Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my next purchase for the bike is going to be something that lets me listen to turn by turn directions from my phone when I'm out. I'm starting to really do longer rides and don't want to have to worry about getting terribly lost.

Right now I'm having to pull over and check my phone's map. Not a terrible thing, but a bit annoying.

So I'm thinking about getting some speakers for my helmet and a mount for my phone. Does anyone have any recommended things for either of those things?

Note that I've got a Buell Blast and I don't want to permanently mount anything to the bike.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
would suggest that you think hard about this ...

it would be very hard to maintain 100% focus on the road ... with this kind of stuff being piped into your helmet.

I have just been reading a book about WHY people believe they SEE and KNOW more about the world around them - than they actually do. Basically, our intuition is lying to us - it is wrong. We see far less than we think we do. It gets a lot worse when we have extra inputs from phones and GPS devices.

Its just a suggestion.
take it FWIW.

cheers,
dT

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Which phone do you have? If it's a smartphone then just launch Google navigation and set it to navigate you to your destination..

Plug in a set of earphones, then turn the phone/screen OFF & stick it in your pocket. Now as you drive, the phone will talk turns to you through the earphones, trust me you're gonna love it, soooo simple!

Do NOT mount your fragile smartphone onto your bike where dust/vibration/moisture will screw it up. You don't need to see the screen, and the voice prompted turns are very subtle. Very safe :)

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Smart phone + Cycle = no more phone

Not true, I have been doing it for years...... My I-phone (ram mounted with X-grip on my handlebars) sends the navigation info via Bluetooth to my Sena SMH10 mounted on my helmet. It's great to be able to communicate with my passenger, make/take phone calls, listen to music and get GPS directions all in my helmet. The best $260.00 (including mount) I ever spent on a accessory.

I highly recommend the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth units and Ram mount X-grip for your phone.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Not true, I have been doing it for years...... My I-phone (ram mounted with X-grip on my handlebars) sends the navigation info via Bluetooth to my Sena SMH10 mounted on my helmet. It's great to be able to communicate with my passenger, make/take phone calls, listen to music and get GPS directions all in my helmet. The best $260.00 (including mount) I ever spent on a accessory.

I highly recommend the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth units and Ram mount X-grip for your phone.
EXACTLY!:71baldboy:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's what I'm thinking about. I've got a Moto X right now, so I use Google Maps for all the navigation in my car. Works like a champ and it doesn't really distract me at all. In fact, it lets me focus on what's going on around me more because I'm not distracted by trying to remember where I am and where I need to turn next.

I don't make or take phone calls while driving, that's just been a pretty standard thing I've done ever since getting a smart phone. I don't feel like I can give the conversation the attention it deserves.

The jacket I wear is a fairly tight fitting Alpine Star jacket with a phone pocket on the inside. I might see about wiring in something though. That might work out alright until I can afford the full Sena system.

By the way, do you just keep your phone in a waterproof case to protect it from weather?

Also, guys, don't think I'm dismissing your advice about keeping distraction free while riding. One of the things I like about riding is just how focused I can be while riding, so I'm being really careful to only get stuff that will help keep that.

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
That's what I'm thinking about. I've got a Moto X right now, so I use Google Maps for all the navigation in my car. Works like a champ and it doesn't really distract me at all. In fact, it lets me focus on what's going on around me more because I'm not distracted by trying to remember where I am and where I need to turn next.

I don't make or take phone calls while driving, that's just been a pretty standard thing I've done ever since getting a smart phone. I don't feel like I can give the conversation the attention it deserves.

The jacket I wear is a fairly tight fitting Alpine Star jacket with a phone pocket on the inside. I might see about wiring in something though. That might work out alright until I can afford the full Sena system.

By the way, do you just keep your phone in a waterproof case to protect it from weather?

Also, guys, don't think I'm dismissing your advice about keeping distraction free while riding. One of the things I like about riding is just how focused I can be while riding, so I'm being really careful to only get stuff that will help keep that.
Two ways of doing it..... Buy a waterproof case (I use Lifeproof) or use a simple sandwich bag when the weather might get iffy to cover it and a rubber band to keep it on if it's mounted on the bars. Both work great, so let your pocketbook determine which to use.
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts

I keep my phone in a ziplock freezer bag. Yeah I know, real high tech, but hey, it works. I keep my wallet in one too when I'm riding. I use mine now with my Scarpa. Yes, I can take calls, but I won't unless it's my girlfriend or daughter and then I'll pull over at the first opportunity. For longer trips I put the phone in the map pocket of my tank bag so I can see the map if I need to check it. You will likely want to get a way to charge it on your bike if you're going to take longer trips, the GPS tends to really kill a battery.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
I'd much rather have turn by turn directions piped into my helmet than to have to take my eyes off the road to look at my phone's screen for directions.

I'm planning on getting some Sena SMH5D-01 Bluetooth intercom system for my wife and I. The option for turn by turn directions will be nice.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my suggestion ... is to look at your GPS when you stop for gas. get the next set of directions then ... and memorize them. THAT way NOTHING is being piped into your ears or your eyes - while you are riding.

I can understand rider-to-rider communications. when the road is open and theres not much traffic - it might be nice to talk or listen to music. But you can switch that stuff off, or tell someone to be quiet when things get busy.

the problem is psychological ... and maybe I will take time to explain it on the Safety forum. Let's just say that we all THINK our attention is not being affected by this technology ... but that is an illusion. It's a lie. Our intution is fooling us. Our brain and eyes are seeing LESS information in the real world ... any time we are focusing on some task ... besides just seeing.

it's totally up to you to evaluate the risks involved.
you may feel they are acceptable - and you may be 100% right.
but how would you REALLY know?

dT

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
my suggestion ... is to look at your GPS when you stop for gas. get the next set of directions then ... and memorize them. THAT way NOTHING is being piped into your ears or your eyes - while you are riding.

I can understand rider-to-rider communications. when the road is open and theres not much traffic - it might be nice to talk or listen to music. But you can switch that stuff off, or tell someone to be quiet when things get busy.

the problem is psychological ... and maybe I will take time to explain it on the Safety forum. Let's just say that we all THINK our attention is not being affected by this technology ... but that is an illusion. It's a lie. Our intution is fooling us. Our brain and eyes are seeing LESS information in the real world ... any time we are focusing on some task ... besides just seeing.

it's totally up to you to evaluate the risks involved.
you may feel they are acceptable - and you may be 100% right.
but how would you REALLY know?

dT

I respectfully disagree.......... You cant sit there and tell me your brain/eyes will use more activity/waves by someone softly speaking in your ear when to turn (while focusing on the road), than constantly looking for street signs and intersections trying to guess your next turn and when.

Remember........ the GPS is silent until your near your next turning location, when you should be alert for a turn.

IMO....... It's much more dangerous (more of a distraction) too not have the GPS in your ear, than not know for sure which RD you need to be turning on. Ultimately by not knowing, you are taking your eyes off the road you're currently on looking for signs.

Nice try though............ :biggrin:

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
I respectfully disagree.......... You cant sit there and tell me your brain/eyes will use more activity/waves by someone softly speaking in your ear when to turn (while focusing on the road), than constantly looking for street signs and intersections trying to guess your next turn and when.

Remember........ the GPS is silent until your near your next turning location, when you should be alert for a turn.

IMO....... It's much more dangerous (more of a distraction) too not have the GPS in your ear, than not know for sure which RD you need to be turning on. Ultimately by not knowing, you are taking your eyes off the road you're currently on looking for signs.

Nice try though............ :biggrin:

I'm not sure who you are, but you are one smart SOB............. Just sayin..... LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Nice try hi-5'ing yourself arnt :D

But I agree with you too, IMO it is much safer driving to have a brief voice message give a quick clear indicator where/when to turn, instead of frantically scanning all the signposts for your next turn.

& I mean in a scenario when you're driving in a totally unfamiliar area, full of traffic which would just increase the stress levels.

But then at the same time I also see dt's point of view.. so you both win :p

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
HMMMMMM ... Im honestly not sure.

You have a point that the GPS is "mostly silent". although I have to say - the GPS we have in our car is anything but silent. It says all sorts of idiotic stuff ... especially when it tells you to keep going on the same freeway (instead of taking a turnoff freeway). In addition, the GPS can be absolutely mindless about NOT giving you an early warning when you need to switch lanes in dense traffic.

I guess I would say that if someone specifically designs a GPS system for motorcycle riders - with the needs of MC riders taken into consideration - then it might be fine. But I would find some of the GPS stuff distracting if I was riding, I think. In my car, I tend to insult the GPS verbally - quite a bit. These systems say quite a lot of stupid stuff :)

How did MC riders do it in the old days? They stopped at a gas station, or they pulled over on the side of a road, they took out a map, and memorized some key moves. I honestly DONT think its that hard to do the old system.

There are times in heavy traffic, especially when entering big cities, when I most certainly would want that GPS to "shut up". My constructive suggestino is that you rig your GPS system with some sort of kill switch ... just in case you need to get it to pipe down when you want to concentrate.

Just a thought :)

dT

·
American Legion Rider
20,098 Posts
Either I'm exceptional or it's just not that difficult. I have tunes and GPS directions all the time in traffic. I hardly hear the tunes and can take turn by turn instructions with ease. I have no trouble hearing a siren and have seldom taken a wrong turn. I don't think I'm exceptional for a hint. It's just not what you that don't do it think it is. Now maybe if you insist on heavy metal as tunes and songs that are yelled rather than sang, you might find it distracting. The input and quality might be a consideration. But directional input is about like a co pilot in a car reading a map and you navigating traffic. It's all good.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I think people will see it differently.

I have considered putting tunes in my helmet (one ear only, CA regulations) for the long rides on the open roads. The open roads can get boring - and boredom is also a negative factor. So this is something that I might dohe future.

Overall ... this conversation has convinced me not to install GPS and other stuff into my helmet. I'm gonna stick with the old tried-and-true system. Go to Yahoo maps, look at the place where I;m going and memorize the major streets, print out the list of Directions, fold that piece of paper and keep it in the pocket of my leather coat. That way - for me personally - I am sure I have 100% attention on the street and the traffic when I need it.

I knew a guy who rode a big chopper. He had piped all the electronics into his helmet, long before most riders. He had tunes, GPS, and also phone calls going live into his helmet and a microphone for talking as well. Personally, I think those folks are on a date with Motorcycle Heaven. It would be interesting to see if anyone has checked the statistics for MC accidents, to see if there is any correlation between victims and those with onboard electronics.

dT

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I carry at least a dozen "Freezer" ziplock baggies, quart and gallon size, in our saddlebag. Great for all kinds of things.

I really like our GPS--most of the time. It tells us about 1 mile ahead which road and which direction to turn. It also has a feature that warns us of road construction, accidents and traffic jams in big cities and gives us an alternate route. There are times though, due to road construction or things like that, when we can't depend on it. That is part of the reason that I carry an Atlas.

When we are entering a new state we will stop at the 1st Welcome Center and pick up a state map or 2 if we plan on spending some time in that state. Riding as a passenger on our trips I keep the map folded to the area we are in and can "help" the GPS. I also can look for interesting things and sometimes we change our route just because.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts