Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm ok. Nothing broken. A little road rash from landing a forward 1 1/2 somersault. Honda Silverwing (maxi-scooter) likely has a bent frame. Wearing my helmet.

Sitting at a light tonight an impaired driver decided to split lanes between myself and the pickup truck in the next lane rather than stop for the red light. It MAY have turned green right as she hit me but I wasn't on the throttle yet, feet were still on the ground. Caught the rear of my Silverwing and shoved the muffler several inches forward, bike (I think) did a wheelie and I flew through the air with the greatest of ease...

I was first in line at the light.

Young woman driver who appeared impaired stopped long enough to shout something at me, then took off at full throttle. I had the presence of mind to read her license plate as did several other witnesses to the crash.

White Mitsubishi Galant with an Oklahoma plate. 1FDN164 or similar.

She apparently had nearly hit several other drivers on her way from the last red light to this one. Numerous drivers reported her speeding, weaving, texting, and watched her headed right for me. One driver with a six year old son onboard said the son was pretty shaken up from seeing it, asked "Is she going to hit us next?"

The EMT's checked me out and told me I'd better get a handle on my high blood pressure before THAT killed me.

I'm the luckiest guy on earth. If she'd missed hitting my muffler she'd probably have taken my leg off, if she'd hit the rear of the bike squarely I'd probably have gone under her wheels. As is she didn't even damage the tail lights or reflector and I got thrown out of her path. Some piece of her bumper (evidence!) got wedged into my tailpipe.

At the moment it happened I knew I'd been rear ended, what I didn't know was what would be next, getting run over, spine crushed by a bumper, whatever. I recall hearing a crunch, but it wasn't all that loud.

I'm home now having a stiff drink and some Ibuprofen.

More than a dozen motorists witnessed it, stopped to help, talked to the police, one driver even attempted to chase her down and then came back. I was really impressed at their kindness and concern over me.

15+ years of incident-free motorcycling have now come to an end, but boy do I feel lucky. If I'd had a leather jacket on I'd have no injuries at all.

The only thing I can think of I did wrong was I was a little tired tonight after a long day. I probably shouldn't have been on the bike at all.

Cheers!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,296 Posts
As much crap as I and others give you, I am glad you are okay, and hope they catch the B!TCH

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
wade

HECK of a deal man. you've got a pretty good attitude about this.
Like you said - this could have ended very badly.
Glad that the only thing you need is alcohol, ibuprofen ... and BP medications!

some days .. we just survive!
give thanks to the Good Lord and get some sleep.

dT

·
Registered
809 Posts
Glad you got lucky - in the sense of not being seriously hurt!! I realize you weren't lucky at all to be in her path.

Hopefully they will catch her - but in my experience they are pretty lenient if they don't catch them while they are still intoxicated. Maybe you can help press for prosecution if she gets caught.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
As much crap as I and others give you, I am glad you are okay, and hope they catch the B!TCH
I'm in concert with Critter here. We do give you a hard time but we sure wouldn't hire an impaired hit-woman to do you harm! ;)

Really am glad you're okay. :icon_cool:

It must have been the day for the impaired to be out. On my way home from church a lady in an SUV pulled out in front of me making me move into the other lane (which was clear). I pulled back in front of her and watched her follow me the next two miles, weaving from the middle of the inside lane to the far shoulder... dropping way back and then racing up on my rear bumper. Maybe she was a sister to the gal that hit you and they were busy texting each other. :frown:

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
So glad to hear it wasn't worse! Glad your angel was working overtime. I hope you're not too sore the next few days. Take care of yourself!

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I'm in concert with Critter here. We do give you a hard time but we sure wouldn't hire an impaired hit-woman to do you harm! ;)

Really am glad you're okay. :icon_cool:

It must have been the day for the impaired to be out. On my way home from church a lady in an SUV pulled out in front of me making me move into the other lane (which was clear). I pulled back in front of her and watched her follow me the next two miles, weaving from the middle of the inside lane to the far shoulder... dropping way back and then racing up on my rear bumper. Maybe she was a sister to the gal that hit you and they were busy texting each other. :frown:
Was bad here this weekend too. And for some reason it appears to be women in SUV's that are having the hardest time driving. May be the wind, I don't know.

·
Ace Tuner
2,905 Posts
One night I had a drunk hit me from behind while sitting at a red light. The police didn't charge him for the crash, just a DWI with an accident.
They said if he had two charges he could possibly get one (the DWI) dismissed, they didn't want that. Of course he had no insurance.

Even though I was holding the brake on (with brake light), didn't matter, he got me.
My mistake was not watching my mirrors close enough. I do now. And I 'pump' the brake light while sitting at a stop light.
These days I check my brake/tail light before every ride. I'm some kind of paranoid about getting hit from behind.

Watch those mirrors guys and look for the place you'll go when some idiot doesn't stop in time.

Hope you have a speedy recovery wadenelson.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I'm not sure which is worse, left hand turners or stop sign/lights. Both we are extremely vulnerable. Certainly glad your are relatively okay.

And I too hope they catch the azzhole and throw the book at her. Texting drivers I think are far more dangerous than drunks.

Drunks usually know they are impaired and are at least trying to avoid a collision.

Texters think they are better than anyone else on the road because they can multi-task. Which so far from fact.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Dude, absolutely no bit of that is your fault. And rest assured, with a dozen eye witnesses, and a full license plate, she's toast.

Probably in custody, as we speak.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Was bad here this weekend too. And for some reason it appears to be women in SUV's that are having the hardest time driving. May be the wind, I don't know.
If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's a combination of:

A) Lacking abilities. SUVs are not quite the same as compact coups. They take some extra understanding and care to properly operate, and unfortunately, not a lot of people realize this.

B) Blind spots. Adding to the above lacking of abilities, is the reduced vision.

C) Distractions. I find something of a trend between people who drive SUVs, and being prone to distractions. Be it jamming to the radio / adjusting the station, or playing with their phones, or stuffing a burger in their face, applying makeup while driving, or even just not paying attention.

D) General carelessness. Something a lot of drivers of ANY vehicle are prone to. Especially younger drivers, who don't realize that there's a world beyond their noses, and probably try to show off their car with pseudo-racing.

E) Overreliance on "gadgets". Yes, that back up camera, and those blind spot warning things, auto-parallel parking tech, and console gauges are pretty nice luxuries, but they are exactly that. Luxuries. But more and more people are relying on them, and even the most sophisticated computer is no substitute for human awareness. Machines are fallible, and you're still in full control of the vehicle.

Really, it could be a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Geez Wade that's a tough ride, glad you're OK!

You're the techno-geek around here,., any dash-cam footage of the incident?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Good to hear that you are OK, and will be able to return to riding. I guess your scoot is totaled, so this will give you the opportunity to get a new ride (I used to ride a Silverwing; I think if I ever go back to a scooter it would be the Burgman this time). When I was an MSF Instructor we would teach the students to stay in gear at a stop light so that if they saw a vehicle coming from behind at a fast speed they could get out of the way, rather than sitting in neutral while waiting for the light to change to green. But in truth, being rear ended can happen so fast that even if one is watching his mirrors and staying in gear it is not likely that you could react quickly enough to avoid being hit. But at least you are not seriously hurt. Machinery can be replaced but people can't be.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I've always wondered if I saw something about to happen and like you say, probably too late, but I started to move then got hit if I'd be sighted for a moving violation of maybe reckless driving. Simply because I started to move and get away. Any LEO's care to say? Changes are the bike would look like I was starting to lane split just to add to the confusion of scene diagnosis. Bike would probably be launched into other cars as well. All in an effort to try to avoid being hit but too late and got hit anyway. Yeah, I think about that while I'm sitting there watching my mirrors.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
I don't think any of us would have the time to react if we even saw someone about to hit us.

A car can cover distance very quickly. Too quickly to react.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I've always wondered if I saw something about to happen and like you say, probably too late, but I started to move then got hit if I'd be sighted for a moving violation of maybe reckless driving. Simply because I started to move and get away. Any LEO's care to say? Changes are the bike would look like I was starting to lane split just to add to the confusion of scene diagnosis. Bike would probably be launched into other cars as well. All in an effort to try to avoid being hit but too late and got hit anyway. Yeah, I think about that while I'm sitting there watching my mirrors.
If you are able to lane split to avoid a crash, I don't think you would be cited in most circumstances. Of course, if you happened to hit someone walking in the crosswalk or something similar, that could be different.

·
Visionary
4,614 Posts
WOW! Glad your OK! I hope the responsible driver gets the book thrown at her.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts