Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title says it all! :-D I'm thinking about buying my first bike. It seems like a Honda CB300F would be pretty ideal. They cost about $4k new. I was wondering if it's possible to get something similar but used for about half. I have no idea how fast (or not) bikes lose values on the second-hand market, so I apologize for being a little bit clueless. I looked in my area's Craigslist a little bit and did not really find anything similar... basically I'd use it for commuting so 300c to 500cc would be more than enough. I'd prefer no fairing since it's be my first bike... thanks!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
You can certainly find a good used 250 or 500 Ninja for around that price. For a new rider they are great bikes, get 60-70 mpg, will do highway speeds, are very forgiving...and for a new rider, the differences between the three bikes are negligible. The 500 is a little bit more bike and would be my choice, but there are a lot more 250's around.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The cool thing about small Ninjas is, they are great, dependable little bikes, and maybe the most popular starter bike in America. Everyone that has them drops them, they get knicked and dinged up, you ride them for a year or two and then sell it for about what you paid for it. Maybe you sell it for a couple hundred less than you paid...so it's like renting a bike for a year for a few hundred bucks. Bargain.

Also, the best advice anyone gave me when l was bike shopping...it's your first bike, not your last. Be most concerned with functionality. In a year or two, then you buy your dream :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to give me an idea: I see one on Craigslist for $2,500 and about 6,000 miles on it, seems to be in good condition with 'minor cosmetic flaws', whatever that means. 2009 I believe. Sounds about right? A little on the high side for a 2009 model no?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Just to give me an idea: I see one on Craigslist for $2,500 and about 6,000 miles on it, seems to be in good condition with 'minor cosmetic flaws', whatever that means. 2009 I believe. Sounds about right? A little on the high side for a 2009 model no?
I would say that is about right for a 2009. I saw a 2008 the other day for $2500. I tend to see a lot of them from, say, 2000-2005ish...like this

http://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/5225650570.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts