Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather here in this part of the Midwest has been amazing for the last several days. I uncovered the motorcycle, disconnected the Battery Tender, added air to the tires, and got out for a ride every day for the last four days. Christmas day was the best, with temps hitting the mid 50's, hardly a car or bike on the road, and had a great ride down the road along the Rock River from Rockford to Dixon and back, about 120 miles total. This was especially sweet after the super cold November we had. But now the temps are dropping again, and I won't be surprised if my ride today was the last one for awhile. With the country roads clear and clean, and so little traffic, I did get to indulge my "need for speed", hitting the ton on a favorite straight stretch of road. I guess tomorrow the Battery Tender goes back on, the pipes get stuffed with rags to keep the little critters out, and the cover goes on while the bike sleeps quietly in my garage.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
When I came over to the mainland a few days ago, it was nice and warm. All set for another high speed run on the freeway. Picking up speed, past 80, then sputter sputter cough cough, out of gas. Found reserve after a fiddle and off we went. So no knew land speed record this time. We are just dropping to freezing again over night. But I will not be back on the mighty 400 for about a week.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Lucky guy. I spent near 70º days trimming trees and mowing weeds. Wanted to ride Christmas day but didn't want to do that and leave my wife home slaving in the kitchen. Yesterday it was back to trimming trees along our half mile drive. And I have to trim them back and high enough that an 18 wheeler can get it. Some truckers don't want their fancy shiny rigs scratched so I make it so that won't happen.:) :) :) They do notice and appreciate it.(y) (y) (y) The need for some kind of work never ends on our little ranch.:( :( :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here in North Carolina we are also hitting record highs. Just below 70 degrees for the past couple of days but tomorrow is the turning point. At least I got a ride in on Friday and it looks like New Year's Day is going to be in the lower fifties. That means my first-on-the-first ride will take place. I try to do it every year and sometimes snow flurries were right there with me, but the first-on-the-first is important to me.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
For weeks now, we've been having colder than normal temps here with snow and ice.
This week it's finally warming up a bit. Supposed to hit 50 with rain at least through
Monday.
It was BEAUTIFUL out there today. I really REALLY wanted to go for a ride!
But the roads are still covered in that damned salt from the snow and ice
last week. There is NO WAY I'll take the bike out in that.
After the rain Sunday and Monday, the roads should be washed clean.
Just MAYBE I'll be able to get out a bit after that, before we go back to
normal winter snow conditions here.

·
Registered
501 Posts
At the end of the day, it wasn't really up to me that we moved to San Antonio. Work dictated, and we responded (with a little more than usual enthusiasm, this time). We are very fortunate to live in this climate!

It would be tempting to gloat about where we live if we'd had a choice. :) We didn't, but we do have a choice about moving again, and it looks like that choice is made. This time next year it will be almost over. Bye bye job, hello year round riding.

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
I got in some riding too, yeah, some of the roads were salty but it was also warm enough to wash the bikes, so after doing my 3 hours of riding and 2 hours of penance all is good again :)

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
I've had a couple of really good opportunities at my job recently but they would involve moving to our home office in frozen Chiberia (aka Chicago) and I'm not sure I could handle the weather there, working in it isn't the problem, but not riding for months is a real possibility. This year I imagine it's not bad but I was there for that -25 Polar vortex event last year, DAMN was it cold.
Pennsylvania is on the border between year round riding and seasonal, I can deal with it so I stayed, though sometimes I envy my brother who now lives in TN, about 20 miles from the Dragon.
I did seriously consider an opening in Los Angeles, my former boss transferred there and tried to bring me along too, they have damn near perfect weather all year round and lane splitting so it sounds like 2 wheel heaven but there were some other things I just didn't want to deal with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts