Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've recently purchased a well kept 97 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ltd. While I'm not new to riding, this will be my second road bike and first cruiser. I'd just like to grab a few opinions on helmet styling if I may!

I've never really seen many people locally riding cruisers with full face helmets, let alone any with graphics. When people are wearing anything more than a half-dome, they are usually just one plain color. In any case, I'm all about the full-face helmets, regardless of bike style (dirt and dualies exempted.)

My bike is black and chrome, and the helmets that I've been thinking about are the Scorpion EXO 400 Skull Bucket (black), or the Urban Destroyer (also black).

What's your take on the cruiser/graphic helmet combo?

(Sorry, can't upload links or pics yet.)

·
Registered
437 Posts
A solid helmet (especially if white or black) will fit with anything. That being said, I have a solid white helmet and wish I had gotten a white based graphic instead.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a solid yellow modular helmet.
My ride is a Sportster.
I dont care if I look funny. What I want is to be visible. Loud pipes saves lives but brigth colors saves more!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Wear what you wish. Dont worry about what others think. If you like graphics, get one with graphics

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Matte black FFH for me.
I also have a bright green geometric design skin that fits over my helmet that I use in the winter when the days are not as long (also cover the vents for warmth).

Like others have said -- cannot go wrong with black or white.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on, thanks for all the replies! Good to hear that a majority of the response is "wear what you feel."

Now, if only it would warm up a bit...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
This is a style thing.
The cruiser riders have a totally different style with the gear we wear and the clothes we wear.

First off - you can always do your own thing. That's why we ride motorcycles - for the FREEDOM!

I ride a big cruiser. I nearly always wear a full-face helmet. I have worn a shorty lid at times ... and yes there are tons of cruiser dudes who wear shorties and half-helmets. But let me share something with you. The asphalt is NOT going to care how cool you look - if you plant your head down there. You will have the opportunity to grind off part of your face if you are wearing a half-helmet. And there are plenty of guys who have done exactly that. I usually carry my shorty helmet as a backup - esp. on long rides. And every now and then I wear it - but only on remote roads with no traffic, and nice sunny days. Ideal conditions, with low risk of accidents. I never wear anything less than a full-face helmet when riding in the city.

Cruiser styles are dictated by what the cruiser community thinks is "cool". There are strong themes tied to the "outlaw" image, and the independent rebel rider. That's why the fashion looks the way it does. But like I said ... never forget that the asphalt doesn't give a da** about how you look.

I usually buy solid colors for helmets, and then do my own designs on them with vinyl.

Good luck!
distantThunder

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did not choose a metallic wine helmet to match my bike, and resisted the strong tendency to do that. Instead, I chose a white, full-face RF-1100 helmet. I believe in freedom too, but after riding over 50 years now, I believe motorcycle safety trumps style every time. Any time you add additional reflectors, pulsing brake and head lights you are easier to spot on the road. Even though I wear a good black leather jacket during the daylight hours, I do not wear it at night. It is extremely difficult to see a totally blacked out bike, with a rider wearing a dark helmet and the obligatory black leather jacket. I bought a hi-vis Sonora jacket and can be seen a good 1/2 mile down the road by motorists in cages, before they can actually see me, or my bike. This is just my opinion. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one. :) That said, this is a wonderful country, and we have the element of choice, and that is an essential element of freedom.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought the helmet last Saturday at the IMOT show in Munich. My old Nolan was six years old so, even though I never dropped it, wanted a new one for safety's sake. I was hoping to get a bright dayglo orange or yellow one but the only ones I could find were white, so got that one (five minutes later I saw an orange one at another booth).

I had read about the Schuberths being really quiet, so that's what I got. After wearing it while riding yesterday, I don't believe it's any quieter than the Nolan, but fit and finish are better. I'm not sure it's a couple of hundred euros better, but it's a very comfortable helmet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts