Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really glad I had a full face helmet on yesterday, I was just getting onto the interstate, was up to about 60 mph when a work truck in front and a lane over from me kicked up a rock or something about the size of a golf ball. My windshield was set low, I hadn't raised it to cruise configuration yet.

That that darn rock just cleared the windshield and hit me square in the the head so hard it rocked my head back.

Total damage a small chip in my helmet and helmet visor, but that would have really hurt if it had been my head.

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arai Signet X in ridiculously bright yellow.

Wow, good that you were wearing helmet. I was wondering, what kind of helmet do you have, sir? I mean, what brand?

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Just another reason to wear one. Usually, the biggest impacts are hard-shelled bugs - same reason I always wear leather gloves. Those things sting, but not as bad as a rock!

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Thanks for replying! I am new here and I was thinking of a new helmet to buy, as the one I've got is already scratched and that smell...
Anyways, thanks!
You can buff out or paint out the scratches, and most have liners you can take out and wash; Febreeze helps, too.:devil:

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
I've had some of my hardest hits at below cruising speed. Got a nice chip on my two week old windshield about a year ago. Ticked me off then I realized that could have be right between my eyes. It did it's job. Still waiting for something to hit my new Nolan helmet. So far I'm good but it's bound to happen.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did it multiple times, the helmet became pretty worn with time. Sure thing, I keep using it I am looking at the new ones as well.
You know, the lifetime of a helmet is finite. Most manufactures state five years. That might be a bit conservative but still, a helmet should be replaced in due course. In my earlier years I wore Bell, today I wear Shoei. AGV and Arai are good brands. The Shoei is made in Japan and I have always been impressed with the design, function and quality. Shoei tends to a Euro-oval shape it seems.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I've only been riding for a few months but already my helmet & visor have scuff marks and stuff. I don't even remember my helmet being hit by anything. Glad I have a full face helmet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once i crashed and wasnt wearing helmet, head and face hit from front on road, bleeding...
difficulty in starting byke,,,
after five min severe headache, could go home.
took to the emergency by fellows luckily coming on same route midnight.

lesson if wearing helmet cold take care of my self from there

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do too. It’s your head, you can choose what to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Amen to that! I will ALWAYS wear a helmet, whether it's just a two block ride to the liquor store, on my Moped around town, or a good long cruise. However....I do not need the Govt. telling me what I may or may not do. And yes, my helmets have saved my bacon over the years more than once.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above.

I think helmets should be required in all states, and we need to revisit the DoT standard (it isn't one, really). I also think the MSF basic course should be mandatory for a license for under 500cc or whatever the electric equivalent would be, and an experienced course should be required to advance to unlimited displacement/energy levels.

The AMA sides with industry's argument that such restrictions would limit access to licensing, and thus sales. They are relying on a customer base that will impulse buy machines that it cannot operate safely. I think that approach is harmful to both people and the industry. It also mars the reputation of motorcycling among the general public. Freedom of choice is nice, but it comes at a cost in lives, money, and the health of motorcycling as a publicly acceptable mode of transportation. You don't hear a lot of outcry about seat belt laws, any more. Helmets are very similar.

Anyway, for those that already ride well, the MSF classes are very easy and anyone can learn something from them.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I recently discovered yet another nice advantage to wearing a helmet: Overpasses in the winter. My visor ate a very big chunk of ice fallen from an overpass. It got a tiny nick and exploded the ice. I don't think my face would have been as successful as my helmet was. :O

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.