Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at vacation this year thinking about riding around lake Michigan.

Might even include a ferry ride. Ludington MI To Manitowoc WI SS Badger People & Car Ferry

We plan to spend about a week on the road, hotels no camping. So we are not in a hurry.

I would sleep under a picnic table, but my wife is of a different mind. :wink2:

Anyone been? Place to miss or not to miss?

Encouragement?

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I did a very similar ride in 2016.

Just off the top of my head, some highlights= Tunnel of Trees (MI 119), Mackinaw bridge, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Legs Inn (Cross Village)
The SS Badger was pretty cool too; I suggest getting a stateroom to stash you gear and maybe grab a nap on the crossing.

I'll post up some more information when I get more time. (maybe even a tour report of my ride)

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I took 4 days to do Lacrosse, WI to Ludington (over the top) and brought the ferry back to Manitowoc and then home across WI. So, a week should be plenty of time for you. (depending on where in Indiana you're starting)

Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc is also cool. Tour a WW2 sub.
Welcome to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum Website | Wisconsin Maritime Website

Are you planning to ride Door County in WI (up the thumb?)

If you are into lighthouses, there are plenty of opportunities there along the way

And of course, you have to have a pasty in the UP

Really, the only negative is some pretty boring stretches of Hwy 2 across the bottom of the UP. There's really no way to get around that, but if you are heading west to east, it gets better as you go.

Are you planning on running it clockwise or counterclockwise?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys the sub looks like a must do for me.

Rollin, nice write-up. I seen that place on TV before!
I'm a little on the too sweet side myself, but it might be worth an extra shot of insulin. :wink2:

Jo6pak
We will go CCW. Up from deepest Southern Indiana. (two hours south of Indy)

Loose plan is to come up the east shore line and over the top.

Down the west coast line and catch the ferry back over, then south home.
Skip the windy city all together.

Door country is still up in the air, might not even know till after we leave and see what weather does to us.

Most likely first or second week of August.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
August is a good timeframe. Usually drier than May, June.

One thing I noticed is that Lake Michigan seem like different bodies of water depending on which side you are on. The WI side it looks like a big lake, but on the MI side it seem more like a sea shore.

Door County isn't really that great as roads or riding go; but there are tons of shops, arts, and quaint little towns.

And if ships are your thing, there is a shipyard in Marinette, WI that might be worth a look.
Fincantieri Marinette Marine
They had a few LCS sitting in the harbor when I went through.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,879 Posts
Hwy 65 from Standish , MI to Alpena is a pretty decent Stretch to get off the Beaten Path or it was 7-8 Years ago anyway .. Then take 23 North in Alpena and is pretty much shoreline all the way to Mackinac City where they have Forts and Mackinac Island if interested in doing that but would have to Park the Bike and take the Ferry to the Island No Vehicles allowed on the Island except Emergency Vehicles .. Crossing the Mackinac Bridge can be a good experience but in the center the Left Lane is all Grating and many are not comfortable with that on 4 wheels much less 2 especially if the Wind is up ..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, I'm one of those guys that had grating. Even on the small crossings I have been on.

The bridge must be pretty "memorable" everyone that goes that way makes mention of it!

That ship yard looks interesting. They are closing Jeff Boat in Louisville. Its our version in these parts.

I was in Germany 100 years ago, and saw a sub in a museum. I didn't have much time to look at it, but I do remember being struck by how small it was. I don't even recall what era it was. I would assume it was German, but I'm not even sure of that...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,816 Posts
I had the (mis)fortune to go out on a diesel sub for a day or two. You think it is small on the surface, then imagine what it was like underwater. Not a place for someone afraid of tight spaces.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I'm 6'2. A sub is no place for me!! Just the 30 minute tour of the Cobia was quite enough stooping and tight spaces.
@seagullplayer- I looked through my tour log and photos and was reminded of a few more points of interest if you are so inclined

Cut River Bridge- along Hwy 2 east of Bevort, MI.

Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive- through the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

If you are near Harbor Springs around mid-day, stop at Gurney's Harbor Bottle Shop for one of the best sandwiches around.
And in Leland, MI, there is Trish's Dishes for great food.

Also, since you are going north across Big Mac, I don't think there is a toll fee

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
Seagull, just wondering if you got this ride done. Maybe I just missed your posts about it?

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
If our Great River Roadtrip falls though, I'll be doing a 6-7 day Lake Superior loop in mid July

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We did not take our riding vacation last year. I mean we got out a time or two, but no big run.
Got too late in the year before I could get away from work.

We hope to this year, its our 30th wedding anniversary. My wife has yet to see the ocean, so we most likely will head south or east.

I really want to see that sub.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
Not sure how much of the west side you're riding down, but if you want a riding friend I can ride up from Chicago and join in on the fun. :)

Reactions: seagullplayer

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
@seagullplayer
I have yet to see the ocean also. The GRR run will get us to the Gulf of Mexico...that might have to be close enough for a few years

You should have time for the sub...I don't think it's going anywhere:grin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@seagullplayer
I have yet to see the ocean also. The GRR run will get us to the Gulf of Mexico...that might have to be close enough for a few years

You should have time for the sub...I don't think it's going anywhere:grin:
GRR run?

Is that the great river road?

·
12,816 Posts
The gulf is a better view. The Atlantic is not that great a sight from shore.

·
12,816 Posts
I have been in 5 of the seven seas, or 3 of the 5 oceans. I have been in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. The 7 seas add north and south Pacific and north and south Atlantic. I have been in all four of those. I have been within 500 KM of the Arctic Ocean and 10,000 miles from the Antarctic Ocean. Of all the seas the South Pacific is the clearest water. It is beautiful blue and you can see through it over 50'. The gulf is close and you can see at least 30' if you are away from the coast as the waves carry a lot of sand. The Atlantic is gray green and visibility about 10-15'

If you have never seen one they are impressive and powerful. If you go in be sure to check and see if there are any undercurrents running in the area. They are dangerous and can drag you out to sea in no time at all. Where ever you go enjoy.

Reactions: Jo6pak

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
GRR run?

Is that the great river road?
Yep. It's one of my dream rides to do the full length of the Great River Road from Lake Itasca to the Gulf of Mexico.
If things progress as planned, a buddy and I will be doing 16 days in mid-late July.

In fact, if anyone has info about sites, ferries, foods, etc along the Ole. Miss. feel free to post them up in this thread as we are stitching together the plan.

https://www.motorcycleforum.com/33-touring-forum/189618-great-river-road-info.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts