Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is sort of weird. So, when I ride my CB100 and sit back in the seat a little, I have high RPM issues and can't get over 30 MPH because it sputters to death. Why is it, when I sit all the way forward in the seat like I'm supposed to, does it function fine? I just found it a little weird that I spent the last two days adjusting the carb trying to find why I kept leaning out at high RPM, only to have it fix itself when I sit forward.

I'm thinking it may be my leg saving air from hitting the air cleaner and forcing its way into the combustion chamber. Is there something I'm missing here? (Also, I'm putting this under "repair" since it was a functional issue with the bike, and not under the riding forums.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Must say its the fist time I have ever heard of this but 2 things instantly pop into my mind. 1st as you said you could be blocking air going into the filter box. 2nd whats under the seat? Not sure how big a guy you are but could it possible that you are flexing the seat a little and causing some type of short/bad connection underthere causing the ignition not to be fireing properly.

Both are pretty far fetched IMO but worth looking at

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
throttle

What you are experiencing is called throttle.

Either your accellerator cable/controls are worn and your leaning forward causes it distortion and failure, or your throttle hand control is broke and you are not exeriencing what actually is happening cause it would probably wreck you.

just a hint.... start with your simplest fix, your controls, then look for something more serious. there also could be a crack in your CDI box? your shifitng your weight might force a crack in the board apart and cause your ignition to fail.

heres a big if... there are goblins in your machine, and the pygmys have chosen to run them off the mountain... just an if. depends on what if means.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The Cb100 has a slide type carb. A pretty simple carb with no diaphragms inside I am thinking that the cable going to the carb should be checked to make sure that it is not bound up. Perhaps you sliding in the seat presses against the cable and lets the slide wire not be in a bound up position?

It took me a few tries to get my CB100 carb to keep from binding,and also the jets are really small and difficult to clean. I finally had to replace the idle jet as I could not get it to clean up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts