Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Visionary
4,400 Posts
Why do you care what he does with his bikes?

·
Shadow Moderator
1,166 Posts
Some people rescue dogs and cats. Other people rescue motorcycles :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
386 Posts
Ya, hate to see most any bike go to scrap.

There's a guy on another site, making a living, building what he calls monster bikes.
Buys or gets the older big touring rides. Gold wings, Vulcans, V maxes, v stars, whatever, for about nothing, and just strips them down. Then, builds, with mostly what came with the purchase, naked, cleaned up and fresh painted kind of cafe, or what he calls, monster bikes.

No two are alike.

Then sells them for 3 or 4 grand, to the younger guys, that want, apparently, a monster ride.

·
Registered
Buells, Hardley, Suzuki, Beemer, and a big Katoom
71 Posts
Yea, I get what you're saying, Intruder. It sucks when someone destroys a perfectly good, or almost, bike.
They stopped making Buell motorcycles in 2010 but parts are still easily found.
But there are people out there, parting out the bikes for profit, instead of selling them whole, and running.
It tears me up every time I see an old Tube framed Buell get disassembled and sold for parts :cry::(

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I get what you're saying, Intruder. It sucks when someone destroys a perfectly good, or almost, bike.
They stopped making Buell motorcycles in 2010 but parts are still easily found.
But there are people out there, parting out the bikes for profit, instead of selling them whole, and running.
It tears me up every time I see an old Tube framed Buell get disassembled and sold for parts :cry::(
Buell motors are popular choice for custom bikes. Lots of power.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,949 Posts
So give him 300 and quit whinning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Motogrady, I’m already on the badweb.
been a member since the 90’s 🏍😁

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
386 Posts
Motogrady, I’m already on the badweb.
been a member since the 90’s 🏍😁
Had a feeling you might be over there.

I lurked over there when that closing thing went down. Was like a soap opera for a few years, Eric is in, Eric is out, Hero is the savior, Hero is the villain, the light fixture guy
won the bid, the light fixture guy lost the bid,
the scrap guy was the savior, the scrap guy was the villain.

I know there are some pretty passionate, to the point of being radical, guys over there😄

·
Registered
79 Cb750f
386 Posts
Eric is a short guy and all Buells are short(wheelbase)
I met him once, at a show, yeah, he’s short.

But a lot of guys are. From what I understand, the factory motogp bikes are kinda short also.

I tell you guys, the last ones that came off the line, the 1190s?, those were some beautiful bikes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Erik is a talented Engineer, and created some gorgeous bikes that handle like a dream.
I've met him on numerous occasions, and he was always humble, personable, and smart.
He would chat all day, or ride all day, How many folks can say they rode with the guy that designed and built the bike they were riding? And then sat around drinking beers with him later.
Fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm. Definitely some interesting patents from that guy.
The 1190's were great bikes with some damn good potential. I was never a fan of that upswept rear end look.
I don't like having my nads sliding down into the gas tank, but i agree, they were some beautiful bikes.

And yea, you gotta take them badweb guys with a grain of salt, some of the threads over there keep me chuckling most of the day. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I met him once, at a show, yeah, he’s short.

But a lot of guys are. From what I understand, the factory motogp bikes are kinda short also.

I tell you guys, the last ones that came off the line, the 1190s?, those were some beautiful bikes.

Looks like Buell is making a come back.

Buell Motorcycles is back in production in America. The new Buell Motorcycles will launch 10 performance models by the 2024 model year. The exciting models will be representative of the superbike performance and handling expected of the legendary brand. Exciting times ahead for fans of American Motorcycles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yea, I've read that. It's in name only. Harley released it's claim to the Buell name a year ago, and these guys, LAP the company that liquidated EBR bought it up. They did not get any of the intellectual properties though. Harley still owns them.
Those couple of guys from LAP started building bikes from the massive amount of parts they inherited, (couldn't sell) and have been building about 3 a year. This is still 2015 technology, the last designs that Erik Buell used before shutting the doors. They have been building them under the EBR name because they had gotten that with the liquidation. Now they have the rights to the Buell name and are hoping to pull some of the Buell fanatics on board saying Buell is back. A lot of people think they are going to pull it off.

Personally, for me, Buell was all about Erik Buell and his elves, as we call his employees.
They focused on the best handling american made sportbike, with the shortest wheelbase, lowest center of gravity, so much torque, and so much fun.
The people I met, the friends I have made, will last my lifetime. It was a great experience back in the day, and is still fun as hell to ride the bikes today. I've never had the same experience on any other bike.
I've never met the man that designed and built my Hondas, Kawasakis, Harleys, Bmws, Suzukis, or even my old Indian. I certainly never sat down for a beer with the man that created or built any of those other bikes.

Buell, the name, might be back, but to me. it will never be the same without Erik Buell.
Erik Buell is currently busy building electric bicycles, and motorcycles for a company called Fuell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts