;)
But if you must ride there, stop and say hi to our friends at the Grumpy Troll Pub in Mt Horeb. And always ride Grumpy my friends! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When my wife is with me we always stop for lunch at Grumpy's. Good food, fun place. But I know so many riders who visit the Mt. Horeb and New Glarus areas, but don't go that extra few miles to the great roads around Blue Mound. If yesterday was a fair example (I know it was a "work day" for you younger folks) I did not see a single other bike while on County roads K, HH and H.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
How sad it was to hear last night that a laid back State like Wisconsin (a State I lived in as a child, in the Northwest corner near Wood River) can have such a violent (guns) daily scenario of shootings (Milwaukee).

If the news (CBS) is to be believed, they make is sound as if guns are going off almost hourly, every day!!

There are some BEAUTIFUL areas of rural farm land and so forth, for riding, that is surely true!!

-Soupy

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
How sad it was to hear last night that a laid back State like Wisconsin (a State I lived in as a child, in the Northwest corner near Wood River) can have such a violent (guns) daily scenario of shootings (Milwaukee).

If the news (CBS) is to be believed, they make is sound as if guns are going off almost hourly, every day!!

There are some BEAUTIFUL areas of rural farm land and so forth, for riding, that is surely true!!

-Soupy
Agreed, but many of the problems in Milwaukee are caused by the close proximity to Chicago. Watching the news, it seems many of the perpetrators have ties to both cities. :frown:
In 16 months, 3 weeks and two days, (I'm not counting down, really) ;) I'm retiring from working in Chicago, and I hope to rarely go into any large urban area ever again.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
South central WI is nice. As is the northwest. The driftless area in the southwest is the absolute best, though.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Grumpy Troll is a great place. Fun, good food surrounded by great roads. CtH JG out of Mt Horeb is another awesome little ride. And stop at Duluth Trading store to pick up some firehouse pants, just up the street from there is a great little ice cream shop too (can't recall the name at the moment)

Maybe we should try a meet-n-greet at the Troll sometime?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Grumpy Troll is a great place. Fun, good food surrounded by great roads. CtH JG out of Mt Horeb is another awesome little ride. And stop at Duluth Trading store to pick up some firehouse pants, just up the street from there is a great little ice cream shop too (can't recall the name at the moment)

Maybe we should try a meet-n-greet at the Troll sometime?
That would be cool, but when the weather is nice they're always packed on the weekends, with lines out the door. Unless you go upstairs for pizza.
I might also recommend Brewery Creek Inn, or if they are busy, Tony's Tap in the Town of Mineral Point instead. Another cool town with tons of history. :)

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Printed this topic to a PDF for future reference... MapQuest says it is 200 miles, one way, to New Glarus. Will definitely be a long weekend trip for us. Will be riding it later this month, or next, hopefully. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Printed this topic to a PDF for future reference... MapQuest says it is 200 miles, one way, to New Glarus. Will definitely be a long weekend trip for us. Will be riding it later this month, or next, hopefully. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!
:coffee:
There are some great little ma and pa places to stay and camping available at the NG Woods State Park. But I would recommend making reservations ahead because they often fill up fast. Especially during festival weekends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts