Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
The article concludes, regarding the Harley and the Indian, "It shouldn’t have been much of a surprise, but the two are standouts in this category." I'm not sure how the author(s) reached that conclusion; it surely wasn't by the numbers, even though the article's subtitle is "by the numbers". I don't have any skin in this game, I don't care a whole lot how the bikes stack up. But I think the authors' conclusion is pretty subjective.

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
The article concludes, regarding the Harley and the Indian, "It shouldn’t have been much of a surprise, but the two are standouts in this category." I'm not sure how the author(s) reached that conclusion; it surely wasn't by the numbers, even though the article's subtitle is "by the numbers". I don't have any skin in this game, I don't care a whole lot how the bikes stack up. But I think the authors' conclusion is pretty subjective.
--

Of course the ride results will always be subjective unless you're measuring only numbers. One of the things that sold me on my Eluder was the riders' comments in the Dam Shootoff on which bike they would choose for long over the road trips. That was the choice most of them made. It isn't the fastest or the lightest, but the over the road comfort is fantastic. It was the number one choice for most of them. That made a big impression on me since I would never have been able to test a whole bunch of bikes.

In my last day of a 9,000 miler last summer, I tipped the bike over while parking and when I fell off tore all the tendons in my left triceps. That made that arm pretty much useless for awhile. I thought maybe I broke the arm. I was afraid if I checked into a motel nearby, I wouldn't be able to unload my pack, get cleaned up, load up and be able to ride the next day if the arm swelled up. I asked a truck stop driver to help me right the bike. Then in order to be able get home, I just went ahead and rode another 600 miles that day so I would be in my driveway when I stopped for the evening. To this day I only have partial use of that arm. But I'm glad I was on a bike that pretty much stays right down the roadway without much effort.

Even if my bike were faster, or had more power, or more chrome (which I didn't want since it takes too much time keeping it clean), it wouldn't have worked any better for me. (Although if it had a siren and red flashing lights I may not have had to be stuck for so long in Denver's traffic!) :love:

--

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not your writing hand and arm is it Ron? I've said before, if that Eluder been available when I bought my last bike I might very well be on one instead of my Roadmaster. They are all very good machines. It's really personal preference in the end for the most part. And what's available to you from a dealer prospective. Example, Moto Guzzi's are extremely hard to find dealers here.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Of course the ride results will always be subjective unless you're measuring only numbers.
That was the point of my critique. Here's a screenshot of the top of the article, for ready reference:

Although it's "by the numbers", the article included only two tables (and plenty of other numbers buried in paragraphs of text making them very difficult to compare). And then at the end a conclusion not supported at all by any of the numbers. An interesting read, but with a very misleading title.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,808 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ronk, are they going to be able to do anything to get your motion back?

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ronk, are they going to be able to do anything to get your motion back?
--

Thank you for your concern. Surgeon on the case was not current on procedures necessary for torn triceps tendons as it's rare (although not an excuse). For the time an operation needed to be done, the period was missed. Became inoperable to be successful. However, I'm doing my own made up exercises to try to grow tendons where none exist. Don't have anything more to lose by that, don't 'cha know! ?

--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts