Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When trying many different gear types I was quite disappointed. I tried many different balaclavas claiming to be breathable. I even tried cutting a nose portion and mouth hole into some of them. No matter what I did my glasses would fog up badly.

Let me save you the wasted money, time, low quality rides.

Buy an open face Nomex hood. Majestic Fire Apparel makes a good one. The material breaths.

Freeze-out Warm'r Balaclava and neck gaiter are great for colder temps.

Advanced foggy/freezing fog weather plus glasses:
Having airflow into your helmet is key to preventing fogging. A cheater way to get more airflow into your helmet is to crack your visor a tiny bit. That being said I strongly advice against this while moving in freezing fog. It will get inside your helmet and do it to your glasses. Gotta keep ur visor down and wipe from outside.

The proper way you want airflow is through helmet ventilation systems as well as keeping the space between your jaw and under the helmet clear.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I think you are on the right track here. My neck warmer from the dollar store works fine. My Seirus balaclava also works well. Many like me use full face helmets. The visor can be cracked a little with good results, when behind a wind shield. For folks who wear glasses there are several problems.
Sometimes some jackets will not do up at the top, when extra clothes are added underneath. This is where an extra size bigger helps. The vents on all my helmets do not seem to make much difference. Some folks use an anti fog spray on the visor.
We have been hovering around 99% humidity this past week.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I can't open my visor just a tiny bit to keep it from fogging. I have to open it a full inch to its second detent. Anything less and it will fog right up. It does have a second Pinlock® Anti-Fog shield but I have yet to install it. I prefer fresh air anyway even if it is cold.:smile_big:

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Cool helmet. Looks like they copied my mask that I use when sanding the bottom of the boat.
That helmet does not cover the temple area very well, but does give good visibility. This same issue came about many years ago, after the bright lights studied the visibility of footy helmets. Helmets were then made with a larger window, which were then not approved by the ratings folks, for not covering the temple area.
Here we go again, take two.

A problem with glasses is not just the fogging issue. Getting them on is difficult with some helmets. Some helmets push the glasses down on to your nose. I do not wear glasses for riding, but I was the safety guy at the track many years ago. Steve Baker wore glasses. If you do not know who he is, you need to study your US motorcycle history.

UK

·
S Rank
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@CTX pretty cool helmet. id be a little concerned about that flap dancing out or breaking off in a crash tho.

I seen other snow sport related balaclavas with this style of gas mask esq breath ports. They had terrible reviews by glass wearing users saying the still fog.

Fogging has as much to do from excessive heat as it does moisture in the air. I work at a sandplant and use these style masks. Granted they are heavy duty Hepa filters and not open breath holes I still experience difficulty with fogging. The issue with those style masks imo is everyone has a different nose. My nose is above avg large and has trouble having a proper seal around the top portion. Tiny bit of hot air shoots right up my glasses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
try a dry soap bar. put onto your finger and rub it into your glasses both sides and both glasses. (Hope your glasses have a hard coating. I am not sure if it will damage your glasses.) Then wipe off with a cloth, until soap stripes are gone. It works. I used shaving soap bar. (brand De vergulde hand) You will need to re-apply after some time...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts