Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up for auction on Mecums site. End of January.
Probably the most recognized bike on Planet Earth.
Real or a copy, don't matter.

The Captain America Bike.

·
Visionary
4,285 Posts
There are copies of both of the bikes at the Motorcyclopedia Museum in Newburgh, NY

left.jpg right.jpg

·
Visionary
4,285 Posts
Lot of history right there Mike. Both, great examples of what was going on back in the day.
Always liked the Billy Bike a bit more, but hey, both, beautiful rides.
I love the look of Captain America bike, but I can't imagine that riding with all that rake could be practical, though I know people used to ride them like that.

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve ridden a few, none raked like that tho.
Biggest thing I noticed, when you start leaninginto a turn, the bike will want to, I dunno how to say it, keep turning into itself, wanting to make an even tighter turn.
It’s like you really have to grab the grips and really force the front end to not flip all the way into the right or left.

understeer or oversteer, something like that I think is what they call it.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
65 Posts
Yep, that was a different era... good and occasionally less than good...
An often overlooked aspect of that movie is that it tried to show people as they really are. The tagline on the movie poster was "A man went looking for America and couldn't find it anywhere." And in an interview a few years later Peter Fonda said that near the end of the movie when he says "We blew it" he didn't just mean the two bikers, he meant everybody. Watching it in a theater when it was first made, you see the two bikers or the hippies or the ******** as good or bad depending on your social/political/cultural leanings. But watching it 30-40 years later you realize everybody was wrong or misguided or inept or foolish to some extent.

I can't really express it properly, but watching that movie 30 years later was painful because it is so honest.

·
Very Famous Person
9,912 Posts
--
I remember Easy Rider well. I was passing through the south shortly after that and sleeping at parks alongside the road on the way and was so nervous that I could be attacked that I don't think I slept much at all in my sleeping bag. Then to bathe, I would jump into a lake, rub my body for 2 seconds, then jump out. I wanted to avoid cottonmouth snakes. Terrible trip. :LOL:
--

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
--
I remember Easy Rider well. I was passing through the south shortly after that and sleeping at parks alongside the road on the way and was so nervous that I could be attacked that I don't think I slept much at all in my sleeping bag. Then to bathe, I would jump into a lake, rub my body for 2 seconds, then jump out. I wanted to avoid cottonmouth snakes. Terrible trip. :LOL:
--
I watched it at the local drive in with a few of my friends.
We were 15, 16 year olds in '69/'70.

Every one of us was gonna hit the road as soon as we got out of school.

F&#k the man!

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An often overlooked aspect of that movie is that it tried to show people as they really are. The tagline on the movie poster was "A man went looking for America and couldn't find it anywhere." And in an interview a few years later Peter Fonda said that near the end of the movie when he says "We blew it" he didn't just mean the two bikers, he meant everybody. Watching it in a theater when it was first made, you see the two bikers or the hippies or the ******** as good or bad depending on your social/political/cultural leanings. But watching it 30-40 years later you realize everybody was wrong or misguided or inept or foolish to some extent.

I can't really express it properly, but watching that movie 30 years later was painful because it is so honest.
That's a good point Ron, I wondered about that a few times.
It was like, how did they blow it?
They didn't rip anyone off, steal a girl or wife, I kinda thought.
Well, that scene in the diner with those teenage girls, that was a close one😀

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
65 Posts
It was like, how did they blow it?
They didn't rip anyone off, steal a girl or wife....
When the movie starts Wyatt and Billy are smuggling drugs across the Mexican border for a rich big-time pusher whom they clearly despise (as indicated by the background music being God Damn The Pusher). These aren't exactly upstanding law-abiding citizens.

In the next scene is Wyatt looks at his expensive watch, takes it off, and throws it on the ground, which clearly indicates he and Billy are fed up with the life they've been living and are hitting the road in search of a better life, part of which is not having any set schedule and not caring about owning bling or chasing any more money than what they've already made.

By the time they get to New Orleans it becomes clear to Wyatt that whatever it is they've ridden all this way looking for doesn't exist, or at least they're not on the right path to find it. That's why he says "We blew it." At least that's my take.

Peter Fonda said he made that scene ambiguous on purpose because he wanted people to put their own interpretation on it. Some movies are like that, everybody sees it differently according to who they are and where they are in their life.

·
Very Famous Person
9,912 Posts
--
I haven't seen that movie for 51 years. It's hard to remember all the little insertions into it and their meanings. I just remember the dramatic scenes.
--

·
Registered
2016 Honda Rebel 250
65 Posts
I wonder if doing a search for the creator of the bike, will yield results. He got ignored!! UK
Why wonder when it only takes a minute to actually do a google search and it gives you a pagefull of useful results like this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts