Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I have looked through the forums and have come across no threads on the GoPro Hero 3. I have done my basic research as to looking online under the comparison chart of the white, silver and black editions, but understanding everything that is being said is a foreign language to me. Also, I have asked salesmen. It's always the same thing for a commissioned employee, and it's to get the $350 black edition.
Now I'm here to my trusted forum friends and willing to take all your opinions. Please pass on your experiences, or things that you have heard. Keep in mind I am not a professional racer, just someone who enjoys the ride and wants to share my riding experience with others with a decent camera, not blurry and not breaking the bank. Also, keep in mind that I live in Washington State. Rain is a close relative here (in the event anyone suggests a different brand).
I am looking forward to your suggestions and questions if any.

·
Severed Head
464 Posts
Not a GoPro fan. Just about every vlogger on YouTube has abandoned the hardware. Vloggers may not be your thing, but these guys do use their equipment several days a week. I tend to trust the opinions of the people that have lots of time hands on.

GoPro wins on video quality. Comes up short everywhere else.

Fot my money, I'd grab one of the Drift cams. Ghost HD prefereably. Much more user friendly with a better profile than the GoBrick. The GoPro has a plethora of mounts available that the others lack, but that's generally because the other cams don't "need" them. The ability to compensate for weird off-angle shots is built into the hardware. Also, GoPro seems to be following apple's lead in requiring GP specific accessories. No thanks. Look around at other options. Search youtube for camera reviews. AccidentalBroadcast & TheGardenSnake have some interesting things to say about the Hero3...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Castle81. Thank you for the advice. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. All I know about is GoPro. Never heard any of these other brands. Will be researching them too.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
I've had a gopro for a couple years and love it, and have crash tested it. For what you need, the silver will work fine. The features on the other two are awesome but aren't necessary. The gopro has an accessory line that is unmatched by other mountable cameras and I haven't seen one break yet. I'm not familiar with other cameras so I will only comment on the gopro. Durable, fairly simple camera to use. I crashed mine on my R1 going about 40 mph, have thrown it around and gone over 170 mph with it on my bike and it is a solid camera. I hunt, fish and ride with it. Solid camera and I've had zero issues with it(and I've got an older model without all the cool new stuff on it.) If you want to look at some of my videos, look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbq3W6S0eHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KeIiSbkqR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF6NmnXrQJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNnSB7OiRI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lrlCQqwUw

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gopro has an accessory line that is unmatched by other mountable cameras and I haven't seen one break yet.
I've done alot of research on the White, Silver and Black editions, and I came to the same conclusion as you. The Silver. I looked at your videos. Really nice quality. What Edition is this one? Have you had experience with the Black. The only REAL benefit I have heard is you get some sort of wireless remote to turn it on. Does the price tag really make it that much more convenient?

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Heck, I've got the original hero motorsports edition. Mine doesn't have wifi, a remote or any of that cool stuff :) Honestly, the gopro's are worth the money, I've had mine for at least 3-4 years now and love it. The new ones are just a lot better than what I have. Plus the 3D video is way cool. Just get the silver if you are going to get one, that is a nicer equivalent of what I have and I paid 300 for mine when it was new. Another cool thing about the gopros is the amount of mounting brackets that you have available through gopro. See my write up here about my gopro, I put some thought into it :thumbsup:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=111326

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a very informative article. That is an amazing picture for the original Hero. I know they increased the MP's, so the image quality would be freaking amazing if yours is amazing. My only downfall is the battery life, from reviews I've got, averages about 40 minutes. Is this something you have experienced?

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Never had battery life issues unless I forgot to charge it. Quite honestly I would run out of memory before I had any other problems due to only having a small memory card when I first bought it. A 32 gb class 8 (or above I think) is necessary. You can increase battery life by lowering resolution or carrying an extra battery if you are worried.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that makes sense. You know how people can be.
"my battery died on the 3rd day of use. Very disappointed that I have to charge it. Sending back."
GoPro recommended the 32 gb on their website also. So I think I will go for that one.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Cool, enjoy and post up some videos. Don't be afraid to try out some different mounts, the 3m mounts won't take paint off your bike and will come off fairly easy (but not when mounted to the bike) Also, the suction cup mount will pull dents out of a car (i've used it to do such a thing) and wont come off if mounted properly. The helmet mounts are kinda cool but after 50 mph or so it started to strain my neck on the road. The chest mount is pretty neat but I haven't got to use it too much other than fishing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The gopro has an accessory line that is unmatched by other mountable cameras and I haven't seen one break yet.
During long trips on bad roads I've seen more than one GoPro mounts give due to vibrations.

However it was always our camera of choice.

@OP

Go silver if you haven't already.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to Best buy the other day to look at a comparison of the GoPro and the Contour HD. They told me that Contour had gone out of business and it's hard to find much of anything for Contour. Sounds like GoPro is really the only thing left for quality

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
I went to Best buy the other day to look at a comparison of the GoPro and the Contour HD. They told me that Contour had gone out of business and it's hard to find much of anything for Contour. Sounds like GoPro is really the only thing left for quality
I couldn't remember what company had gone out of business and I was thinking it was contour but couldn't remember. Yea, I'd stick with the gopro, hell they use them in movies for action shots so you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I'd stick with the gopro, hell they use them in movies for action shots so you can't go wrong.
Will do. I mentioned all this to my wife and she is planning on getting this for me for Christmas. Not much of a surprise now that I know what I'm getting, but still looking forward to it. I'll post some videos with the GoPro, so keep an eye out everyone!
Thank you all for your input, helped out alot.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I just found this thread and thought l would revive it rather than starting a new one.

I am thinking it would be cool to have a camera for rides. What l would like to do is make some videos, but more than that, take photos of scenery as l am riding along. Do they make helmet cams that do this? Just how do you operate them? Any suggestions on brands/models/etc? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I agree the GoPro's probably have the best video quality, but I just don't like their "brick" shape, and they're too dam pricy. Maybe the $ is justifiable if I was using it for commercial purposes but I'm not. I just want 'decent quality' video from a good form factor camera and I don't have an unlimited budget.

I'm buying "something" this year too, and have been doing quite a bit of research. Here are my current favorites

-Sony. Any of the recent models look great, and their biggest claim-to-fame is they have image stabilization options

-Drift Stealth 2. A brand new model, it's TINY & takes pretty good video.

If you are dying to get a GoPro but can't handle the price of admission, there are clones on the market, and a surprisingly good one is called the SJ4000 (look it up!) for just over $100 it's one to consider

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_70401.html

Here's a video comparison to a GoPro. Keeping the price in mind, the SJ4000 kicks butt ($120 vs $400)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Can you take still photos with them NordicMan?
Yes most action-cams also allow you to take still photos, even while you're recording video!

They will usually have a button on the side of the camera for taking stills, or on some models like the Drift Stealth 2 they can even have a wireless remote strapped to your wrist to activate stills & video.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts