Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up early this morning. Decided to take bike out for a spin, get a cup of coffee, clear out a few cobwebs. It's cool and damp out. I had to keep stopping and pulling over to wipe off my glasses cause they kept fogging up on me, to the point I couldn't safely see. I was having an even worse time with the over the glasses goggles. I ended up taking those off and deal with the eye watering problem (till they just dry out that is). I go get my coffee and now I'm starting to rethink my helmet situation, maybe a full face with a shield would be better on days like this. Noticed the guy at the next booth wiping off his facesheild and had asked if he was all fogged up too and he said yes and it's driving him nuts.

So, have any of you found that magical product that stops your glasses/shields from fogging up?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
there are a lot of products out there for that...one (yeah I know, funny name but people swear by it) is called Cat Crap (Google it lol) but I'm thinking that with the cool damp weather (especially the damp part) that maybe it wasn't so much fog you were dealing with, but a light mist or some condensation on your goggles and glasses....

also there are some 3/4 helmets with face shields, no need to go full face (I can't wear a full face, it just bugs me too much) my daughters first helmet had one....

·
Registered
535 Posts
I only ride with a full face helmet, I've seen what happens to your face or to your helmet when you fall at speed. Inside the visor I have what they call a "pinlock". It's an insert that prevents your visor from fogging. My glasses don't fog because there's air flowing through the helmet behind the visor, keeping my glasses from fogging. Only when I stop at a light, I sometimes lift my visor a little to let fresh air in.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
On both my full face and my 3/4 I found that leaving the face shield one click from fully closed keeps the fog from my vision. It seems to promote better air flow across the face shield.

·
Registered
535 Posts
On both my full face and my 3/4 I found that leaving the face shield one click from fully closed keeps the fog from my vision. It seems to promote better air flow across the face shield.
That works at low speed. At >100mph you want to close your vizor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always only used a full helmet and I wear glasses too. My favorite is my HJC FS-15 carbon fiber and it only weighs 3lbs. I honestly don't even feel it on my head... I recently got an anti-fog replacement shield for it and it works amazingly well. It simply will not fog up. And if I leave it cracked open on the bottom as well, my glasses never fog up either and I get plenty of ventilation.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Just don't go out in the early morning fog............that's all.

Some mornings, my rear-view mirrors get glazed in moisture. Yesterday morning, the fog was pretty thick when I rode to work. I had water droplets all over the bike when I parked it.

I remember a full out rainstorm I rode home in once..........was using my left hand like a windshield wiper on my full-face helmet's face shield, all the way home.

Sometimes you just can't win for loosin, as they say. That's why I thought the simpler approach worth saying. ("Just don't go out..........").

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I use the pinlock anti fog shield. No way would I leave the visor open a notch in the winter though, at 10*, it doesn't take long for my face to freeze. I'm sealed up like a vacuum packed piece of meat then. I will stick a surgical rubber tube in my mouth with it hanging down out of the helmet to breathe through, that keeps extra moisture out of the helmet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use the pinlock anti-fog shield too but the smoked replacement shields I got didn't have pinlocks. Early spring and late fall when I still need the smoked shields (drive into the sun to work and into the sun on the way home) I have to crack the shield open a bit to keep it from fogging.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking it was the morning fog too. Not much you can do about it, either keep wiping your goggles/glasses/shield or don't ride till it clears up. I just keep wiping as needed while riding.
There are gloves with wipers on a finger for that, also wipers you can slip over most gloves fairly cheap $ wise.

Glove squeegee from aerostitch
View attachment 14050

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I've never had a problem with sun glasses fogging up.

I had a pair of "Red Baron" type goggles that would fog up when you stopped riding sometimes, but I only wear those on the highway.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine would have to be prescription sunglasses. With 20/400 vision, regular sunglasses would be a danger for everyone..

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I just saw a set of sunglasses for motorcycles that comes with a snap out smaller frame inside. Apparently you take this smaller frame and get prescription lenses made to fit in it, then you can pop it in and out of the riding sunglasses.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I've looked into prescription sunglasses, and I need a strong 'script also zippy, but they are out there, some have the prescription insert like eye is talking about and some are straight prescription lenses.....and they have them for bikers with the foam padding to keep out the wind...check out Google, there are a lot of places out there

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I usually have trouble when I've been out riding early on a cold morning and I go indoors somewhere and someone has been cooking or doing the washing and my glasses fog up from the humidity in the warm air on my cold glasses.

My helmet is well ventilated, I ride around town with the visor one click open, but once on the open road or motorway I close it but have never had trouble with visor or glasses fogging.

·
Hero of Legend
1,216 Posts
Up early this morning. Decided to take bike out for a spin, get a cup of coffee, clear out a few cobwebs. It's cool and damp out. I had to keep stopping and pulling over to wipe off my glasses cause they kept fogging up on me, to the point I couldn't safely see. I was having an even worse time with the over the glasses goggles. I ended up taking those off and deal with the eye watering problem (till they just dry out that is). I go get my coffee and now I'm starting to rethink my helmet situation, maybe a full face with a shield would be better on days like this. Noticed the guy at the next booth wiping off his facesheild and had asked if he was all fogged up too and he said yes and it's driving him nuts.

So, have any of you found that magical product that stops your glasses/shields from fogging up?
Oh, there's a lot of anti-fog eyewear cleaners out there. Take your pick. A lot of them even come in pre-moistened towelette form, for added convenience. And I think most of them are good for several days or longer, before you have to do it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts