Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the last few days I have met, or been told about three different riders who decided to give up on motorcycling. One witnessed a biker waiting to make a left turn and being hit at speed by a distracted driver. He said it scared him half to death thinking that it easily could have been him. The second was a man who approached me to look at my bike while I was getting gas. He said that his full dress tourer was just too heavy for him so he was quitting riding. When I asked why he wasn’t thinking of a lighter bike, or switching to something like my Spyder, he said if he couldn’t ride his Ultra, he would just as well quit. The third is the husband of one of my wife’s friends. He turned 65 and decided out of the blue that he was just too old to ride a motorcycle anymore.

Riding has been a major part of my life for close to 40 years now. I just cannot imagine stopping riding altogether unless I literally could not find a way to continue. I missed a couple of years of riding after my one and only real mishap back 20 years ago, and just recently traded in my Goldwing for a 3 wheeler, but I’m still riding. And if the Spyder ever feels like too much, I’ll have to be satisfied with my little 149cc scooter, but still riding.

I just wonder if some riders are somewhat apathetic, or were riding half heartedly, looking for a reason to quit. Of course it’s everyone’s right to do what ever they want, but I sure will not give up riding until close to being put in the ground.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,435 Posts
Interesting timing for you to post this. I have two guys in my riding group that have decided to hang it up, neither are old, sick, injured etc. One I saw coming for a while, his interest waned, and his riding skills had really tarnished. The other was a total surprise. Went from a die-hard long distance traveler to not feeling comfortable on two wheels anymore...super weird.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had a guy tell me yesterday that he "doesn't ride anymore because its too hot in New England now." It was 88F yesterday which is perfect riding temps, imo. Anything under 80F and its cold when you get moving.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I had a guy tell me yesterday that he "doesn't ride anymore because its too hot in New England now." It was 88F yesterday which is perfect riding temps, imo. Anything under 80F and its cold when you get moving.
I've never been to New England, but 88 degrees seems like it would be miserable. Is it not humid there? I bet your mornings and evenings are amazing. I lived Michigan until I was 24 and an 88 degree summer day was muggy. I've lived in Las Vegas for a long time now, and we have no humidity, so 88 degrees is ridable, but with the glaring desert sun, it's still super hot.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
278 Posts
I have to admit that the thought of giving it up crossed my mind while I was laying in the hospital after my encounter with a deer. Thankfully, it passed. After all, life is a crapshoot, and you can't let a rare freak occurance govern your life. No sense riding stupid and flaunting the odds, but if you enjoy it, then keep riding..... just ride safe.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I meet guys often who have quit, saying they used to ride. Any excuse is as good as the next. Often and likely, they were crappy riders. Folks get in accidents in cars too. It is the perception that changes. UK

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I meet guys often who have quit, saying they used to ride. Any excuse is as good as the next. Often and likely, they were crappy riders. Folks get in accidents in cars too. It is the perception that changes. UK
I agree. Most of the guys I know who "used to ride" were horrible. Dangerous to themselves and everyone around them.

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
958 Posts
Sometimes i want to give up on riding and life soo bad, but i just keep riding through the pain.

·
Ace Tuner
3,130 Posts
These days I don't ride nearly as much as I used to. In fact sometimes I have to go out for a ride just to keep the bike alive because if it sits any longer I'll have to do a carb job. Those times I think maybe I should just sell the thing but once I'm in the wind it all comes back to me. Yesterday I went for a quick keep it alive ride and got back home about four hours later.
I'll stop riding when I'm dead... Maybe

S F

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before my accident I would ride my bike to work and get a few good rides in every week. If I could, I wouldn't change my mind about getting a bike, I fell in love with riding. Seeing pictures of my bike killed me, I couldn't save them. Even now on my long road to recovery I'm still looking for my next bike. The highs outweigh the lows for me.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Often and likely, they were crappy riders
Bingo. That’s the real reason but they’ll dig deep to find another reason. The fewer of those on the road the better.

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Lately I've thought about it. Just don't seem to have the same drive that I used to have, but I read about other riders that had serious accidents and it took close to a year before they could ride again.

I wasn't involved in an accident, unless you want to count catching covid was an accident, but I was hospitalized for 4 months and lost a lot of weight and strength. My riding ability has been severely hampered. I can get around on the wife's Sportster but not so good on my Electra Glide. (At slow speeds anyway.)

I thought about giving it up but have decided to give it at least one more year

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It's too easy to find reasons not to ride, it's hard work to get off the couch and do it. That's why it pays to ride with other riders that are addicted to riding, it motivates you to ride more. Ultimately you are either addicted to riding motorcycles or you never really were. I was addicted to riding them starting at age 10, there was never any question I will be riding them to the end, it's what I do.
... a friend JoshJosh had a wicked crash and busted his front fender just a few minutes ago in front of my house, I loaned him the fender off my spare bike so he can ride again tomorrow, (y) that's what we do.

·
Nightfly
4,566 Posts
. .. Crappy riders and fear of what "could" happen should not be riding. Those who cave in to their fear are denying themselves the opportunity to enjoy something they have done for a large portion of their life. You can find all the excuses you want for giving up riding but if you choose fear as your excuse, you were never a serious rider. I ride a hot rodded Sportster, don't care about doing 180 mph, only about quick acceleration. it is the fear that I get from riding that crazy bike that makes me feel most alive. If you say you're not riding anymore because of being afraid, then you'll find fear around every corner.
My only fear is not having the time to ride as much as I would like. At 75 I wasn't counting on having to hold down a job working all but 40 hours a week. Anything beats giving up and sitting on the sofa, drinking a cold guy, munching on a bag of chips and trying to justify that thing called fear. .. Nope, ain't happening . ...

Unlike Trials, I most always ride alone. Other riders, especially those my age, only slow me down and then end up bringing me down. I haven't time for them. I prefer the solitude of just me with my ride. .. Or my crazy younger brother on his Ducati, he's always a challenge. ..

·
Registered
831 Posts
When my health prevents me from riding I guess that is when the end will come, until then it's ride often. Like others the riders I know that have quit, some of them are young, really didn't have the passion. It was their choice to start riding, their choice to end riding. Whatever makes them happy. Others I have known to stop developed other interest that were stronger than the atraction of 2 wheels, maybe they will go back to riding after the other interest dwindle. When I was flying, I was riding and off-roading cages. It split my time, when I was riding I would see a small plane overhead and wished I was flying, when I was off-roading I would pass a couple dirt bikes and wish I was riding!! Nonetheless I managed to split my time and now I have given up off-roading and flying and enjoy the 2 wheels, splitting time with the hot rod!! A lot of guys on the mountain where I live are v-twin wannabes. they pull out the dresser 2-3 times a year for a bingo charity run. they are dangerous and they often sell the big bike after a couple years, again their choice but I would guess they never had the passion it just looked cool and they had the money to drop on the HD and all the expensive gear to try and look the part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just in the last few days I have met, or been told about three different riders who decided to give up on motorcycling. One witnessed a biker waiting to make a left turn and being hit at speed by a distracted driver. He said it scared him half to death thinking that it easily could have been him. The second was a man who approached me to look at my bike while I was getting gas. He said that his full dress tourer was just too heavy for him so he was quitting riding. When I asked why he wasn’t thinking of a lighter bike, or switching to something like my Spyder, he said if he couldn’t ride his Ultra, he would just as well quit. The third is the husband of one of my wife’s friends. He turned 65 and decided out of the blue that he was just too old to ride a motorcycle anymore.

Riding has been a major part of my life for close to 40 years now. I just cannot imagine stopping riding altogether unless I literally could not find a way to continue. I missed a couple of years of riding after my one and only real mishap back 20 years ago, and just recently traded in my Goldwing for a 3 wheeler, but I’m still riding. And if the Spyder ever feels like too much, I’ll have to be satisfied with my little 149cc scooter, but still riding.

I just wonder if some riders are somewhat apathetic, or were riding half heartedly, looking for a reason to quit. Of course it’s everyone’s right to do what ever they want, but I sure will not give up riding until close to being put in the ground.
I live in the Dallas area and I quit riding 25 years ago because of the way people drive. Today you can't drive into Dallas and back out without seeing at least one wreck. I must have gone off my rocker trying to get my bike running again.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
According to those that "know", I'm not one of them, there is no windchill factor above 50 degrees.......

but 80 degrees, my gawd, I'm in a t-shirt

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
76 Posts
I've never been to New England, but 88 degrees seems like it would be miserable. Is it not humid there? I bet your mornings and evenings are amazing. I lived Michigan until I was 24 and an 88 degree summer day was muggy. I've lived in Las Vegas for a long time now, and we have no humidity, so 88 degrees is ridable, but with the glaring desert sun, it's still super hot.

It’s been really humid here in NE the last few weeks, most of this week has been up in the 80’s, a few days near 90, and yeah, it gets pretty uncomfortable even when you’re moving, at least if you’re wearing full gear. I haven’t ridden in about 3 weeks because it’s either been raining or hot as hell.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts