Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been 4 years now since I sold my last touring bike and after two Goldwings and the Triumph Trophy, I'm kind of missing a long distance machine. The Guzzi and the Kawasaki are great bikes for their purpose, and they're both keepers, but neither have that long distance comfort that I've been craving lately. I ran across this 45 year old fully loaded classic at a very attractive price that's hard to resist. At $1700 dollars, I could at least get my money back parting it out. I spoke to the owner and he says everything works on the bike except the cassette player (but the stereo does work), and always stored indoors. Has a lot of OEM extras such as led lighting, his and hers back-rests, new tires, oil & filter change, differential fluid changed, custom pinstriping, and he says its ready for the road. We'll see tomorrow. Honestly I don't know a lot about these bikes other than what I've been reading up on, but apparently these bikes have quite the following and are considered pretty bullet proof. I know a few things to look out for such as checking the air ride system for leaks, charging system for proper charging voltage and the normal stuff like brakes, cables, instruments on the dash and such, but is there anything else I might need to look at on such an old bike like this?
1984 Yamaha Venture XVZ12
9400 miles
$1700.

Reactions: Jo6pak

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
35, thanks Krusty.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
9,400 or 94,000 miles?

If 9,400 miles, I don't care what any blue book says. If it's as clean as it looks, IMO it's a STEAL if it's running like the owner says. Make sure you test ride, and make sure those carbs are working good, with no lag, revvs without hesitation when warm, etc. Carbs are costing around $100 each to have removed, cleaned, and replaced in my area.

See how the clutch operates, bike shifts, listen for unusual top or low end noises...you know the drill. If the oil has been changed, but is still dark, smells burn, IMO it went too long without a proper change, or the odometer isn't correct, and I'd back off.

Also, I'd have the brake fluid flushed and replace the lines if they are cracked or look aged. Replace all old fluids, drive shaft, etc...maybe even have the shocks drained and re-filled. Check the inside of the tank for rust.

Let us know how the sale went ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Beautiful bike, has always been one of my favorites! At that price it would be worth finding someone who knows it well to go over it completely. I believe those carburetors are a bit of a bear.

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
If that's really 9400 miles and it looks as good in real life as it does in the pictures I think you found a keeper there!

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
A bike that old most likely does not have the sixth digit on the odometer.
If it doesn't, that could easily be 109,000 miles if the thing rolled over once.
That mileage seems way too low for a bike that old.

I'm dealing with that here now.
I have a 76 Goldwing that shows 77,000 miles on the odo.
From some of the problems I've had, I strongly suspect
that it really has 177,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Wow That's a beautiful bike. Never rode one long distance, but I remember they would run circles around the Goldwing I had back them.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
First Gen Venture's are fairly indestructible. There is a site where you can find out all about them. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it was 9400 miles and the price was irresistible. Unfortunately I missed out. The bike was on the other side of the state, but due to tropical depression Barry hanging just off shore earlier this week, we had 3 days of torrential rain & thunderstorms. My daughter only had the one day to drive me over for me to ride back. It started clearing yesterday, so I called again hoping to make the trip over and it was sold. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'll keep looking, but I doubt I'll run across a deal like that one again. It was for sale by a custom bike building shop owner.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Yes it was 9400 miles and the price was irresistible. Unfortunately I missed out. The bike was on the other side of the state, but due to tropical depression Barry hanging just off shore earlier this week, we had 3 days of torrential rain & thunderstorms. My daughter only had the one day to drive me over for me to ride back. It started clearing yesterday, so I called again hoping to make the trip over and it was sold. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'll keep looking, but I doubt I'll run across a deal like that one again. It was for sale by a custom bike building shop owner.
Maybe not that same brand and model, but there are more cream puffs out there. Keep hunting! Sorry to hear about the storms that set you back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts