Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just got my drivers licence and bought a 2000 Yamaha V-star 650cc from a friend. I got a great deal on it (it's got only 30 000 km) and it drives like a charm when going around town or even on country roads. I find that it's a great beginners bike.

However, I got a motorcycle for two purposes. One, for the touring part, and the bike is perfect for that. The other one is for commute and save fuel and for that I have to drive a lot on highways.

The problem is that as soon as I go over 95 km/h, I find that it shakes (like the engine is shaking or I don't know) and it's exhausting after a while. I spoke with the person who had the bike and she never passed 100km/h with it. Another friend who also has a v-star 650 say that these bikes are no fun past that speed so to stay below this speed would be the best option.

I have to drive over 200 km (400 round trip) to visit my father and I'dd like to be able to follow the traffic at let's say 110 km/h. (70 mph for the U.S. Guys).

I have an appointment with a Yamaha dealer to have them test drive it and see if it's a normal vibration or if there's a problem with it.

I've already lost a few bolts since I got the bike and drove only 2000 km with it. The vibration can be felt mostly in the pegs, not so much in the handles bars.

I'm guessing because it's only a 650 that might be the problem but others suggested that it's a common thing with V-twin engines.

Can you recommend a motorcycle in the same price range that would be more comfortable for highway speed yet remain agile as I am a beginner.

At first I was looking more for a sport touring bike, something like a Suzuki SV-650 but having driven the Custom for a while I think it's more comfortable for long commutes.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The little Yamaha V-star 650 is a great cruiser and has been around for a long time, is very reliable and has a huge following:

Yamaha V Star Forum

V-Star 650 Classic Discussion Forum | Cruiser Community

650 CC & D

Nuts and bolts falling off the 650 isn't common at all but like any bike, periodically every fastener should be checked and tightened.

65 to 70 mph is okay for the bike but as speed increases so do vibrations but vibrations can be caused by MANY things, so I'm sure the dealer will be of assistance to you and help solve the problem.

A used Suzuki M50 or a used VTX1300 are real values and readily available and they both are very smooth. I've had both and much larger cruisers too:)

Sam

Sam:)

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I know Yamaha makes damn good bikes and stage piano's for musicians too. I guess I would have the Yamy service dept. tell me or suggest which fasteners should have 'thread lock' on them. Maybe a tire lost a weight and is out of balance? I have a lot of respect for Yamaha, I think it is just a matter of either a missing piece or maybe a rubber snubber in/on the engine mounts, once corrected however I think you'll really like that bike

The Suzuki M50/Boulevard is a fine bike, I put a few hundred miles on one not long ago. It had all the beef I wanted, was smooth and handled nicely. So you had an M50 too huh Porky? I really like the looks of that bike, the M90 and the B.O.S.S. which is I believe a C50 maybe a C90?

Ride a lot an ride Safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answer, my friend will lend me her V-star Custom 2006 friday so I can compare and see if there's something wrong with mine or if there's something else.

My appointement is on monday (and I'm changing the front tire also, it's got lots of thread left but it's cracked) but I want to see if the bike really has a problem first.

Would a V-star 950 shake less?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
The 950 would shake less because it is a completely different engine design.

Your 650 and the 1100 are based on the same design.

Sam:smile_big:

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I had a 2009 vstar 650 for about a year, I did not like it. I could not lean it hardly at all without dragging hard parts. I did not like the forward controls either. I do remember it seemed to top out pretty quick too.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
Btw, tires should not be more than 3 years old, if they are cracked... They are super super old.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the front tire replaced this morning and they test drove the bike. The mechanic told me it doesn't shake more or less than any other V-twin engine. It shakes as much at 80km/h in 4th gear than at 110 km/h in 5th.

He also told me that V-twin engines all produce some sort of vibration and if I really don't like it, to try to find a 4 cyl bike instead.

I must confess a few years ago I bough a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 550 and drove it for a bit and cannot remember to have felt any shaking at all.

Guess I'll try to look for something other than a custom bike since I don't think they make 4 cyl custom bikes...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the dealer test drove it and found nothing abnormal vibration wise.

I might be more sensitive to vibration than others.

A colleague of mine drove my bike, he just bought a 2018 Indian Scout Bobber and says that the shaking of my bike wouldn't bother him that much.

He used to have a Honda VTX 1300 and says that the VTX and is Indian don't shake at all like mine does.

I've put it for sale and I'll try to buy a higher displacement bike.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Thanks for your answer, my friend will lend me her V-star Custom 2006 friday so I can compare and see if there's something wrong with mine or if there's something else.

My appointement is on monday (and I'm changing the front tire also, it's got lots of thread left but it's cracked) but I want to see if the bike really has a problem first.

Would a V-star 950 shake less?
WELL? How did it go? Did you take your friend's V-Star out for a comparison ride? how did hers ride?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WELL? How did it go? Did you take your friend's V-Star out for a comparison ride? how did hers ride?
Well yes I did finally last week. It feels pretty much like mine. She has the Custom and I have the Classic and I did find that her suspension is a lot stiffer than mine. My Classic is smoother on cracked pavement and I do prefer it that way.

Other than that, the vibration is pretty similar and she tried mine and she said that she doesn't mind it.

I guess I'm a little too fussy...

So I'm going to try to get a bigger, less shaky bike...

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

A good way to find out if the vibration is engine caused or wheel caused is to get up to a good speed, hold the clutch in, drop engine speed to idle. If your vibration is gone, your engine is causing it. Your bike is NOT a touring bike. You will probably never get one that small that will be as smooth at speed as a designated "tour" bike.

My RoadStar 1600 (a large cruiser) is sometimes a bit buzzy at speeds over 60 mph. I just got used to it on high speed roads. I made it a point to ride back roads where 60 mph was fast enough on long trips.

--

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
I had a VStar 650 at one point. I put a tach on it I first got it. I don't remember now if it was 65 or 70 that the bike was doing 5k on the tach. I think it was 70. Everyone says it won't hurt the bike to run those rpm's but I didn't like it either and went to a bigger bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thing is, I wouldn't want to end up buying a Goldwing just for that...

Would a Sport-Touring bike be less shaky? I'm looking a lot at used Suzuki SV-650. They sell for cheap and rev up to 11 000 rpm so my guess is that at highway speed the engine must be a lot less shaky?

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have a 2002 sv 650 monday night i was on the interstate for 15 miles doing 70 and 80 no vibration at all i top out at 80 not having a fairing. i like two lane blacktop at 65. with the the sv your leaning forward a bit the vstrom is basically the same with an upright seating posture.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got someone who is willing to trade in is 1999 SV650s for my V-star. We are meeting up this noon to do the switch at the Quebec's equivalent of the DMV...

I hope I'll like it.

Thanks all for your inputs!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got the front tire replaced this morning and they test drove the bike. The mechanic told me it doesn't shake more or less than any other V-twin engine. It shakes as much at 80km/h in 4th gear than at 110 km/h in 5th.

He also told me that V-twin engines all produce some sort of vibration and if I really don't like it, to try to find a 4 cyl bike instead.

I must confess a few years ago I bough a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 550 and drove it for a bit and cannot remember to have felt any shaking at all.

Guess I'll try to look for something other than a custom bike since I don't think they make 4 cyl custom bikes...

The Suzuki SV650 is a 90 degree V twin and it does not shake at all. The engine is very smooth all the way to about 135 MPH. I know this because I have owned two of the Gen 1 bikes. The second one was an S model with the fairing but still not a full on crotch racer type. I could feel like I was loafing along and look down and see the speedo wrapping 110 MPH.

The lack of comfort of "naked" street bikes is much exaggerated. Frankly, I find them far more comfortable than the forward control thing that is so popular now. And much better balance and control.

J

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with you the SV doesn't shake at all on the highway. I have not driven on a long ride with it yet but for my daily commute to work I find it a lot of fun.

Here's a pic of both motorcycles at the DMV to switch plates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts