Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I hear more people lugging their bike than you would imagine. It's not going too slow stopping or starting. It's being in too high a gear cruising. Apparently they think if they a cruising at 35mph they should still be in their top gear. I hear it all the time in group rides. Just lugging the heck out of those engines. With a great big smile on their face.:thumbsdown:

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear more people lugging their bike than you would imagine. It's not going too slow stopping or starting. It's being in too high a gear cruising. Apparently they think if they a cruising at 35mph they should still be in their top gear. I hear it all the time in group rides. Just lugging the heck out of those engines. With a great big smile on their face.:thumbsdown:
Seen that Lots .. One reason put it out here .. :71baldboy:

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
I'll never understand why people today are afraid to rev their bike or their car engines, it used to be you could break something if you got carried away but nowadays most engines are rev limited anyway, you literally can't hurt them. To me a revving engine sounds happy :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Maybe it is because tachometers have been disappearing from many styles of motorcycles. I hear a lot of lugging V-twin engines already in high gear by the time I'm switching to second.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another reason to buy sport bikes. We may not have fuel gauges, but we do have tachometers!

Thanks for the read though. I didn't know most of that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's one thing everybody over at the vtx forum is cautioned about all the time. Lugging any engine is not good, lugging one with big pistons and high torque is especially risky.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Same thing with my v-4 higher rpms are happy rpms, and better gas milage

·
8,606 Posts
You know the scenario when you are cruising in the country and then a small town has warning signs dropping your speed in increments? Well my VTX 1800 had to be in either first or maybe 2nd gear to do so without bucking and shaking:frown: Some bikes just don't like it! My past 1800 Goldwing could be easily kept in 5th gear @ 25 mph through those towns and then accelerate as smoothly as butter on the way out. 6 smaller pistons allow this to happen.

My new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster doesn't really like to be bogged down either, with 3, 800cc pistons.:wink:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
My V-Max can putter around down to 2.5k without issue, but if I wanna pass, I better bring the RPMs up to between 3-3.5k if I need to accelerate if I wanna avoid lugging. Granted, in 1st or 2nd gear, she seems just fine in the lowest ranges, but she really wants to be up more in the RPMs. You can feel it.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Just to show you how bad lugging is as far as fuel economy goes, and I've confirmed this several times over the exact same course, if I am in sixth gear doing 70mph, I get 40mpg. In fifth gear at 70 I get 42mpg. So you are doing harm in two different ways. Now my bike is geared rather high but that just help proving that lugging is not good for these engines. How people can be in sixth and doing 45 is beyond me except they like hearing that near potato potato sound. Their mechanic on the other hand likes hearing the cash register.:D

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
How people can be in sixth and doing 45 is beyond me except they like hearing that near potato potato sound.
This kind of reminds me of the old two cylinder John Deere tractors. When you lugged them way down on a heavy load you could distinctly hear each cylinder firing... POP...POP...POP...POP... :biggrin: Of course they had massive flywheels to help maintain momentum.

I can cruise fairly quietly through residential neighborhoods in 3rd or 4th gear on my vStar, but if I have to go up an incline or accelerate, downshifting comes first.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
This kind of reminds me of the old two cylinder John Deere tractors. When you lugged them way down on a heavy load you could distinctly hear each cylinder firing... POP...POP...POP...POP... :biggrin: Of course they had massive flywheels to help maintain momentum.

I can cruise fairly quietly through residential neighborhoods in 3rd or 4th gear on my vStar, but if I have to go up an incline or accelerate, downshifting comes first.
Pop corn machines :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I love those old Johnny Pops. Don't have one so that could change if it did.:D

·
Registered
274 Posts
As a very avid cyclist who has logged over 100,000 miles, I can confirm that running in too high a gear is very bad for the engine.

I am the engine!
This is the top mistake amateur cyclists make, with having the seat too low a close second.

·
Nightfly
4,416 Posts
Maybe it is because tachometers have been disappearing from many styles of motorcycles. I hear a lot of lugging V-twin engines already in high gear by the time I'm switching to second.
I completely agree with you Dods. But I remember a year of so ago when I was switching my stock Sportster speedometer to a Harley digital speedometer and an analog tachometer and everyone on this forum thought I was nuts. "What the hell do you need a tachometer for?" was the usual response. "I can tell by the sound." Sorry, but I've always found the tachometer a vital tool in getting the most out of my engine, especially when I was racing. But actually just as valuable on the street. But I guess those big hog motors don't need one. Or so the thinking seems to go.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I boogie along about 80 mph....about 2450 in 6th gear with no problems....i don't see it as a problem.....besides that it feels comfortable.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I boogie along about 80 mph....about 2450 in 6th gear with no problems....i don't see it as a problem.....besides that it feels comfortable.
Your Bike must be geared a whole lot lower than my Ultra was .. 80 MPH was around 3,000 RPM in 6th Gear on my Ultra ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts