Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first ride after a 14 year break, just a 75 mile round trip up to my friends house in Arlington. Started out foggy and cold but I was dressed for it and it only lasted across the river valley about three miles worth but I wasn't happy about it as I'm still a bit rusty and the visibility was down to about 100 feet, after that it cleared up and was a beautiful day to ride. on my way home I got into heavy traffic on a 4 lane road and had to stop for a light and when I started to go my bike quit and I'm trapped in the left hand lane with cars passing me on the right. Finally another biker blocked the lane so I could get off the street. I was just out of gas but I wasn't familiar enough with the bike to go to reserve without taking a look, what a lousy spot to run outa gas. Anyway I got over to the shoulder and turned the lever and woo pee it started. I got gas in Snohomish and rode by Harvey airfield, a very popular place for sky divers and balloons. It was sundown with a red sky back lighting 4 balloons that were landing, they were 40 feet off the ground right over the road I was riding and I went under them, they were waving at me and all excited about their balloon ride, very cool! From there I ride home on the back roads of my teenage years,
A fun welcome back to riding.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day Muggs. Glad the other biker came along to help you out. That had to be a scary experience. My bike doesn't have a gas gauge so I write the mileage down on my gas receipt and then put that in my glove when I get home. Makes me remember to look at it to see if I need to go straight to the gas station on my next ride. That might also help you.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sounds like you had fun, Muggs! Welcome back to riding. I practice going to reserve when Indont need to, to be ready for when I do need to. Comes in handy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Returning to riding after a prolonged absence can be very, very special. About 15 years ago I had a "minor" accident and broke a few ribs. But one of the ribs that punctured my lung brought along with it a staph infection which quickly almost killed me. After major surgery and 31 days in Intensive Care and another week in the hospital I left for home with three major drainage tubes sticking out of my chest and minus half of one lung. For over two years I could not even think about riding, and then I succumbed temporarily to the pressure of my wife and grown children and did not buy another bike. But after a total of almost 6 years I decided to buy a new bike and return to something that I had had a life long passion for. That first ride after the 6 years was more adrenaline pumping and exciting that any ride I can ever recall. It was a mixture of "this is the best thing that ever happened to me" to "what am I doing?, this is crazy!" That was about 9 years ago and I have never looked back.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Ran out of gas???? Who would ever make such a rookie mistake. ;) ;)

Sounds like it all turned out good, welcome back.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Don't always trust that light Hawk. Mine comes on with about 40 miles left but a couple times the sun was shining on it just right and I didn't see it. Now I just play it safe and know how many miles I have on each tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really feel like a rookey at this point, That was the only short stretch of 4 lane rode on my ride. I'm trying to stay on back roads for a while to get my confidence back, and relearn the bike

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I really feel like a rookey at this point, That was the only short stretch of 4 lane rode on my ride. I'm trying to stay on back roads for a while to get my confidence back, and relearn the bike
Just keep on going and don't get too far ahead of yourself, you'll be okay. Even though that ride didn't go as planned, you still went riding and made it home in one piece, so it was a success :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Don't always trust that light Hawk. Mine comes on with about 40 miles left but a couple times the sun was shining on it just right and I didn't see it. Now I just play it safe and know how many miles I have on each tank.
Yeah, l hear ya...in general l try to fill up on or around the hundred...it will go about 120 miles before the light comes on. The other day it was at 5780 and l thought, "Hmmmmm...wonder when l last gassed up?" The gas station was cheap so l topped her off :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds are really great. I think it's necessary to riding a motorcycle on today's highways, you have to ride in a very defensive manner. You have to be a good rider and you have to have both hands and both feet on the controls at all times.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like a great day in all Muggs. I'm down in Olympia and Saturday I took my GF out for her first longer ride since she got her endorsement. She road my Shadow and I rode my CTX. It was a great day as well! It was cold but dry, I can handle that.

We are hoping to go out again Saturday, but I don't know how she'll feel about going out in lower 40 temps. :)

When I first got the Shadow, I would practice reaching down and flipping on the reserve. Came in handy the first time I really hit empty on the main tank in traffic. The CTX doesn't have a reserve tank, but I do have a digital gauge as well as dual trip odometers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had my bike out yesterday and plan to do so all winter but only nice days. I ordered new sun glasses today with helmet and in mind when I picked out the frames, maybe next time I ride into the sun I will know where I'm going.
Yesterday wasn't a confidence builder with the cold air fogging up my windshield, I got to figure out a way to stop that. but I'm gaining confidence.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A windshield is to protect you from the wind. You look over it, not through it.
Depends on the windshield, I have a big one, if you are 8 feet tall maybe you can look over it. Its the first time I rode in near freezing temps and I probably never will again. Its a good clean clear windshield, I like its size and it works very well for me especially if you get caught in the rain.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I think the ideal windshield height, assuming it is diverting enough of the wind to make riding comfortable, is where you can just see over it (so that even if there are bugs or mud splattered on it, you still can see safely ahead of you) but where if you slouch down just a tad you can be shielded from the rain/snow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts