Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone (sorry for bad english its not my native) so i bought a 2007 xt660x bout 3 months ago and it was perferctly fine and everything and then all of a suden after maybe 7 days not turning it up because of a bad weather. So when i fired it up after maybe 1 min i noticed the pipes were staring to go red and a strange smell from i think the radiator area so ofcourse i turned it off asap. I dont know what it could be or what got wrong but i checked it had enough antifreeze in the radiator an the color of the oil was just fine and regulary changed. if anybody knows something please reply. And yea i almost forgot what could be the problem with radiator because when its showing me therse not enough antifreeze in the reservoir i cant refill it up the normal hole where it should be refilled because its full to the top witch leads me to think that maybe it has some kind of air blockade in the system maybe, and that strange smell i mentioned what could that be i dont know im just frustrated because i just wanted to go on a daily ride and that happened. Please give me some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Certainly sounds like it is too hot.
A cooling problem, or a lean mixture problem.
On the cooling side. Stuck thermostat, fluid not circulating, low fluid.
Mixture side. Depends on what type of brain, and what type of fuel supply system it has. Crabs would not suddenly run lean. But an ECU controlling injectors could have bad input from a sensor.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
The extra hot exhaust could also be something nested in the pipes, keeping them from flowing smoothly.
That's what I'm wondering. Would also explain the strange smell. It doesn't take mice or rats long to build a nest in the confines of a muffler. They love those spaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is probably not your issue, but was mine about 2 years ago, I was having overheating problems for awhile, and everything tried did not work. Then I thought of something that was too simple... the filler cap had a crack in the gasket! A couple of bucks and 4 years later it is still perfect.

Ah, and I just thought of a Shadow 1100 I had up until 15 years ago. One day it started overheating, even though it was cold out. Tried all the simple things, tried all the suggestions. One thing I did not try (because the owners manual said "DO NOT") was to fill the radiator instead of the overflow. Did that, rode another 5 years with problem solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts