Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So I decided to buy CBR600RR (2008) as a first motorcycle. The reason why, is that I want to start from sport ones. Yes I can get 150cc, 250cc or 300cc and get "better" experience, but I know it will be boring for me. I'm not afraid of ~120hp it has, but I am NOT gonna play with it irresponsibly. My intention is NOT to go 300km/h in the first ride, or even on the first season.
Lower CC motorcycles are pretty good as I know to learn how to drive, to feel what it is like to ride a motorcycle and not to worry when dropped (Yes, I will drop it for sure). But it will be too little for me I think. I want to feel it, I want to know what it's like to ride 600RR and not to die in the first week.

So my question is, is it possible to start from this motorcycle? And what difficulties I will face while riding it.

Thanks in advance!
Also, if you have a better suggestion (even 150cc motorcycle) please tell me. Yes I somehow decided about it, but will consider any suggestion from experienced riders.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You sound like a idiot.... Typical squid . Your mind is made up, you won't listen to anyone here that gives you solid advice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,455 Posts
Nick, have someone send us a copy of your obituary so we can turn it into a 'Sticky' to warn others about the danger of a 600cc RR Sportbike as a first choice.:thumbsup:

Wake up! You probably won't be able to even afford the Insurance even if you can purchase the coverage.:thumbsdown:

RIP:eek:

Sam:smiley_mornincoffee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked for an opinion as a newbie, and all you do is talking ****. I hope you have better things to do. If you don't want to give an advice and just point that it is a BAD idea in that way you are doing, please go elsewhere.

·
8,455 Posts
3 posts and you are telling me to go elsewhere:D

How's this Newbie: Try to find a nice CBR1000RR or a nice ZX1400 or a nice V-max or a Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster or the like and enjoy:thumbsup:

Does this make you feel better ?:eek:

Have a great day!

Sam:smiley_mornincoffee

·
Registered
89 Posts
I asked for an opinion as a newbie, and all you do is talking ****. I hope you have better things to do. If you don't want to give an advice and just point that it is a BAD idea in that way you are doing, please go elsewhere.

Everyone gave you what you asked for you whiny snot nosed brat! You don't like the answers you got, so you cry . PISS OFF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ace Tuner
2,796 Posts
Nick,
Welcome to the "friendliest" forum on the net... :coffeescreen: As you can see everyone wants to help. Lol
The problem with starting out with a fast sport bike is that it's real easy to go faster than you intended before you realize your speed.
If you watch your speed closely, very closely as you learn a CBR can be safe enough to learn on.
It's up to you not the bike.
It's just that the bike is going to be begging you to 'ride over your head' every time you throw a leg over it.

Semi Short Story...
The first time I repaired a crashed Suzuki Hayabusa that had suspension damage I had to be sure everything was working correctly.
On the test ride I intended to run up to about 100 MPH, hit a few familiar bumps on a familiar road.
Everything was fine, the bike responded as it should. Then I looked at the speedo, 150 MPH!!!
I'm no stranger to BIG MPH numbers but this was the first 'Busa' I'd been on.
Moral of the story.
You gotta watch yourself every second on any sport bike even if you have a lifetime of experience riding/racing fast machines.
Being a new rider you gotta be extra, extra careful.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
So my question is, is it possible to start from this motorcycle? And what difficulties I will face while riding it.
Hi Nick, welcome!

It's possible to start on that bike in the sense that all you have to do is purchase it and throw your leg over. Do I think it's a good idea? Probably not, but I know plenty of people who have learned to ride on 600cc sportbikes. It really depends on the person I guess - I know some folks who shouldn't be riding 250's!

It's not being afraid of the bike that's the issue - the problem with learning on more powerful bikes like that is stuff goes pear shaped really quickly. If you are set on THAT particular bike, be careful and don't push your limits too hard.

I think the insurance suggestion above is important. If you're required to carry it I definitely recommend researching its cost!

Good luck!

W

·
0 Posts
Hi nick I would consider a gs500f as it was my first bike very forgiving and easy to ride .Ride it for a season and get your cbr or something else you might change your mind like I did . either way good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If that's what your heart is set on, then go for it. :thumbsup:

The bike itself isn't any more dangerous than any other. The only thing that would keep you from safely learning to ride that bike is your own lack of experience and your inability to make good decisions. So, you'll either figure it out and be okay, or you'll injure or kill yourself. S'up to you, Amigo. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would suggest taking the riders course and getting your license, then decide on a bike. When I got my license, I signed up for the course, but realized I needed my permit to take the class. I had to push back the class from June to August while I got my permit.

In the meantime, I went and looked at a lot of bikes. Those 250cc bikes seemed so small, why would anyone want one? After finishing the class, I realized they were the right tool for the job while I ramped up my skill set. Those skills like swerving are more easily learned on a lighter more nimble bike and you're going to need those skills with everyone on their phones these days. With a larger more powerful bike you have to learn to ride while managing the weight and throttle. Not to say that it can't be done, but it's kind like juggling four balls instead of three.

As a result, I ended up with a 250cc bike that was a lot of fun to ride, though not particularly fast.

I say pick up a used Ninja 250/300 or maybe a CBR250/300, which are still plenty fast, and learn how to ride. Then in a season or two you can probably sell it for close what you paid and get the bike you want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't go trying to look cool or even care what other people think when it comes to riding and starting out.
A sports bike 600 is faster than a cruiser 600 and less forgiving.
If you must start on sports bikes for the added cool guy factor then you're getting into motorcycling for the wrong reason.
Your mind needs to be focused at all times at the task at hand. Not outside opinions on whether or not your bike is manly enough.
Work your way up like anything in life.

If I wanted to go camping for the first time I'm not going to book a flight to Mount Everest, climb thousands of feet and camp in a blizzard off the bat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SemiFast cmonSTART walmon Eye_m_no_angel Calculon Oldman47 cheechee1
Thanks for responding and giving me helpful advises. I will read everything carefully and decide later which I should buy first. Every tip is helpful especially from experienced drivers.
As Calculon said, Ninja 250/300 or cbr300 is a good one to start. I also have some other motorcycles in mind, like Kawasaki ex300 and Honda cb500. As I guessed, starting with 600RR is a bad idea just because it has power I can not handle yet, and it doesn't matter how responsible I can be while driving, I sometimes will have a desire to go faster and faster, not looking at speedometer. Also it will be a waste of power of that engine if I will just go from home to work in busy traffic in streets(I don't want to buy it for that reason only, it's just an example). That motorcycle is like super sport, racing one.
The reason I wanted it, was that i didn't want to spend money on something I would have to sell in months, or not powerful enough to have fun with it (I don't mean 200-300mp/h. For me having fun at this point means somewhere between 70-100 mp/h). Also, not too fast and not too slow. While being a newbie, I thought that 300cc was kinda "slow" and 1000 and above was "very fast", so 600cc was somewhere in the middle and the best one to start riding. That's why I posted it here and that's why I wanted an advice from experienced drivers.

And a little bit about looking cool and showing off. I don't want to buy a motorcycle and spend big amount of money just because to "impress some girls". They don't care what you have inside your engine if they are kind of girls who are impressed just because you own a motorcycle! It really doesn't matter you have 125cc or 1000cc one, what matters is that you own one :D So no, I'm not spending my hard earned money on this to impress someone.

Sorry for my grammar mistakes, English is not my native language.

Thanks again guys ^_^

·
Registered
74 Posts
SemiFast cmonSTART walmon Eye_m_no_angel Calculon Oldman47 cheechee1
Thanks for responding and giving me helpful advises. I will read everything carefully and decide later which I should buy first. Every tip is helpful especially from experienced drivers.
As Calculon said, Ninja 250/300 or cbr300 is a good one to start. I also have some other motorcycles in mind, like Kawasaki ex300 and Honda cb500. As I guessed, starting with 600RR is a bad idea just because it has power I can not handle yet, and it doesn't matter how responsible I can be while driving, I sometimes will have a desire to go faster and faster, not looking at speedometer. Also it will be a waste of power of that engine if I will just go from home to work in busy traffic in streets(I don't want to buy it for that reason only, it's just an example). That motorcycle is like super sport, racing one.
The reason I wanted it, was that i didn't want to spend money on something I would have to sell in months, or not powerful enough to have fun with it (I don't mean 200-300mp/h. For me having fun at this point means somewhere between 70-100 mp/h). Also, not too fast and not too slow. While being a newbie, I thought that 300cc was kinda "slow" and 1000 and above was "very fast", so 600cc was somewhere in the middle and the best one to start riding. That's why I posted it here and that's why I wanted an advice from experienced drivers.
Nick, if you really want a sport bike, you might want to add a Yamaha YZF-R3 to your list of possible bikes. It's got plenty of everything you'll need, but isn't outrageous for a beginner to use and learn on (and typically gets stellar reviews). Top speed is a more "manageable" 107 mph or so (but I never have gone that fast on a bike, and hopefully never will, unless I'm on a racetrack). But that shouldn't be a concern...what you hopefully want - and will end up with - is a good bike to learn on, yet one that you will want to stick with for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Nick, you answered some of my questions in post number 16.
I wanted to ask about your reasoning for the Honda 600 choice.
My advice has always been to ride a 250 dirt bike, in the dirt for a while. Get used to having a bike move around under you.
Too: It is not just the bike, there is more to learn about riding in traffic, things I am sure you have not thought about.
The cages will cut you off. Newbies are generally not ready for that. You may think you are riding great, but you did not practice extreme stopping. Your first entry in to a corner with two much speed, will bring home the reality of riding, and what you need to learn.

I have been riding a long time, and been plenty fast enough, but I would not buy a 4 cylinder sport bike for the street. The engine is not suitable for everyday riding. It requires too many revs nearly all the time, and that gets boring. Fine for the track, but not the street. The SV650 Suzuki is a better street bike IMO.

It is amazing what impresses some young girls. Ask how I know, while I can still remember that far back.
Today I rode my 83 XS400 Yamaha in the rain.

Unkle Krusty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds good Nick.
It's not just your control of the temptation to go fast that's dangerous you have to allocate room in there for user error as a new rider.
I've almost ran into my trashcans simply leaving the drive way starting out lol ( non-flat uneven driveway.) Things happen, you naturally grab the throttle, next thing you know you're poppin a wheelie an grabbing for dear life if the bikes too powerful. Where as you blip the throttle on a more forgiving starter bike and you get a scare not a repair bill.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've had a couple of sport bikes, 600cc FZ6 as well as a Triumph 1050 and an FJR 1300. I don't see a problem with starting on one functionally, they work like any other bike.

The problem on a bike with that much capability, is that it's ability far exceeds yours (and mine frankly). It is VERY easy to over-ride your abilities on a bike that will break the speed limit in 1st or 2nd gear, and handles like it is on rails. Therefore, it is also VERY easy to get yourself into situations that you are not skilled enough to handle.... and that, is how you crash.

I wouldn't recommend it for the above reasons. You'd be better off buying a used Ninja 300 or even a 650 twin or something, and spending some period of months on that making mistakes on a far more forgiving platform.

Good luck either way. If you go for the fast bike, you'd best stay almost completely out of the throttle for a long time IMHO. It will be hard though, as those bikes just want to... go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts