Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Late in 2017 during our deer season, I witnessed the mating of two barred owls. Talk about a show! Owls are amazing creatures.
I'm waiting to see bald eagles do their mid-air plummeting while mating...have yet to witness it except on TV. We've got a pair of mated barn owls now, and mom's been sitting in her nesting box for a long while. Hoping for owlets soon.

·
American Legion Rider
18,956 Posts
We are so lucky to have hawks, owls and eagles here as well. They are all amazing birds. So lucky that we can observe them daily. We even have burrowing owls. Talk about hard to see. I have yet been able to spot one. I hear them and think I know the general direction where they are but I've yet to put my eyes, let alone my camera lens on one. They are obviously mating and raise their young here. I doubt we would still be hearing them after 20 or so years here if they were not. But nope, have not spotted the little buggers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great pic! I think of owls as the snipers of the bird world. You (or, well, their prey) never see or hear 'em until it's too late!

I "almost" got a good pic of a bald eagle the other day. I was leaving from the shooting range and saw him dive toward the fishing pond about 50 yards away from me. He pulled up and perched on a large branch of a nearby tree. I got excited because they are quite rare in this area. By the time I stopped the bike and fumbled my phone out, he had taken off...

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
I'm waiting to see bald eagles do their mid-air plummeting while mating...have yet to witness it except on TV. We've got a pair of mated barn owls now, and mom's been sitting in her nesting box for a long while. Hoping for owlets soon.
I've seen it a few times at a distance.
But last spring, while on a hike with my girlfriend, we saw a pair lock talons and drop 100' and disengaging only about 10' from the surface of a small pond. They were less than 40 yards away from us and we watched them chase and flirt for about 10 minutes. It's one of the coolest things, I've seen in person.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Some times I get up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning, or thereabouts, and I'll walk out on the back deck. Some times I can hear an owl in the woods near by but I haven't seen him yet. At other times I can hear our neighbors crazy rooster crowing while it's still dark out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts