Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been wanting to get a bike for years now and decided now is the time to start doing something. I've ridden a bike once, but only once. I was definitely going to take a course and learn how to ride a bike, but I was curious what a good beginner sports bike would be recommended? I've done a lot of reading and read that most of the sports bikes which are like 600cc and up are definitely not recommended for beginners and I agree. I was thinking about maybe a kawasaki ninja 300? Does that sound reasonable for a first bike? What would you guys recommend?

I know this one is a little far fetched, but I really like the older ducati 648. I understand that this is a high cc bike, but I was thinking that since it's older it's definetely heavier than the 600cc bikes that are made today? Would the older 648 still be too much for a beginner? Reason I threw this model in was because I read that the ninja can't be driven at speeds greater than 70 mph for long periods of time.

Weight: 185 (athletic)

Appreciate the helps guys! Can't wait to start getting things rolling!

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'm not sure. I'm new to learning about bikes, but I've read multiple things about this bike (actually I think it was the 250 not the 300) that it starts to lose stability at speeds greater than that.
I would question the source. The 300 or 250 can do 70 all day long.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The ninja 250/300 is an ideal motorcycle to learn on.

Also consider the Ninja 500, Ninja 650, Honda CBR 250, Suzuki SV650. The main theme here is a single or twin cylinder. These make the best sport motorcycles to learn on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ninja 250/300 is an ideal motorcycle to learn on.

Also consider the Ninja 500, Ninja 650, Honda CBR 250, Suzuki SV650. The main theme here is a single or twin cylinder. These make the best sport motorcycles to learn on.
I always thought bigger cc's bikes were not meant for noobs to learn on, but you say a ninja 500/650 could be considered. What about an older ducati 648?

·
Registered
621 Posts
That probably depends on how mature you are. You can ride a larger bike tamely and it'll be fine, but some newer riders want to test its limits and it's beyond their ability. A bigger will also be heavier, making slow speed maneuvers more tricky, which is something to consider for a new rider. It's also harder to pick up should you drop it.

If you've not taken the BRC I would suggest doing so. It will give you a chance to ride and assess your skill set. There's a lot things you'd never consider, but will effect your thinking. Plus, it's a lot of fun. Before I took the class, I was considering larger bike, but after taking the class, decided on a smaller TU250x. A smaller bike is more nimble and forgiving of the mistakes a newer rider will inevitably make. I almost dropped my TUX in the parking lot the other day at work. My TUX will do 70MPH and is very stable, but there's not much left in the tank if you try to gas it at 70MPH. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That probably depends on how mature you are. You can ride a larger bike tamely and it'll be fine, but some newer riders want to test its limits and it's beyond their ability. A bigger will also be heavier, making slow speed maneuvers more tricky, which is something to consider for a new rider. It's also harder to pick up should you drop it.

If you've not taken the BRC I would suggest doing so. It will give you a chance to ride and assess your skill set. There's a lot things you'd never consider, but will effect your thinking. Plus, it's a lot of fun. Before I took the class, I was considering larger bike, but after taking the class, decided on a smaller TU250x. A smaller bike is more nimble and forgiving of the mistakes a newer rider will inevitably make. I almost dropped my TUX in the parking lot the other day at work. My TUX will do 70MPH and is very stable, but there's not much left in the tank if you try to gas it at 70MPH. Good Luck.
Thanks man! That's exactly what I was looking for in terms of an answer. I'm definitely going to take the class and will consider my options on which kind of bike to get after it's done. I'm actually leaning towards a kawasaki over the ducati now just because the repairs on the ducati can get expensive and plus it would be old. I can afford a fairly new kawasaki if not brand new.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A Ninja 250/300 or CBR 250/300 would both be great starter bikes. The SV650 would be another great option.
In my experience, they both can do over 70 mph for extended periods of time with no issues.
I also HIGHLY recommend taking the BRC course. They will teach you in a couple days what will take you years to figure out on your own and may save your life someday.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I always thought bigger cc's bikes were not meant for noobs to learn on, but you say a ninja 500/650 could be considered. What about an older ducati 648?
CCs are not a good measure of engine power in all cases. A 600 cc 4 cylinder can put out nearly 4 times the power of a 650 cc twin. The two-cylinder 650 is much more forgiving than the 4 cylinder 600.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A point they are not getting at though is that the Ninja 250 is not going to be comfortable at 70mph, because your sitting at EIGHT THOUSAND RPMS!!!!

This is vibrating like crazy... if you plan on doing a lot of riding at this speed (I ride 500 mi on weekends mostly highway) then you are going to need to think about a slightly bigger bike, with only 2 cylinders of course. 4 cylinders is way too much power for a newbie, trust me. I have the Kawasaki Ninja 500 and it does fine...

I appreciate your humbleness by the way, when I came here and asked about sportbikes they responded very rudely.

·
American Legion Rider
19,467 Posts
It is no ones intent to come across rude. Trust me on that. We do try to steer newcomers in a direction that won't harm them. Your first bike is not your last bike. It's best to learn on something that won't kill you first. Being rude is not the intent.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have said "learn to ride another day" so many times by choosing a smaller bike, that sometimes I think maybe I should just let mother nature do some weeding. We do have enough fools to not worry about losing one or two. Oh well. Guess I'm still in a bad mood. Some people do need a slap up side the head though. Know it all's!!!
Cowboy, you are fighting Darwin. You just can't win that one.
Urban is a young person with too much testosterone that thinks he can control a higher powered bike and treat it like I do my Vision touring bike. So far he has ignored all suggestions to take the BRC before buying anything and is set on getting a bike that has too much available power with, but I won't really use it, statements. Sorry but that just doesn't wash. If you feel that you need that much power you will use it. As a person who really cares about new riders, I am as dismayed as Cowboy about the drive to buy a too big bike. I hate it when someone I know, even over the internet, dies of pride.
It sounded a bit ruder when I was new as I can tell there are a few commoners here. You were all just trying to look out for new riders so thank you, but try not to come off as condescending.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
A point they are not getting at though is that the Ninja 250 is not going to be comfortable at 70mph, because your sitting at EIGHT THOUSAND RPMS!!!!

This is vibrating like crazy... if you plan on doing a lot of riding at this speed (I ride 500 mi on weekends mostly highway) then you are going to need to think about a slightly bigger bike, with only 2 cylinders of course. 4 cylinders is way too much power for a newbie, trust me. I have the Kawasaki Ninja 500 and it does fine...

I appreciate your humbleness by the way, when I came here and asked about sportbikes they responded very rudely.
Wrong

Neither of the two Ninja 250s I used to commute on vibrated like crazy at any speed, from zero to over a hundred mph.

If any of the 250s you've ridden did so, something was wrong with them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wrong

Neither of the two Ninja 250s I used to commute on vibrated like crazy at any speed, from zero to over a hundred mph.

If any of the 250s you've ridden did so, something was wrong with them.
What would it be then? I fear cleaning the carbs because of the need for what is called a re-sync. Just got new plugs yesterday.

·
Registered
257 Posts

My CBR250R is a single that turns almost 10K at 75 mph and its really not an issue. Unless youre deathgripping the bars, the vibes arent going to bother you.
My little 250 vibrates less at redline than most Harleys do just off of idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts