Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ecstatic. 82 Suzuki gs550L with 14k for 700 bucks! And she runs! Rough idle tho. Im assuming the carbs need cleaning. First things first. Rusty tank! So many products. So far i like the metal rescue best based on the videos ive seen. What do you guys think? Was it a good deal or did i got took?

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
First of all, welcome. Since you bought a bike that needs a little TLC, l am guessing you are pretty capable in the shop.

I have never cleaned a rusty tank, but some guys say that if there is another tank available they are not worth the trouble because there is a lot of work involved. If it is something that you want to learn how to do, though, then go for it ;) I have heard vinegar works well too

I have heard a lot of guys say that, depending on how bad they are, sometimes you can just run Seafoam in your gas and get a lot of gunk cleaned out, provided the gas hasn't completely gone to varnish. If your bike is running decent but just idling rough you might be able to get away with this.

A lot of times old bikes are hit and miss. How long has it been sitting? Is it complete? Are you going to need to repaint that tank and other body parts? Does it need new tires? How strong is the battery? New tires, mounted, and a battery can be several hundred dollars alone.

So it really boils down to how far you want to take it, how bad it is to begin with, and how much you are capable of doing yourself.

If you go to the home page and scroll down, there are threads for repairs and restorations...l bet you can find lots of good stuff there ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike has had two owners it was very well taken care of written lightly in the warm months and stored in the winter. I don't know very much about motorcycles I'm not a car mechanic. I am HVAC repair service technician and also did die making for four years. I'm very mechanically inclined and a good instructional video goes along way with a competent person.

I believe using the seafoam is a good idea that was my plan at least then work on pulling the carbs this winter and cleaning them. The bike starts good cold as long as the chokes on. After about 10 minutes I can take the choke halfway off and it will idle but removing the choke completely causes the bike to stall within a minute. I've adjusted and idle control nob on the carburetors and have got it to idle without the choke which makes me believe they aren't horrible although they need to be cleaned. There is a small dent on the gas tank that I'm wanting to try the harbor freight that remover tool on if that doesn't work I'm really not too worried about it as this is my first bike anyways. Cosmetically the bike looks great the only rust issue I can see is in the gas tank I think I can tackle that myself. some of the videos I've watched made it look very easy, I know I shouldn't just go by that but if I don't try I'll never know. I want to replace the handlebar grips, throttle cable, brake cable, clutch cable, tac cable, speedo cable, and possibly all the fuel line as well as the break and clutch lever.

The bike has a new battery, decent front and rear tires, as well as a brand-new Dunlop rear tire.

The only immediate issue I see is carburetor related. I believe cleaning with seafoam will get me through the rest of the season and then a complete teardown of the carbs to clean them will be necessary. I'm fairly confident I can handle this task as I've watched some very detailed videos my only concern will be syncing the carbs when I get done.

First things first though. I need to learn to ride!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. To me it seems like your first priority would be sealing that tank so it won't keep plugging filters. Can you remove it and clean it well so rust will not become a long term problem? Once the input of rust flakes and such has stopped, do a thorough cleaning of the carburetors. Older bikes are very nice and responsive if the fuel and ignition systems are in good working order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly the point I'm at now. I will be emptying and cleaning the tank using apple cider vinegar followed by a baking soda water mixture. If heard that sealing the tank isnt necessary if you care for it after proper removal of the rust? Is this true? Also a full carb clean will be done I'm just hesitant as they want 300 bucks to sync the carbs. And that's half the price of the bike. Although I'm sure it would be worth it. Any advice is welcome

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that they want a lot to sync those carbs. I don't think a lot of people work on older bikes anymore, and more and more bikes are going to FI.

Check this out...when l went and bought a wheel the other day, they guy l bought it from had one of these and said it makes syncing super easy. This video also makes it look very simple. The tool is about a hundred bucks. I'm gonna buy one. Scroll down to watch the video

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-...TOR-/381297188762?hash=item58c7155f9a&vxp=mtr

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
What tool? All I saw was........

I wonder what manometer fluid is though. Mine were/are called Mercury sticks for a reason.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
What tool? All I saw was........

I wonder what manometer fluid is though. Mine were/are called Mercury sticks for a reason.
That's why l am buying one...maybe they will accidentally cram her in the box ;)

Evidently Mercury is off the market, so this is the replacement.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Too bad you didn't get the bike down here. I would have given you my mercury sticks. Haven't used them for 20+ years now. Nothing has needed balancing that I now have.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
Hog Are they still full?

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Ha! Well the last time I looked they were but that was about 5 years ago. They moved with me 30 years ago. But I did move them so who knows now.:)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Too bad you didn't get the bike down here. I would have given you my mercury sticks. Haven't used them for 20+ years now. Nothing has needed balancing that I now have.
Aw man...well, no worries...if you put them on the pay it forward thread someone will want them :)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That's exactly the point I'm at now. I will be emptying and cleaning the tank using apple cider vinegar followed by a baking soda water mixture. If heard that sealing the tank isnt necessary if you care for it after proper removal of the rust? Is this true? Also a full carb clean will be done I'm just hesitant as they want 300 bucks to sync the carbs. And that's half the price of the bike. Although I'm sure it would be worth it. Any advice is welcome
Get a tool called carb stix. It amounts to a manometer that you can connect all carburetors at once and compare them. It is far cheaper than the 300 bucks to synch the carbs. It will let you compare one carb to the rest of them and get them all equal and balanced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get a tool called carb stix. It amounts to a manometer that you can connect all carburetors at once and compare them. It is far cheaper than the 300 bucks to synch the carbs. It will let you compare one carb to the rest of them and get them all equal and balanced.
I couldn't find this anywhere? Can you post a link?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help guys. Im still saving money to get the tgings i need to get this bike running better. I did end up taking it to a parking lot and within 5 minutes picked up the clutch and shifting. I diddnt want to do to much for fear of making the carbs worse. Also just be doing some research im pretty sure one of my butterfly valves must be stuck. I smell gas at least.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts