Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cooler temps in the mornings around here (New England) are prompting the "shift" to warmer riding gear now.

The liners are back in my full-finger gloves (fingerless "ok" for the afternoon ride) and I'm changing jackets now.

I'm excited for the change of seasons and all the color and such!!

I won't put on the long underwear until the temps get down to 40ºF, or the zippered ear protectors on the half shell yet.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
As fall comes on, my acceptable temp for riding starts at about 60. I put the lining into my jacket, get out the heavy leather gloves, and put thermal long johns under my jeans. I also change from a 3/4 helmet to a full face helmet. As I get more desperate to ride as the weather gets colder, my tolerance lets me drop to 50, then to 40 degrees. Then its time to put the bike away.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I'm still riding in my mesh jacket too...already put both liners in...:coffeescreen:

Oh, I'm also wearing my 3/4 helmet, chaps, winter socks and kevlar gloves.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It has been down around 32F here recently and I am just starting back into biking but want to get the new-to-me Honda Shadow out a few time to brush up on my rusty skills while the weather is nicer. Since the riding season is almost over and finances are lean, I think I am going to try my snowmobile coveralls and a parka for this fall :wink: Spring is the time to invest in mesh and other fair-weather riding gear.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They say it will be 45 degrees in the morning. That's 35 degrees on the bike! I put my ear Warner's on my helmet, and will have the long underwear on!!!

-soupy

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Yeah, time for the liners to go back in the jackets, start keeping warm gloves in the saddlebags just in case...Not ready to get out the full face though. Of course a little rain at lower temps changes everything.

DianneB- I've used my snowmobile gear to ride in cold temps, just a heads up, it's hard to shift with snow boots. They don't easily fit under the shifter to shift up;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, the ideal riding temperatures are coming to an end.

It's been around 25 deg C (80 deg F) here in the southern tropics over winter ,but I noticed in the weekend that the temperature was a little higher and there's a trace of humidity in the air. I've been riding over winter with a long sleeve shirt under my mesh jacket, but wore a short sleeve tee-shirt under my jacket yesterday.

In 3 months or so it'll be summer and the "wet", and the bike will stay mostly in the garage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hate going to full face for the cold weather as I have a fogging problem. New helmet last year, but never figured out how to keep the fogging down without slightly opening the visor.

Need to get the leathers jacket out and start carrying two sets of gloves.

Forty degree F, is my cutoff but in Ohio normally you can ride a few times each month.

·
Registered
201 Posts
26 degrees here in northern vermont this morning. Highs are having trouble getting into the 50s. May be done early up here this year.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Today was perfect!!!!!!
It was about 51 degrees when I rode to work this morning.
The high was 71 degrees.
Beautiful blue skies and low humidity.
I only had a brief meeting in the morning, then got to ride for several office errands and lunch.
Then I snuck out early to watch my son's football practice -- Sat in the shady area of the stands.
Rode home with a cool breeze.
A WONDERFUL time of year!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Find a motel in Daytona and I'm sure Eye would find time to ride with you. But until then, he will keep on rubbing it in!!! :D :D

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Yep, gotta start carrying extra gear on the bike in case I find myself coming home after ....cold.

And I notice rides all start around 9 now instead of 8.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have actually taken the first step in my transition. I put aside my mesh jacket and broke out the winter jacket, sans liner. It has only gotten down to about 45F so I don't need the liner yet and I can use my winter jacket up to about 80F if I open the vents on it. The air deflectors on my fairing are enough to take care of my hands at 45 so no messing with heavy gloves yet.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
50 degrees and raining this morning. And I'm itching to ride. Waiting for the shower to pass, and then I'm bundling up and off....was out for a while last night, and the only thing that got cold where my fingers. Time for a warmer pair of gloves. Don't like to shiver on a bike, if I shiver, the bike shivers....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Zippy,it will always be your fingers that limit cold weather riding. I finally gave up trying to find gloves that would take me below about 35 degrees and got a bike with a truly effective fairing. It protects my hands so well I can ride at 15F using nothing more than a set of jersey gloves.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts