Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Bought a Biltwell ****** S ECE and had to size up due to the extra padding on the ECE version. Normally wear a medium but had to go large and they only have two shell sizes (SM-MD and LG-XXL) and now I look like a bobblehead when I wear it due to the massive shell.
Might return for a different ECE compliant helmet that I can wear in a medium

Anyone know any good brands?

For reference, here is the ****** S, want a helmet in a similar minimalistic style.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi All,

Bought a Biltwell ****** S ECE and had to size up due to the extra padding on the ECE version. Normally wear a medium but had to go large and they only have two shell sizes (SM-MD and LG-XXL) and now I look like a bobblehead when I wear it due to the massive shell.
Might return for a different ECE compliant helmet that I can wear in a medium

Anyone know any good brands?

For reference, here is the ****** S, want a helmet in a similar minimalistic style.
If you're looking for a vintage "style" helmet, then buy a vintage helmet. Because the padding will be pre-worn, you might be able to get a slightly smaller size and avoid that "bobble head" look.

The best well-worn helmets are the Arai Quantum/e, the Arai Quantum/s, and the Icon Alliance. The guys put a lot of sweat into those lids before they sell them on eBay.

The first time you get in a used Arai or Icon, you're gonna smell 50,000 miles of sweat and cooties that have lived deep in the padding for years, but it only takes about ten minutes per ride to acclimate. After a month, you'll be completely used to wearing another guy's sweat.

Helmet stink is the new smell of a used lid.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
After buying the Harley, I started looking for retro helmets because most of my helmets are modern looking full faced or modulars. I wanted something that would match the 70's styling of the Super Glide Custom. I was mostly looking for 3/4 helmets, but I also ran across some full faced retro helmets. Bell Makes a full face retro helmet called the Bullitt helmet. Its apparently pretty popular among the retro rider crowd. They also make a line of 3/4 retro low profile helmets called Bell Custom 500. Low profile so they dont give you that bobble head look. Bell helmets are available globally, so they are DOT & ECE. As a matter of fact, I had to order the Check It Helmet from a vendor in the UK, limited production and sold out here. I have two that I purchased specifically for when I'm riding the Harley, The Custom 500 Check-It and the Custom 500 Rally. I use goggles with these helmets for that 70's look (and of course for eye protection).

A company called Torc also makes a retro full faced helmet called the T-1, and Ness makes a 70's style full face helmet called the XG100 Racer Grandwin. Both have good reviews and both are DOT & ECE rated. Both are also availabe in several colors. AVG also makes a full faced retro helmet available in several colors, its more 60's styling. I dont remember the rating on this one. All three were similarly priced at around $259 to $269 US.

The two Bell retro helmets that I went with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts