Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have found a ton of useful information on the site during my quest for information before buying my first bike. Figured I'd stop being such a lurker and chime in about myself here before I get some advice on my first bike section. I'm sure I'll be one of those askholes in time. :tongue:

My name is Joe and I'm now 26 about to buy my first motorcycle.

Well, a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of experiencing an engine fire on my old S10. Was a solid truck for a little over a year, but of course- I was completely unaware that my temp gauge was actually broken and there was a hole (not crack- but somehow a legitimate hole) in a coolant delivery pipe in the back of the engine.

I decided shortly after the S10's death that I would aim for a motorcycle...which terrifies me in a lot of ways living in Naples Florida having only ever ridden a 200cc scooter that an ex girlfriend bought for me after my truck was stolen when I was 20. I didn't take the endorsement course because I was actually oblivious that I needed it. I looked at the manual- figured the controls- rode it around the block a couple times and decided to just throw myself on the road. Did so and survived. Somehow. Rode it for about a year without any issues with the law- just one fun experience with a con of a mechanic...then it was stolen.

It's been about 5 years since my big orange scooter disappeared- but every rider I talk to seems to want to talk me out of getting a bike. It feels like a club that no one wants me to join. One of the biggest arguments I get (other than living in a town where the majority of the population age 60-70) is the maintenance and how a small car will be cheaper. Now the embarrassing part...

When I was 22 I got a DUI- one that I most certainly deserved and spent the next two years paying for. I didn't get far from the bar before I got stopped without an incident- bombed the sobriety test- did my 24 hours- then got hit with the book. I can't tell you how often I've been crucified for driving under the influence while talking to people and trying to warn them how the choice will ruin their lives. I take it as part of the sentence they gave me. In Florida, like Virginia, we require FR44 insurance for the next three years (as opposed to an SR22). As a result- the insurance for one year on my S10 with the minimum FR44 requirements comes out to around $2600 a year. I can't pay per month- every 6 months I have to pay $1300. After talking to my insurance agent, the yearly cost of a motorcycle would be right around $400.

While saving that chunk is one of my main priorities- a big part of this is that I've always wanted a motorcycle. When I was 15 my father worked at a bike repair shop in town and took me on a ride around town. I immediately started saving the money for a bike- got around $2500 in my bank from my first job to have my mom tell me it wasn't going to happen. :icon_mad: Pretty much gave up on it from there. This was wise on her part considering the silverback population here.

But here I am as a more mature, safer person and feel like I've got a better chance at survival now. I'll be taking the riding course here in the next few weeks and have decided not to try and choose a bike until after that. More studying and trying of bikes seems to be in my future and I'll be reading as much as I can here. Thanks for all the information you guys have here. Take care.

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha, never again. It's a rare bit for me to even have a drink anymore. I knew when the judge said "make an example" that I didn't know how sorry I really was yet.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Taking the BRC is a great place to start. Riding the scooter should be an asset to you when you do start riding. Good luck to you.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
The wife and I go down to No. Fort Myers annually, and sometimes we go (like this year) at least twice!!

If you are somewhere in that area, let's meet up, the next time I come down.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on. Sounds awesome- hopefully I'll be on the road and able to keep up. =P Looking forward to taking a trip up central Florida once I feel comfortable enough. Missing the clear springs in Orlando.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.............Looking forward to taking a trip up central Florida once I feel comfortable enough...........
A ride across Alligator Alley towards Fort Lauderdale, would be fun!! One ride I wanna take one day, would be from Miami to Key West.

-Soupy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Welcome from Nebraska! Sounds like you've matured a lot since your DUI incident and subsequent consequences. Some folks just don't learn from their mistakes so kudos to you!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from the hills of East Tennessee
I used to vacay in "Punta Gorda",Sarasota Fort Myers etc. back in the 80's, First wife had family there,Loved it!
Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts