Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can't really express it properly, but watching that movie 30 years later was painful because it is so honest.
Some of the movie was good, and it certainly resonated with me even the... but the roughness of being oin the road wasn't as much Hollywood as contemporary riders might imagine... I recall having to wait at the gas-pumps in the rain because the guy inisde didn't serve motorcyclists (no self-service in those days), so I had to wait until the new guy showed up later in the evening -- riding through rural Mississippi on a Carolina to Texas trek as i recal... or droping an electrical lead in the middle of the night in Lousiianna and riding on for another 30-45 minutes on one cyclinder on my Norton because I sure wasn't going to stop in the middle of the night in some unknown farmer's field (was an easy fix, once I saw what was broken, but...). Riders had to fend for themselves fairly often, but the machines seemed far simpler and most who rode them knew enough to keep `em going... hotesl were strickly out, no sense even asking... slept on are beside the bike if we found a quiet place...

But was very good times too -- not all the brand parochialisms like nowday, in fact seldom another rider on the open road...

·
Nightfly
4,403 Posts
Only an idiot would pay a million dollars for a copy of this bike. Has the entire point of originality been forgotten?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,949 Posts
I’ve ridden a few, none raked like that tho.
Biggest thing I noticed, when you start leaninginto a turn, the bike will want to, I dunno how to say it, keep turning into itself, wanting to make an even tighter turn.
It’s like you really have to grab the grips and really force the front end to not flip all the way into the right or left.

understeer or oversteer, something like that I think is what they call it.

I think the term you are looking for is falling over. It wants to fall to the inside of the turn.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts