Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my beautiful '83 Maxim, all stock except for the obvious accessories you see (top kit, saddlebags, windshield and grips). I'm not interested in chopping it like most people do with these bikes, but what I'd really love to do is black it out… bars, signals, engine, exhaust, headers.. everything. However, I have zero experience with automotive painting and limited mechanical experience. I really don't want the finished product to look like a cheap back yard "hack job", but I don't think I can afford to have it professionally done, although to be honest, I haven't got a clue what that would cost.

Anyway… what's your advice/recommendations for doing this? Tank and fenders can stay gloss, but I think I'd like everything else matte. My mufflers are also a bit rotten and I think I'd like to go with a new 2-into-1 system, it looks like the Mac system can come with black headers so I may not have to worry about that tiny bit.

Attachments

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You could have a lot of the parts powder coated. Things like the fork tubes and exhaust pipes will have to stay as they are. The biggest trouble with that is anything you change will have to be removed first.

The cheapest option would be spray paint. There would still be some disassembly to have it look decent, but not as much as powder coat.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That is a good looking bike! :thumbsup:

I'd go with black pipes and muffler and leave the rest as is, but that's me. It's your bike and it oughta be the way you want it. :icon_cool:

Spray paint is actually pretty easy but if you haven't done it, you'll need to practice first, preferably on odd shapes so it's similar to the bike parts you'll be painting.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Google Yamaha Midnight Special to get an idea what your bike would look like with lots of black.

Like Metaldoc said, painting isn't too difficult. But, if you have a garage, I would recommend making a makeshift paint booth. In other words, make a smallish "room" in the center of your garage out of plastic sheets (4 walls, frame, ceiling) to minimize dust getting into your paint.

Amazon has books on how to paint motorcycles, too.

·
Premium Member
8,955 Posts
Mns

I have an XS1100 Midnight Special. It is my parts bike.
On your XS400, I would leave the engine silver. It looks good to me.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
just lift it up, using somekind of crane, and dip the whole bike in plasti-dip. Make sure you plug all the nessesary openings like the carb and air cleaner. you should have some blades to cut the shocks open, and free any steering you might want to use....

just an idea! bad idea, but an idea.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just lift it up, using somekind of crane, and dip the whole bike in plasti-dip. Make sure you plug all the nessesary openings like the carb and air cleaner. you should have some blades to cut the shocks open, and free any steering you might want to use....

just an idea! bad idea, but an idea.
Aw, but it sounds so simple! lol

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Plasti Dip comes in spray cans... like spray paint.

Peels off if you don't like it.

Most of the matte on my bike is Plasti Dip, except the pipes. Simple to use, youtube it.

Here's a before and after...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts