Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I work in an IT company. In our company we develop tracking and diagnostic devices.
We are going to make a gps tracker for motorcycles. I want your advice to make it better if it is interesting for you to participate in the process of creating a new device.

Main features of the tracker:
- real-time GPS tracking;
- highly-sensetive accelerometer which will notify you of every move of your motorcycle;
- internal battery which charges only when you move, so it won't drain your motorcycle battery;
- route sharing;
- smartphone application;

If the tracker loses a gps/gsm signal you get a notification.
Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
I will be thankful for any ideas. Feel free to say what you think.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I am a Nigerian Prince and am very interested in funding this project, but at this time my funds are being held up. If you could help me by sending me your account numbers, I will repay you and give you a percentage bonus...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
Doc - in the middle of the fields one corner is the same as the next. Are the roads there like in Indiana, 1 mile square grids?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I don't have a GPS on either of my bikes, my idea of GPS is more of a navigation aid not a tracking device. It sounds like you are trying to develop a Lojack device, something that locates your bike in case of theft. I usually know where my bike is and where it's been, but tracking it in case of theft would be a good idea.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Doc - in the middle of the fields one corner is the same as the next. Are the roads there like in Indiana, 1 mile square grids?
Critter, in my area of the state we have the 1 mile square grids for roads but there are areas (like the Sandhills) which do not. Just depends on where you are. :icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,699 Posts
I've actually wanted something that could truly track where I've been so I can share these routes with others. Or just look at later to figure out where I was. When you just take the next right or left turn without regard of where you are or where you are going, it can get very interesting.

Sometimes I'd like to know just how the heck I got where I got. I've been on roads that aren't even on a map. Some of those are great rides if you don't mind a dusty bike in the end. But I'm getting where I can't remember all those turns when I want to do it again on one I liked. So having a way to track, record and edit for repeating would be great.

But I guarantee I won't be buying yet another device. My phone is as far as I'll go. So if an app can't do it then it won't happen with me. And I've tried just about all the apps that even hint at doing this. They all suck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In agreement here. There may be those who are interested in your product but it's not for me. Heck, I disable GPS in my cell phone. I don't want to be tracked nor do I need a device to tell me my location.
Thank you for your reply.
And what if I say that all information about users keeps in our data base in binary code and no one can know if it is your vehicle or not. Only the tracker owner can view the information from the tracker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have a GPS on either of my bikes, my idea of GPS is more of a navigation aid not a tracking device. It sounds like you are trying to develop a Lojack device, something that locates your bike in case of theft. I usually know where my bike is and where it's been, but tracking it in case of theft would be a good idea.
Do you think Lojack is perfect? What featueres would you change or add to Lojack?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How about you say what company you work for so your claims of security can be verified by an examination of its past history?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Sam, you might be surprised to find that many motorcyclists aren't always interested in the latest technology. ;) Maybe the sport or touring guys.
As a cyclist, have you posted on any cycling (bicycle) forums? Due to the fitness aspect, keeping track of their mileage, speed, climbing hills, etc, they might be interested.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have the LiveViewGPS G5 PRO device on my bike. It sends out a location "ping" every ten seconds when I am moving, and once per hour when I am parked.

The idea of a ping ONLY when the bike is moving will not assist you in finding the bike when it is stolen. I know it drains the battery (I get one month of non-operation before the bike will not crank), but if the bike is stolen, it is nice to track it ... with a few good and loyal, and heavily armed friends, so you can go reclaim it in the dark of the night. I handle the battery drain by plugging the bike into a trickle charger when parked. I carry the charger with me, for travel.

Ride history is important. Being able to know where you have been, by looking at a track of your day's ride is nice. For vacations, you can post a map so others can follow the same route, and it helps a guy like me with a BAD memory, remember how I got from point A to point B using only back roads.

Album

One thing I would like to see is an "Intercept" feature. A smart phone app that all members of a group or club could have on their phones. Rather than using your smart phone to broadcast your location (which drains your phone battery), you simply use the GPS APP to turn on "Intercept Mode". Now, as you and a part of your group are riding, any other group member with the app and a pass code can instantly see where you are via a LIVE feed and catch up to you or intercept you at some point. This works great for people who don't want to ride to a ride's starting point, or who got a late start and want to catch up to the group.

This would also work when you are having lunch somewhere unknown, and you get a call from a friend. "We're having lunch. Come and join us!" Rather than lengthy directions over the phone, the caller could simply locate you with the APP and let his phone or GPS take him to the location.

GPS tracking is so handy for other reasons. If you are riding alone and you are in an accident, your friend/family member can see where your bike was towed to, to bail it out of impound. It is important to have that trusted person's name ON the registration and give a copy of the reg. to that person, or give them a notarized letter IN ADVANCE which authorizes them to take possession of a bike from an impound yard. Tow yards will not release a bike to someone who says, "I am his friend..."

With a ride history, location, speed, stops, etc., all recorded, you can beat speeding tickets by showing GPS records of your travel down a road. A cop that tickets you for doing 80 will lose when you present documented proof that you were only traveling at the speed limit. Hey! It MIGHT be true! :coffeescreen:

Route INFERENCE would be a good feature. A ping at one end of a mountain road, with another ping at the far end will result in a straight line on the HISTORY map, showing the location of the two pings and the straight path between them. It would be better to have the APP "infer" the route, as Google Maps does, and show the MOST LIKELY route between those two points, perhaps in a different color to indicate that it is inferred but not tracked.

Although I did not connect these features, my G5 PRO also can kill the engine (only when the vehicle is NOT moving), honk the horn, and unlock the doors (or trunk, when you locked your keys inside). A FLASH LIGHTS feature would be nice too.

And since the bike would already have a transmitter on it for the GPS unit, the device should send a "tamper/theft/tow" alert to a phone if the bike is moved, falls over, or is towed or stolen. Think of the old remotes of the 80's that would beep on your key chain if your alarm went off. The limitation then was distance, and they were useless if you were in a mall. but with a GPS "ping" sending a text to a smart phone, you could be anywhere and know that your bike was being moved ... :biggrin:

I disable the public access to my tracking page when I am near or AT home. I don't want some psycho to show up at my door shouting, "You were WRONG on the Internet!!!"

Track Joe

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I am kind of a tech idiot, so this may be a dumb question. Why would you spend the money building a "device" to do what could be done as simple apps? And aren't all of the features of the device already available as either devices or apps?
I wouldn't be interested in buying one as I already have a GPS device, a speedometer, and insurance.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What's the purpose of your gps tracker? Is it for a company to track employees (i.e. dispatch tracking police motorcycles) or for personal use?

GPS features are not one in the same way for company vs private use.

And why would your company store the data?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
A GPS tracker would be a great idea for my bike. I always want to know why it has more miles on it than I thought. It must be going out at night while I'm sleeping or at work. Time to get to the bottom of this once and for all!

Not interested, I am not a prisoner to technology to that point yet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello

We are going to make a gps tracker for motorcycles. I want your advice to make it better if it is interesting for you to participate in the process of creating a new device.

Main features of the tracker:
- real-time GPS tracking;
Live GPS tracking is good. A ping every 10 to 20 seconds works well. When the bike is parked, a pin once every hour or so is fine. More important that the tracking, is the ability of the casual observer to VIEW the current position of the device without needing to create an account or log into a site.

Perhaps a website (www.track-my-bike.com) could be opened on a smart phone, an iPad, a laptop or a PC, via a browser.

The prompt appears:

Enter Device Name: > "Bubba Johnson 123"

A map now appears with Bubba's current location.

Options:

1. Screen Capture
2. Follow LIVE
3. Send coordinates via TEXT every (10-300) seconds
4. Intercept (opens smart phone GPS APP and tracks LIVE)

Bubba can use his APP or a PC to turn the tracking feature ON or OFF as he chooses.

- highly-sensitive accelerometer which will notify you of every move of your motorcycle;
I am not sure that is necessary. Unless someone is regularly riding "The Dragon" or some challenging road, and he is trying to improve on his time or performance around the curves, the DATA would be of little importance.

Perhaps you are thinking of DATA for an accident investigation? I don't know what this feature would add to the cost, but if this DATA could be sent to a website that would create an animated depiction of the bike's movements, that may be something of great value.

- internal battery which charges only when you move, so it won't drain your motorcycle battery;
Anyone who uses your device would probably just plug in a battery tender to compensate for battery drain. However, a LARGER batter that will send out pings for 30 days without a recharge would be a good thing! My G5PRO will only ping for 10 days on its own battery while parked. Of course, if the bike is stolen, I should be able to recover it before 10 days have passed.

- route sharing;
I cannot speak for the others ... but LiveViewGPS does not do this. I did get them to create a "single feature" LIVE public access to my page. They basically set up a link to click on that would show my current position ONLY, without needing to log in, and the viewer could watch as I moved along a road only by manually refreshing the page. Friends cannot look at my ride history, stops, or any of the other features *I* can access when I log in. They do not have access to the engine kill, horn honk, door lock and other features.

LiveViewGPS is mainly set up for couriers, trucks, cabs, trains, cargo containers, etc. You have to log into an account to view ANY DATA on a GPS unit. They did not build any 'curious observer' features into their website. They are not set up to let just anyone click on a link and view a unit's route history, speed, stops, etc., or even their current location. They made an exception in my case, mostly as a BETA test, but I believe I am the ONLY LiveViewGPS customer who has that feature activated with them. I may be wrong.

- smartphone application;

If the tracker loses a gps/gsm signal you get a notification.
This would require a long delay, or you would get a notification every few seconds! When someone is riding through the Rocky Mountains, or through San Francisco or Chicago or New York, the pings are more often lost among the tall obstructions and landscape. You wouldn't want to get a ping every time you ride through a tunnel, or drive into an underground parking structure. Perhaps a "No Ping Detected In The Last (n) Minutes" feature ????

Which other functions would you find useful? What functions do you think are unnecessary?
A Geo-Fence is nice. You enter an address and it sets up a geo-fence of (n) miles. When a vehicle crosses into, or out of that Geo-Fence, a text message and/or E-mail is sent out. It can let friends know when you are approaching their home. This will reduce the "Just dropping in!" surprises.

Expand it to relay Text messages...

You set up a Geo-Fence at your Uncle Bob's house. The text set up reads, "Out riding. Can I stop by for a visit?"

You ride INTO Uncle Bob's geo-fence. Bob gets the text, "Out riding. Can I stop by for a visit?"

Bob sends back a text, "I'm not home. Catch you next time through." This eliminates your need to get off of the highway and ride To Bob's house to see if he is home, or stop to make a cell phone call.

Bob sends back a text, "Sure. I'm in the garage." Now you know you can divert your ride to bob's house without wasting time.

The imagination reels! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts