Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
lt doesn't look bad to me. I wonder what year it is? If it is too new that would be a red flag at that price.

I am guessing that the stickers are there to cover up the crunch that he mentioned.

If there is a true red flag to me, it is that it says 12k miles but the photo of the odometer says 11k. This tells me that he tried to sell it 1000 miles ago and was unable to. 1000 miles ago was right in the thick of riding season. That is the biggest red flag to me. I was bike shopping all Summer and any good bike went fairly quickly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lt doesn't look bad to me. I wonder what year it is? If it is too new that would be a red flag at that price.

I am guessing that the stickers are there to cover up the crunch that he mentioned.

If there is a true red flag to me, it is that it says 12k miles but the photo of the odometer says 11k. This tells me that he tried to sell it 1000 miles ago and was unable to. 1000 miles ago was right in the thick of riding season. That is the biggest red flag to me. I was bike shopping all Summer and any good bike went fairly quickly.
I just asked and it's a 2009. The scratches don't bother me too much as I'll probably drop it at least once, however you are right about the mileage. Not too sure about that.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
That seems awfully cheap for a 2009.. You are looking at $500 for tires and brakes, though, so he may be pricing that in. l would ask if it has a clean or rebuilt title.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seems awfully cheap for a 2009.. You are looking at $500 for tires and brakes, though, so he may be pricing that in. l would ask if it has a clean or rebuilt title.
Clean title according to him. I'm not sure if its a pretty good deal or if there's something I'm missing.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I don't mean to discourage you, but something seems off to me. 2009 and above Ninjas go for closer to $2500, even if they have been downed, in my area. Hartford is not an inexpensive place. I would for sure take someone with you that knopws a thing about bikes and really take your time when you take it for a ride.

A lot of sellers say cash in hand to ride. This is the kind of bike that l absolutely would not hand over cash for to take it for a ride. You hand over an envelope, the bike is a piece of **** and doesn't work right, next thing you know you drop it because things aren't in proper working order and he is saying, "You dropped it, you own it." Possibly an alarmist attitude, but if my gut tells me something, l have learned to listen.

Also, something that l had to remind myself of when l was bike shopping...there is always another deal out there. If something doesn't feel right, then leave it alone. Another bike will come along tomorrow. And you'll know when it feels right :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to discourage you, but something seems off to me. 2009 and above Ninjas go for closer to $2500, even if they have been downed, in my area. Hartford is not an inexpensive place. I would for sure take someone with you that knopws a thing about bikes and really take your time when you take it for a ride.

A lot of sellers say cash in hand to ride. This is the kind of bike that l absolutely would not hand over cash for to take it for a ride. You hand over an envelope, the bike is a piece of **** and doesn't work right, next thing you know you drop it because things aren't in proper working order and he is saying, "You dropped it, you own it." Possibly an alarmist attitude, but if my gut tells me something, l have learned to listen.

Also, something that l had to remind myself of when l was bike shopping...there is always another deal out there. If something doesn't feel right, then leave it alone. Another bike will come along tomorrow. And you'll know when it feels right :)
Could it be because of the miles? It really sucks that I don't really know anyone who rides who'd be able to help me out in this situation when it comes to evaluating if the bike is a dud or not. I'm just hoping it's not too good to be true.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
12k miles does not begin to explain a low price on a 6 years old bike. In real world engine terms that thing is barely broken in. The miles are way low if you ask me. I have over 19k in the first 18 months of my own bike.
I would also be suspicious, but it is not the odometer making the price seem wrong.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
12k miles does not begin to explain a low price on a 6 years old bike. In real world engine terms that thing is barely broken in. The miles are way low if you ask me. I have over 19k in the first 18 months of my own bike.
I would also be suspicious, but it is not the odometer making the price seem wrong.
Maybe we are trying to say the same thing in different ways...

The bike is 5 years old. It has 12k miles on it, which is a couple thousand a year. Since the photo has 10,800 miles on it and the listing say 12,000, this tells me that the photo is a few months old, from when he tried to sell it previously. This is why the mileage is a factor...it doesn't even matter why he was trying to sell it mid-season, just the fact that he wasn't able to, this raises a red flag for me.

Also something to consider is this is a 250 sport bike you're talking about, not an 1800 cc cruiser. 12k miles isn't huge, but way more than just broke in for a bike like this. It would be way easier for someone to damage the motor on one of these than your Victory.

And let me repeat, l am not saying that this bike is a jalopy...just saying that it just doesn't feel right to me. I would probably just pass on it. If you do go look at it, make sure it runs like a top.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I think it's the bargain of the century. I'd get over there with cash, IMMEDIATELY.

What year did they go to FI on the 250 Ninja. If that bikes a fuellie it's an even better deal.

I've seen a lot of scams on craigslist, but this doesn't look like one. With the scams they always want to ship you the bike, it's never some place you can actually go look at and ride it.

I'll give a guy $500 in cash to hold while I test drive a bike...that's enough to buy new Tupperware if I drop it. As long as he's got the title he can always call the Popo if I don't return with the bike.

Clutch replacement suggests it was abused, but...so what? If the new clutch works well, and the motor sings, what else matters? Tires, brakes, probably a new chain and sprockets....and youer' good to go.

Of course, showing up in boots, leathers, gloves and a helmet tells him you're a rider, not a tire-kicker.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Could it be because of the miles? It really sucks that I don't really know anyone who rides who'd be able to help me out in this situation when it comes to evaluating if the bike is a dud or not. I'm just hoping it's not too good to be true.
If you do decide to pursue buying this (or any other) bike but don't know too much about bikes, then INSIST part of the sales agreement is that the bike gets inspected by a local motorcycle garage "at your expense". If the seller is confident the bike is in great shape then he shouldn't object at all. However if he gets nervous about this requirement then grab your stuff and RUN don't walk away from the bike.

·
American Legion Rider
21,200 Posts
That's exactly what I do. You'd be surprised at the little information tidbits that start popping out. Many times that's all that takes to tell you if it's a go or buy. But it is good to put them in a position that they know the truth MUST be disclosed.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I was unawares all US spec Ninja 250's were carbureted, and only the new 300's are FI. Apparently Euro and Jap Ninja 250's were FI. AND....the carbureted 250's actually made slightly more power.

Not that I'm ever going to buy another carbureted bike...hell no. I've dealt with my last pair of stiff-as-a rock carb boots and rebuilt my last carb. Ever!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of the feedback guys! I'm most likely going to see it this weekend with someone who knows bikes and we'll see what happens from there. Now just to get this through my parents :confused: I'm an adult but I still live with them and they don't really agree with the idea of me getting a bike, even though I've already taken my MSF course.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I appreciate all of the feedback guys! I'm most likely going to see it this weekend with someone who knows bikes and we'll see what happens from there. Now just to get this through my parents :confused: I'm an adult but I still live with them and they don't really agree with the idea of me getting a bike, even though I've already taken my MSF course.
That would interesting to know how's the condition and deal with that bike, report back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would interesting to know how's the condition and deal with that bike, report back!
Well in answer to your question, my parents basically said hell no. Since I still live under their roof I'll respect their rules but I'm gonna try again next year or maybe the year after. I will be getting a bike, its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just the typical "it's dangerous" speech. I know the risks I was willing to accept them to be willing to ride. I was ready to go out to see the bike, I had already gotten my own insurance quotes, and I was ready to get my gear, and had already taken and completed my MSF course. I was trying to show them that I'm responsible enough to tackle this, however their rules are their rules I guess. I wouldn't want to do anything to stress them out too much so maybe ill have to wait until I move out, or hopefully they'll budge sooner than that. It's a real downer cause I was ready to ride but I'll have to put it on hold for a little while unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts