Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why cruiser and not street bike? Because Im not a big fan of that much speed. Im 43 years old and looking to just cruise the highways and enjoy the road. I also want to be able to ride longer than 1 and 1/2 hrs. before stopping to rest my back. I also have a lower back issue that flares up from time to time; a crotch rocket wont help that at all.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,305 Posts
I suggest a good, used Suzuki 800 Velousia/ M50 or a Honda Shadow 750 as there are lots available in your price range and they are great, reliable bikes and good for the new rider and the experienced ones too.

Be careful and have fun!

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why cruiser and not street bike? Because Im not a big fan of that much speed. Im 43 years old and looking to just cruise the highways and enjoy the road. I also want to be able to ride longer than 1 and 1/2 hrs. before stopping to rest my back. I also have a lower back issue that flares up from time to time; a crotch rocket wont help that at all.
I think that a touring bike would work for you, too.
Or a big scooter like Forza or TMax - much easier for the beginner.

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
Any mid sized cruiser will work fine for you, a 250 would be awfully small for a big guy ( I'm the same size), so look at 500-800 size bikes. These bikes are on the heavier side but the power won't be too much to learn on, but they are capable of interstate speeds too.
My daughter learned on a Marauder 800, she had no real problems.

The brand doesn't matter,they all make this size bike and you can find them cheap. Look at Vstars, Shadows, Vulcans, Marauders, Boulevards, all these are good mid sized cruisers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless you were looking at your first dirt bike or dual sport, I don't have much experience to offer in the way of the sort of motorcycle, which I think you're looking for.

I loved learning on dirt first. It gave me some skills which transferred to the street without the danger of people who don't see you.

This brings me to my suggestion. MSF or a similar course is a great way to start to be safer and it was all I needed to upgrade my license with an "M" as well. McRider is a great way to learn tons of concepts which are taught in MSF but you won't retain it all in one good. He's on YouTube. He also teaches a lot of things, which I don't think was in MSF, but like I said, you won't remember it all. Just keep applying more safety to your riding, ride in your limits.

I feel like YouTube sensed my post winter riding worries and suggested McRider for me to watch. While most of YouTube's riding views is around being unsafe and getting in trouble with law enforcement officers, he's there to keep you trained to be thinking and acting safer.

I'm DE Nichols on there too so you may see me in the comments.

McRider's Channel

·
Registered
384 Posts
Love my Vulcan 900 custom and don't think it would be to much bike for ya. It only produces around 56 horse power which is enough power to ride any interstate yet not to much to be intimidating to most. It has a low seat height where you would be able to touch flat footed and IMO is very comfortable.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts