Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the moto from it's 6,000 mile service. New 2015 Moto Guzzi v7 Stone. After riding for about 15min the moto starts stuttering, back firing, and jerking forward. Never had any issues before. I get home the the exhaust is glowing cherry red.

In addition to the cherry red, there's a bluing of the exhaust pipe in a perfect ring bookending the glowing red, the bike smells of something burnt and a white smoke was rising off the exhaust pipe. I've never experienced anything like this. Is it safe to turn on again? I'm a new lady rider and kind of freaked out.

Is this something I can fix on my own or should I ride (or get it towed) back to the shop? Any suggestions would be helpful!

(I'm not able to post images)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It is likely running too lean. This will overheat the engine and ruin it permanently. I'd suggest calling the dealer and having them tow it back to fix the issue before running the engine any more. Hopefully nothing was permanently damaged, but thankfully it should still be under warranty.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
WAY lean.

I would haul it back, assuming there is a warranty, and you have not "monkeyed" with the tune.

There could be catastrophic consequences, including engine seizure or burnt pistons.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I'm not making fun of you. I looked at a Ducati at a pawnshop yesterday. Beautiful bike. Marked down from $6999 to $2999 I'm sure it's fun as hell to ride. But I asked myself:

"An Italian bike? Why would you want THOSE headaches!"

or more precisely, "why would you want MORE of those headaches!

My Vespa is a big enough pain in the ass, even to change a tire I have to carry specialized tools.

(the old days of a Vespa having a built-in spare wheel/rim and being able to change it with an allen wrench are long gone.

Sounds to me like someone @#$#'d up during the 6000 mile service.

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
Italian

Contrary to what Wade said, Your Guzzi does not have much in common with a Ducati. Kind of like comparing a Hummer to a Corvette because they are both US made.
The V7 Guzzi is a sweet bike. It is not making a large amount of power for its size. They are usually quite reliable and a joy to ride.

What Dods and the others have said. Something is not right. I would not run it. It needs to be checked.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
If it was not like this before the 6000 mile service, and now it is, that servicing shop messed up something, and they need to correct it. If the pipes are severely discolored, I would demand those be replaced. Hopefully that is all that has been affected. Do not run the engine again until it is serviced for this problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes I would like to know how the dealer takes care of their mistake.
Cherry red is just bad anyway you look at it.
Seems equivalent to a oil change and sending it out the door with no oil in it.
But maybe with luck it might not have hurt it to bad.

If the motor is making ticking noises and weird crap after it is repaired, to fix the over heating issue, would hate to hear them say that is normal and not to worry.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts