Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The winter is holding on pretty tight this year with freezing temps nearly every morning. Actually that might not be a bad thing, because the wind is not blowing very much and that makes riding fun.
I finally decided that the newest member of Slumlords Stumble needed some exercise. I rode the CB750 to the town in which the GL1200 was stored to pick up some parts and returned home on the 1200. Not being used to the quiet smoothness and being in a bit of a hurry, I just rode it into the powerband where it felt strong. I glanced down at the speedo on a long stretch of county road and could not believe that I was going 97 MPH. I would have guessed 75.

You cannot just go by guessing on a quiet smooth bike when you are used to a louder bike that lets you know it is there.

I noticed something else that was weird. the 'Wing is so smooth at the speed limit that on a divided highway, it almost appears that you are sitting still right on the road as in front of a movie screen with the other cars coming toward you.
So get out there and ride. It's not really al that cold with a wind screen...

·
Registered
59 Posts
......................................... .......................
So get out there and ride. It's not really al that cold with a wind screen...
Easy for you to say, its 30° outside here with a strong cold breeze. We didn't get anywhere near the 51° they promised on the news this morning.
I went bike shopping both around here and over in PA and froze my butt off on a couple of test rides.
I almost didn't go after hunting around all morning trying to find my tag and my good gloves. I searched five trucks before I found them stuck behind the seat in my tow rig. My hands were numb just fumbling with keys in the cold this morning. We even had a bit of frost. Its supposed to go down to 25° tonight, and I'm an hour south of Philly here. Last weekend we were all out surf fishing. A couple days last week I was out side working in a T shirt. Today I needed my full Carhart jumpsuit to ride.
With all that this morning I still went out and hit a few dealers looking for a bike, including one test ride through the PA hills that reminded me its still too cold to consider this riding season yet here.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,487 Posts
Got up to 50 today, 60 something tomorrow and almost 70 on Saturday. I started the RSTD today along with the sports car. I will drive/ride both sometime in the next few days. The FXSTS has a broken lense on a turn signal, Broke today. Have a replacement on order.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I rode the XS1100 Yamaha last week. On the ferry Yami was running next to a same year GL1000. Yami has new quiet pipes on. I was pleased that the engine was a lot quieter than the other guys Gold Wing.

Rode the Triumph up Island after a couple of laps on the XS400. The speed limit is 60 K which is 40 MPH. I try and stay under 100 K or 60 MPH, on account of the deer. But next thing I was doing 70 mph on Noddy. Our main roads are 2 lane, paved and bumpy, with one straight about one mile long.
The 400 is doing 6000 revs at 60 mph.
I will be on the freeway in a couple of days, on Noddy.

Yami is in the sick bay for a few days.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Was able to put in 125 miles yesterday. It isn't weather keeping me from riding anymore. It's my back. But I'll keep going as long as I can when I can. It did get up to 75º but not while I was out riding. It was still in the low 60's. What some say is perfect. I prefer 80º myself. 90º even better.

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Glad you had a good ride, the weather in PA and NJ has been great, 25-28 every morning, 45-50 every afternoon, crystal clear and dry. My car hasn't moved from it's spot in the driveway all week.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the best rides I ever had was to pick up a tool I needed 70 miles from home. Basically a 150 miler with one rest stop. I just threw on my carhartts 2 layers thick to keep my core temps up. My fingers stayed warm at temps of 31 and down to 23 at the end. I cannot stand the heat over 85 and much lower than that with higher humidity.

This does not make me tougher than anyone here on the forum, just different from the average. Coldest I ever rode in was about 5 degrees F

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Coldest I ever rode in was upper 20's, I think. A friend of mine had bought two, 200 or 250 Suzuki dirtbikes.
He wanted to go riding. The was about a foot of snow on the ground.
This was back in my younger, dumber days but we had a great time riding trails through the woods, making the snow fly in the fields and packing the spokes until it looked like both bikes had solid, white wheels!
Best part was when you wiped out, you landed on a soft blanket of snow.
When the shadows started getting long, he backed his pickup into a ditch and we rode the bikes right into the bed.
Nope, didn't get stuck in the ditch. Four wheel drive really works good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts